Official 2013 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Thread

I am hoping to register for this event when it opens in June. I was wondering what your best recommendations are as previous participants? I am getting a bit overwhelmed with all of the 'extras' (chEar packets, pre-race lounges, etc. etc.). While I don't want to miss out on anything super fun or essential to my race, I also don't want to spend a zillion dollars to run in a race. So. What are your 'must-do's' and best recommendations for an 'as smooth as possible'-weekend? I will be travelling with two non-racers, who will want to possibly cheer for me along the route somewhere. We will also want to enjoy some time in the parks together.

Also, what is your best estimate for cost for the weekend? We are not first-time Disney people, however, I haven't ever done a special event in the park.

THANK YOU!!!!

I am hoping to register for this event when it opens in June. I was wondering what your best recommendations are as previous participants? I am getting a bit overwhelmed with all of the 'extras' (chEar packets, pre-race lounges, etc. etc.). While I don't want to miss out on anything super fun or essential to my race, I also don't want to spend a zillion dollars to run in a race. So. What are your 'must-do's' and best recommendations for an 'as smooth as possible'-weekend? I will be travelling with two non-racers, who will want to possibly cheer for me along the route somewhere. We will also want to enjoy some time in the parks together.

Also, what is your best estimate for cost for the weekend? We are not first-time Disney people, however, I haven't ever done a special event in the park.

THANK YOU!!!!

I can give you my two-cents worth on Chear Squad and spectators cheering from my experiences at DL. In the 3 years before the Tink was introduced, we came to DL for the DL half...first year my BF ran and it was both of our first time to DL...we've always been more WDW people :) It was also the BF's first half ever so we also were interested in an as-stress-free-as-possible experience for him. We ended up staying at the DL hotel that year since it was so close to the start line...I went with him when he left that morning and parked myself in the bleachers at the finish line before the sun came up to assure myself a spot! The following year, he ran again and bought the Chear Squad package for me...I forget what it was called but it was like the VIP package or whatever that is across from the bleacher area. There were private restrooms (that were clean!!!) nice comfortable seating (cushioned folding chairs and some outdoor-style couches, shade umbrellas and a table of fruits, pastries, juices, coffees, etc. Unfortunately for me, the BF had really kicked up his training in the moths prior and I didn't get to enjoy the area for as long as I would have liked because he got is first sub-2 hour half that time ;) However, I did enjoy it and I thought it was worth the extra $$. The 3rd year we both ran the half...no spectating :) Now, earlier this year for Tink, the BF was there to cheer me on. He studied the course map and was able to make it to 5 different places along the course (and ran with me for about a half mile at one point)...all on foot! Now, I ran it in 2:30 so obviously someone who's alot faster than that probably won't be able to have spectators make it to that many places without missing them...and he said a couple of times he really had to book-it to the next planned spot. We joked that he probably ran a half that day too, but didn't have anything to show for it! So if you have someone that's mobile and good with maps and directions, there are tons of spots where you can have your own personal cheer section! For me though, we've been 4 years in a row now, and I still couldn't tell you which way is up when I'm there though. :confused3

oh yeah, i should add, i am not really sure how the Chear Squad worked at Tink in particular...it finished in a different spot than the DL half so it may have been set up differently than it was at the DL half.

I will be staying at Disney for the race. I am doing the Coast to Coast as my birthday gift for myself. I know it's a big gift but it's for my 25th. Anyway should I book a room now or wait till the sign up day? I know you save some money when you sign up for a race and stay at Disney. I just don't know if I book the room now then tell them when I sign up I am doing the Tinkerbell.

That's what I use the 5ks for. And having it at night last year was a completely different ambiance than the morning 5ks for the DL 1/2. Everything was lit and they themed the mile markers really well. Maybe we'll be lucky and reg will be $50, but I know that's not going to happen.

From the runDisney website:

Entry Fees and Deadlines

Tinker Bell Half Marathon

$150 by July 17, 2012
$165 between July 18 and September 4, 2012
$180 on or after September 5, 2012
Never Land Family Fun Run 5K

$99 per participant
runDisney Kids Races

Dashes : $20 per child
1-Mile Run: $30 per child

I will be staying at Disney for the race. I am doing the Coast to Coast as my birthday gift for myself. I know it's a big gift but it's for my 25th. Anyway should I book a room now or wait till the sign up day? I know you save some money when you sign up for a race and stay at Disney. I just don't know if I book the room now then tell them when I sign up I am doing the Tinkerbell.

The DLR hotels arent open for booking past dec 31, 2012 right now. We're eagerly awaiting June when the calendar should be opened.

I can give you my two-cents worth on Chear Squad and spectators cheering from my experiences at DL. In the 3 years before the Tink was introduced, we came to DL for the DL half...first year my BF ran and it was both of our first time to DL...we've always been more WDW people :) It was also the BF's first half ever so we also were interested in an as-stress-free-as-possible experience for him. We ended up staying at the DL hotel that year since it was so close to the start line...I went with him when he left that morning and parked myself in the bleachers at the finish line before the sun came up to assure myself a spot! The following year, he ran again and bought the Chear Squad package for me...I forget what it was called but it was like the VIP package or whatever that is across from the bleacher area. There were private restrooms (that were clean!!!) nice comfortable seating (cushioned folding chairs and some outdoor-style couches, shade umbrellas and a table of fruits, pastries, juices, coffees, etc. Unfortunately for me, the BF had really kicked up his training in the moths prior and I didn't get to enjoy the area for as long as I would have liked because he got is first sub-2 hour half that time ;) However, I did enjoy it and I thought it was worth the extra $$. The 3rd year we both ran the half...no spectating :) Now, earlier this year for Tink, the BF was there to cheer me on. He studied the course map and was able to make it to 5 different places along the course (and ran with me for about a half mile at one point)...all on foot! Now, I ran it in 2:30 so obviously someone who's alot faster than that probably won't be able to have spectators make it to that many places without missing them...and he said a couple of times he really had to book-it to the next planned spot. We joked that he probably ran a half that day too, but didn't have anything to show for it! So if you have someone that's mobile and good with maps and directions, there are tons of spots where you can have your own personal cheer section! For me though, we've been 4 years in a row now, and I still couldn't tell you which way is up when I'm there though. :confused3

oh yeah, i should add, i am not really sure how the Chear Squad worked at Tink in particular...it finished in a different spot than the DL half so it may have been set up differently than it was at the DL half.

I have to admit I haven't even looked at the website yet so I had no idea about any of this. Can you help me decide if I should get the cheer squad package or not? Basically I know my mom, DD5 and DS1 will for sure be traveling with me. Quite possibly DH as well. They are not early risers so I know they wont spectate for the entire race. This will be my first half so I'm sure it will take me a long time to complete. I'm pretty positive they arent going to be running around anaheim to find spots to cheer me on at. They'd probably only wait at the finish line. Is it possible to do this witout the cheer squad package or do you think thats the safest route to take being as they're not gonna be there at 5am to get a spot?

I have to admit I haven't even looked at the website yet so I had no idea about any of this. Can you help me decide if I should get the cheer squad package or not? Basically I know my mom, DD5 and DS1 will for sure be traveling with me. Quite possibly DH as well. They are not early risers so I know they wont spectate for the entire race. This will be my first half so I'm sure it will take me a long time to complete. I'm pretty positive they arent going to be running around anaheim to find spots to cheer me on at. They'd probably only wait at the finish line. Is it possible to do this witout the cheer squad package or do you think thats the safest route to take being as they're not gonna be there at 5am to get a spot?

Well, like I said, the only Chear Squad info I had experience with personally was with the DL half and I don't think they've posted any info yet on a package for Tink yet have they? But, I know there are definitely places at the finish to spectate without purchasing a Chear Squad package...I had a couple of friends there cheering for me right as we turned the corner to the finsh chute and I was able to hear them call out my name when they spotted me. The packages just normally include a reserved area so you are somewhat guaranteed a spot...as long as it's not jam-packed when you get there. If your family isn't planning on being out there the whole time and may just try to see you at the finish and time it to arrive shortly before you are expected to cross, then I wouldn't think it would be worth it to buy any cheer squad packages for them.

I was wondering what your best recommendations are as previous participants? I am getting a bit overwhelmed with all of the 'extras' (chEar packets, pre-race lounges, etc. etc.). While I don't want to miss out on anything super fun or essential to my race, I also don't want to spend a zillion dollars to run in a race. So. What are your 'must-do's' and best recommendations for an 'as smooth as possible'-weekend? I will be travelling with two non-racers, who will want to possibly cheer for me along the route somewhere. We will also want to enjoy some time in the parks together.

For park tix, go through Get Travel, if they use them again ~ they have discounted tix for good prices, not sure how much they are going to change b/c DL just did a big increase, but it's definitely cheaper to go through GT. They have hotels as well, but unless you're staying at 1 of the resort hotels, you can probably find a hotel cheaper w/ a AAA card. At DL, the non-resort hotels surround the parks, so you don't have to stay at the 3 hotels, the hotels pretty much encompass the parks and they're easy to walk to both the parks and the race. For example, the HoJo is a block away and you can get the Entertainment Card Rate for 2 Q's for like $69 a night. I'm staying at the BW Park Place right at the crosswalk entrance to the parks and got $89 a night.

Race extras ~ they have pins that are $13-4. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the DL races have the lounges. They might, but I can't recall them being there. The pasta in the park is really expensive, so unless you really want to do that, I would skip it.

As for budget, it depends the big deal breaker is whether you want to stay at a resort hotel or non resort. That's where the big price difference is. As for flying, you can either do LAX or SNA. LAX is cheaper a lot of times, but a little further out.

IAnyway should I book a room now or wait till the sign up day? I know you save some money when you sign up for a race and stay at Disney.

Wait until reg opens, b/c you can get discounted rooms through Get Travel for the Disney Resorts. Their prices are better than what you can get through the parks. But if you're staying at a non-resort hotel, you can book now and get good rates.

From the runDisney website:

Thanks!!

Can you help me decide if I should get the cheer squad package or not? Basically I know my mom, DD5 and DS1 will for sure be traveling with me. Quite possibly DH as well. They are not early risers so I know they wont spectate for the entire race. This will be my first half so I'm sure it will take me a long time to complete. I'm pretty positive they arent going to be running around anaheim to find spots to cheer me on at. They'd probably only wait at the finish line. Is it possible to do this witout the cheer squad package or do you think thats the safest route to take being as they're not gonna be there at 5am to get a spot?

Like Summer said, it's a personal preference. If the course is like last year, unless they want extras like bleachers and food, we were on the street at the edge of the park until we turned for the last 100 yards or so for the finish. Your family can be on DL Way in the shade and watch you right before the finish and save $ that way. Also, for Tink, we ran through DTD around mile 4 or so, and that way they can see you during the race then head over to the finish area w/o having to go all over. It's really easy to get from DTD to the finish area.

Thanks everyone! Registration is getting closer and I can't wait!
Ordered a new pair of running shoes today and I can't wait to start running in them!

Thank you so much for everyone comments on help. This has giving me some ideas for sure. I am going to surprise my Mom and bring her with me. I am glad there are places were she can watch the race and not have to pay for the cheersquad. I can't wait to sign up. I ran the Disney Princess this year and loved every moment!

So who wants to tell me about the first half they ever did and how long they trained for it before hand?

So who wants to tell me about the first half they ever did and how long they trained for it before hand?

My 1st 1/2 was the San Jose RnR in '06. For that one I did a 16 week plan, b/c my dad was doing 16 week plans, but for the marathon. After that, I've found that 12 weeks is plenty. I really didn't do any hill or speed training and having done that w/ the one's since, it really pays to do 1 of those 1 a week. And Tink has more over/underpasses than the DL races, so the hill workouts will come in handy.

So I had a dream about the race this morning. We had to stop around mile 2 or so and take a test on american history and we had to wait in line like they have for the fantasyland rides. I was so upset b/c 1 we had to wait in line and 2 just after our muscles were loosening up for the run we had to stop and then do it all over again. :rotfl2:

My 1st 1/2 was the San Jose RnR in '06. For that one I did a 16 week plan, b/c my dad was doing 16 week plans, but for the marathon. After that, I've found that 12 weeks is plenty. I really didn't do any hill or speed training and having done that w/ the one's since, it really pays to do 1 of those 1 a week. And Tink has more over/underpasses than the DL races, so the hill workouts will come in handy.

So I had a dream about the race this morning. We had to stop around mile 2 or so and take a test on american history and we had to wait in line like they have for the fantasyland rides. I was so upset b/c 1 we had to wait in line and 2 just after our muscles were loosening up for the run we had to stop and then do it all over again. :rotfl2:

Kim--It's too soon to have dreams about the race--we can't even register for it yet.:rotfl2:

Off topic--what do you think about the "different" direction through the castle for the DL 1/2?

Kim--It's too soon to have dreams about the race--we can't even register for it yet.:rotfl2:

Off topic--what do you think about the "different" direction through the castle for the DL 1/2?

I know, I know!! :rotfl: I think it was b/c I was shopping around for my theme outfit for the DL 1/2 and changing the courses for my next race on my closet door.

I'm not really a fan of it. Wasn't it the same course we did for Tink? I really liked the older courses, b/c this one doesn't seem to have that much time in DL. And you don't have the oppotunity for a good castle pic. I'm normally not a big pic buyer, but wasn't thinking about getting a newer one this year. I just wish we could wind around the parks a little more. Hopefully, we'll get that w/ the 5k at least. What do you think about it?

I know, I know!! :rotfl: I think it was b/c I was shopping around for my theme outfit for the DL 1/2 and changing the courses for my next race on my closet door.

I'm not really a fan of it. Wasn't it the same course we did for Tink? I really liked the older courses, b/c this one doesn't seem to have that much time in DL. And you don't have the oppotunity for a good castle pic. I'm normally not a big pic buyer, but wasn't thinking about getting a newer one this year. I just wish we could wind around the parks a little more. Hopefully, we'll get that w/ the 5k at least. What do you think about it?

Kim...I like coming through the castle looking down towards Main Street that's one of my favorite spots on the course. Oh well. Can't wait for the "charming" miles through the marble and tile counter top shopping district of Anahiem. I really like the Tink course better but hey it's still a fun race and a medal to go for.

Did you get the D & B purse yet? Hope it was perfect for you.

Have you heard of the AP Early Entry you can sign up for DCA ? I was able to register for AP Early Entry for our next trip down. I just picked the day and we're in. It was too easy.

Is the map of the course online already?
Anyone else excited that we get to register in less than 2 weeks?!?!?!

I'm excited that the issues I was halving with tight calves are almost fully resolved and my shin splints are super close to being healed!!!!

I'm excited that the issues I was halving with tight calves are almost fully resolved and my shin splints are super close to being healed!!!!

We were talking about the course for the DL 1/2 over Labor Day--sorry off topic.

I'm also ready to register for Tink in a couple of weeks then in July I'll register for the Princess 1/2. The beginning of 2013 is going to be fun.

Kim...I like coming through the castle looking down towards Main Street that's one of my favorite spots on the course. Oh well. Can't wait for the "charming" miles through the marble and tile counter top shopping district of Anahiem. I really like the Tink course better but hey it's still a fun race and a medal to go for.

Did you get the D & B purse yet? Hope it was perfect for you.

Have you heard of the AP Early Entry you can sign up for DCA ? I was able to register for AP Early Entry for our next trip down. I just picked the day and we're in. It was too easy.

Definitely agree w/ you on the Tink course. I loved going through the residential and downtown part on the other side of the 5. I wish we could combine the course from the 2yr of the DL course where we did a lot in both parks and the windingness (is that a word :rotfl:) through DCA and DL and the Anaheim part of Tink.

No purse yet... I had to fax in my pass for the discount, which I did and they said they never got it. So refaxed it Tues and was charged yesterday, so hopefully beginning on next week I'll have it.

I did see the early admission and signed up. I signed up for race weekend, DL on Mon and DCA on Tues. Not sure about DCA and race weekend plans still. I keep going back and forth about staying until Tues if I don't get picked for Cars Land next week. I have the vacation time and Monday night for the hotels are really cheap, so we'll see.

Here's a link for this year's course, but keep in mind it could change a little bit. Tink Map

Congrats on your calves and shin splints healing!

Vicki ~ did you get your DCA preview email? I got a big fat "We don't want you" email. That's okay though, now I'll be in awe and surprise for the 5k. As if I wasn't already ready for the race! :rotfl2: Now that I have Monday open, maybe I'll try the new agriculture tour.

Hope you get better news!

Vicki ~ did you get your DCA preview email? I got a big fat "We don't want you" email. That's okay though, now I'll be in awe and surprise for the 5k. As if I wasn't already ready for the race! :rotfl2: Now that I have Monday open, maybe I'll try the new agriculture tour.

Hope you get better news!

Kim.....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: No preview for us either. I was wondering about you --sorry!!

Did you try the "AP Passholder Early Entry"? It not a special preview but you sign up and get in 1 hr earlier on selected day. Maybe you can try that one?

Oh well..we are staying on propery next trip ONLY to get into to DCA with early entry mornings. We signed up and got in for the AP Early entry in July so we will be able to get in to DCA early 3 days in a row.

I have been "studying" the DL 1/2 map and I think we they still may have us run through the castle towards the hub. I am hoping they have us go left near the partners statue into Adventureland or Frontierland then back around Thunder Mt trail to back of Fantasyland to the castle. I could be wishful thinking on my part.

At BW Stovalls....the AAA discounts are FINALLY in the computer. It may be worth a phone call to try and see if your rate for Tink weekend can be lowered. It was just a couple of $$ for us but that's more to spend at the expo. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter