Official 2014 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare, Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k Thread!

One thing I have learned is the variability of experiences at the runDisney events.

I was in corral A, and it was wide open, people showing up minutes before the start, but I hear that other corrals were packed to the gills.

Regarding the water stops, perhaps the cup-raking volunteers either were not there yet, or didn't want to enter the rapid flow of runners, in addition to it being dark out.

(2) For the duration of my stay at Disneyland Resort (Fri-Wed), neither the on-property wifi or old iPhone/Verizon allowed me to use Disboards app for the entire trip, so no online communication (could be resolved with the acquisition of a 21st century phone).

A better phone would not have helped much I do not think. We had iPhone 4s's, one Sprint and one Verizon. No wifi anywhere that would pick up and the phone signals were searching ALL the time to the extent that our phones died pretty quickly each day. I resorted to airplane mode most of the time to try and extend the life enough to get some pictures. Just texting a few post race pics and not being able to fully charge it post race, killed the battery uber fast, I gave up on texting pics or FB or most anything on the phone for the rest of the trip.

It was really really bad.

(2) Encourage the use of garbage cans for cups and cups with liquid in them. At the first water stop, a runner just ahead of me spiked a semi-full cup of water :( I was very surprised, too, at how wet and cup-littered the first water station was, even after only the first couple hundred runners.

If the cups had been half full I think this would have helped. They were big and completely full every time, if you just wanted a sip it meant a lot got dumped. Or you drank more than you wanted or needed. Both were true for me at different times.

(3) Have MarathonPhoto photographers and Disney Characters out and ready to go for all runners, even the early corrals. While I have come to expect an absence of photographers and characters early on in the race, I would sure enjoy more of both.

I really, really, really enjoyed the entire race weekend.

That is a bummer. While I don't think I saw more characters, I did see tons of photographers (starting from C). I have nothing to compare it to though.

A better phone would not have helped much I do not think. We had iPhone 4s's, one Sprint and one Verizon. No wifi anywhere that would pick up and the phone signals were searching ALL the time to the extent that our phones died pretty quickly each day. I resorted to airplane mode most of the time to try and extend the life enough to get some pictures. Just texting a few post race pics and not being able to fully charge it post race, killed the battery uber fast, I gave up on texting pics or FB or most anything on the phone for the rest of the trip.

It was really really bad.

Thank you for letting me know that it wasn't just my phone/carrier. I truly felt inept.

If the cups had been half full I think this would have helped. They were big and completely full every time, if you just wanted a sip it meant a lot got dumped. Or you drank more than you wanted or needed. Both were true for me at different times.

Yes! The cups were too full! After receiving a cup, I used the 'pinch the top together' method until I was out of the water station, and the liquid frequently sloshed out.

That is a bummer. While I don't think I saw more characters, I did see tons of photographers (starting from C). I have nothing to compare it to though.

For every runDisney race I have done, I too have seen many photographers, all over the place, but they are not shooting pictures yet but rather getting set up... and every race I get frustrated because I want that one good shot, say of WOC lights/fountains, or Expedition Everest in the dark, etc., but they are not shooting yet. It is not a huge deal, but I still get a little bummed out each time it happens.

Thank you for letting me know that it wasn't just my phone/carrier. I truly felt inept. Yes! The cups were too full! After receiving a cup, I used the 'pinch the top together' method until I was out of the water station, and the liquid frequently sloshed out. For every runDisney race I have done, I too have seen many photographers, all over the place, but they are not shooting pictures yet but rather getting set up... and every race I get frustrated because I want that one good shot, say of WOC lights/fountains, or Expedition Everest in the dark, etc., but they are not shooting yet. It is not a huge deal, but I still get a little bummed out each time it happens.
I would agree with that, so far (and I know they are still uploading) I've a ton of pics once it was light (the A, inside the stadium and finish line) but very few in the dark comparatively speaking. Which of course is everything in the parks. I am still hoping more show up as I feel I saw way more photographers in the parks than my pictures would indicate.

Those cups of water were crazy big and full. I've never been a dump on your head gal but it seemed better a couple of times then tossing it lol. Half or less or a smaller cup would have been better for me.

Total newbie question here. The DL 10k was my first race. I'm signed up for the Princess 10k next year. Does Track Shack provide certified times for all runners? Trying to see if I can submit my time for the Princess 10k to (possibly) avoid being in the last corral!

Many folks submit times from previous runDisney races for future Proof of Time. Results information can be found on the runDisney website. At the very top of the runDisney home page, you will see options to link to EVENTS, TRAINING, TRAVEL, and RESULTS. Follow the RESULTS link.

Hope this information helps. Please post back if it misses the mark on what you were asking.

Many folks submit times from previous runDisney races for future Proof of Time. Results information can be found on the runDisney website. At the very top of the runDisney home page, you will see options to link to EVENTS, TRAINING, TRAVEL, and RESULTS. Follow the RESULTS link. Hope this information helps. Please post back if it misses the mark on what you were asking.

That was very helpful - thanks!

Now my next question is if my time is slow (I think average pace was 15 min/mile with bathroom and photo stops) am I better off not submitting a time at all and maybe I'll spill over into the second to last corral? I was in the second to last corral on this race, even though it was my first, and I assume that's because there were so many newbies that they couldn't fit everyone in the last corral.

Basically, I guess I'm wondering if submitting any kind of time at all will mean I won't be in the last corral, or if they'll look at my time an still put me in the last corral based on pace.

Now my next question is if my time is slow (I think average pace was 15 min/mile with bathroom and photo stops) am I better off not submitting a time at all and maybe I'll spill over into the second to last corral? I was in the second to last corral on this race, even though it was my first, and I assume that's because there were so many newbies that they couldn't fit everyone in the last corral.

Basically, I guess I'm wondering if submitting any kind of time at all will mean I won't be in the last corral, or if they'll look at my time an still put me in the last corral based on pace.

Good question -- I don't know. But somebody here will have better help. Hang tight.

If you are only running the 10K, no proof of time is required. When you registered, you gave an estimated finish time and that will be used for corral placement. But there is always some variation, with some people getting a higher or lower corral with same estimate. In the end, it probably only matters if you are very slow or very fast. -- Suzanne

For anyone looking for next year's dates, the link I followed for my official time and certificate had a "save the date" tab; next year's Disneyland Half weekend is 9/3-9/6.

If we had parked more in front of the hotel it would have been obviously to go there. So we got the bibs first and I totally spaced on buying park tickets from GET at that time. Found the way up and into the expo. Got shirts, wandered around. Only THEN noticed the rather long line for the official merchandise.

Thoughts on that...ridiculous. WHY have this taped off line? My brother has done much bigger races than this, with far more people at an expo at one time. He was mystified as to why this area had to be all by itself and with a line. All it does is make you think it's exclusive. I don't use the word hype, because usually people misuse that (like the "hype" over Anna and Elsa, or TSMM, etc...when hype means there's something false going on, and excitement over those things is because they are good and fun things that people like) but this is Disney creating a feeling of exclusivity, that you have to line up for these things. They are creating a hype over something that, when you read the comments, just wasn't all that exciting. And it wasn't necessary.

last year, the rD merchandise was not as organized and it was a complete mess--many people were not able to get what they wanted. and those that did had to wait in crazy long lines to pay. i appreciated that they had things organized this year and that they had plenty of merchandise. they limited the number of guests in this area so that it didn't get too crazy crowded. and the check-out was organized in a way that limited your wait.

last year, the rD merchandise was not as organized and it was a complete mess--many people were not able to get what they wanted. and those that did had to wait in crazy long lines to pay. i appreciated that they had things organized this year and that they had plenty of merchandise. they limited the number of guests in this area so that it didn't get too crazy crowded. and the check-out was organized in a way that limited your wait.

There's a middle ground, though. They should look to the WDW expos. I have not encountered a line to get into the merchandise area at TOT or WDW Marathon weekend expos. It just felt really really contrived to both me (have been to Disney expos before) and my brother (has been to many, many other, bigger, way more people attending, expos before).

And since I went on the first day and second to last day, and saw *more* merchandise out on the second visit...they obviously fixed any supply problems they had.

The only thing I could think of was theft-prevention, but there are other ways of dealing with that.

I didn't have a problem with the checkout being elsewhere, although it was weird to leave on my second visit when I had nothing to buy. Had to ask how to get out.

There's a middle ground, though. They should look to the WDW expos. I have not encountered a line to get into the merchandise area at TOT or WDW Marathon weekend expos. It just felt really really contrived to both me (have been to Disney expos before) and my brother (has been to many, many other, bigger, way more people attending, expos before).

And since I went on the first day and second to last day, and saw *more* merchandise out on the second visit...they obviously fixed any supply problems they had.

The only thing I could think of was theft-prevention, but there are other ways of dealing with that.

I didn't have a problem with the checkout being elsewhere, although it was weird to leave on my second visit when I had nothing to buy. Had to ask how to get out.

I think the difference in the end comes down to space. If memory serves me correct (it's been a year) almost every WDW race has two booths set up for merchandise. The Disneyland Hotel literally doesn't have that kind of room for selling merchandise. Unless they decide to move it somewhere and the only option in the area that's bigger would be the Anaheim Convention Center. Which I guess they could so but does seem a bit overboard.

Either way there still learning. This was an improvement actually over Tink I think with the separate checkout area. I think by next time they'll have a separate exit. I think having it enclosed was to prevent another fire marshall shutdown like last year.

Anyways been meaning to post a recap on my end. But I wanted to get something sorteed out before I posted a really grumpy recap.

Long story short, my bib malfunctioned not once, but twice. It didn't work leaving the gate for the 10k. It didn't work leaving the gate at the half. Lesson learned, if it doesn't work properly at one race on the challenge insist on a new bib. Lady working runner relations said the chip was supposed to be working. But the fact it didn't catch at the start suggests that something was going funky.

Sent an email on Monday of last week with proof of self tracked time (thank god for my Garmin). And got a reply yesterday saying they would change my time sometime early next week. Checked my results on Saturday and got the really nice surprise of seeing that everything had all ready been corrected!

All ready submitted proof of time for WDW Marathon with this time. Looks like I am going to be starting in either L or M. I'll take it over whatever corral I was in before!

Anyway on to the actual race:

I ended up with an overall time of 2:47. Which was a PR of over 33 minutes for me!

But also wasn't quiet the time I was aiming for (I was aiming for the 2:30s). Not sure what happened. Might have been just the back to back races. I know I was handling the weather just fine, heck I was handling it better than the previous two years. And I was enjoying the most running room I ever recall running Disney. Moving up in pace, does that to a person, I guess.

Didn't stop for photos. Which now I'm annoyed by because I thought one of the castle photographers got me coming out of it. But I can't seem to find the darn photo. So frustration abound here. So far any attempts to find it in the unidentified photos section have come up short. So I'm wondering if someone else might have accidentally got tagged with it.

Have some digging to do either way because I can't believe that I wasn't photographed at more spots. I really want to get a copy of the photos since this is my first race post-op so digging I go I guess.

On the bright side. It looks like I've officially moved out of the back of the pack section of runners and into mid-pack as far as halfs and shorter go. Though that might change with a shorter race. Was really surprised to see that I was actually technically in the first half of the finishers to complete the race (if you take the finishers and divide it by two my placement number is before that, admittedly not by much but hey I made it). Now I want to run a 5k for time and see where I end up (its been ages since I've done one for time). Amazing how much has changed in the past year (last year there were only a couple hundred people behind me when I finished Dumbo (yeah I'll admit I finished that by scraping by) this year there were several thousand).

Amazing how much has changed in the past year (last year there were only a couple hundred people behind me when I finished Dumbo (yeah I'll admit I finished that by scraping by) this year there were several thousand).

Congrats on your time! That is awesome! This was my first Disneyland half (second half behind Tink) and the heat and direct sun before and after the stadium floored me. I was definitely one of the last few hundred stragglers but I'm so happy to say I'm a finisher! :)

The party was still going strong when I got to the finish. There was a woman crying in the family reunion area I was hoping she didn't get injured or was potentially swept (I haven't heard any crazy sweeper stories for this race... maybe everyone picked up the pace and finished!! :)

Right as I crossed the finish line I thought "why the hell did I put myself through that, I'm never doing it again" because of the crazy heat. january's run was so temperate and nice! but now I'm thinking next year I'll go Dumbo hahaha.

Either way there still learning. This was an improvement actually over Tink I think with the separate checkout area. I think by next time they'll have a separate exit. I think having it enclosed was to prevent another fire marshall shutdown like last year.

I thought the same thing, I went to the Tink expo on Thursday and waited in a 30 minute line to get into the official merchandise and they were already sold out of a lot of stuff on day 1. I went to the DL1/2 expo on Friday and was shocked I could walk right into the official merchandise with no wait, they were out of a few things but nowhere near as bad as Tink.

Congrats on the PR, that's a huge time difference!

For anyone looking for next year's dates, the link I followed for my official time and certificate had a "save the date" tab; next year's Disneyland Half weekend is 9/3-9/6.
... and hope for any revival of Expedition Everest Challenge at Animal Kingdom next year appears to be gone with the lack of a STD listing. :confused3:worried:

---------------------------
PJ in (still HOT) FL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter