• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Off to DW with an infant

MeMeMouse

Earning My Ears
For all of you who visited Mickey with infants before can you give me some helpful tips?
I will be going to DW in Aug. with my 6 month DD. We will be staying in the Beach Club Villas.
We will be flying and staying for 10 days. This is our 10th trip to DW but first time with a baby.(Can't wait!!!)

We travelled to DW with a 3 month old and it was the easiest trip. Infants are very portable and my dd would sleep anyplace. We didn't have to worry about the heat because we were there in early Dec. I think that the heat will be your biggest challenge. Just be prepared to go at a slower pace and stop in and take advantage of the air conditioning at some of the attractions.

We've been when our 1st was 11mos, 18mos, 22mos and 27mos- and our 2nd was 3 weeks on the most recent trip. My best advice is to visit the baby centers for a break during the day. I have been to EPCOT and MK - clean - large changing tables that are padded with neat mobiles for the babies to look at and play with, lots of good toys and places to sit and let them unwind from the constant stimulation. They also have lots of emergency supplies for feeding (food - silverware - microwave, etc.)

We also always take a few blankets from home to make the hotel crib feel more like home, and a favorite stuffed animal. We used DD's seat on the plane so for her it was like being in a car for a trip - she settled down as soon as we started to move.

We took our baby back pack so DD could ride on Daddy's back. One of the smartest things we did! Didn't have to manuver a stroller through the park and during shows we could pop her off our backs and set the back pack baby and all in our laps. (great when she was already asleep.) For rides we just popped DD out of the pack and left the pack on (It wasn't terribly uncomfortable)and she rode on our laps. oh yeah, attach a ribbon to the side for that pacifier, toy, chewy..... that are forever falling on the ground :)
A big plus, baby can see LOTS more that they can from down low in a stroller!!!

If you have a Baby Bjorn front pack I highly recommend you get one. It'll be a lifesaver.
6 months is an easy age to go with. I'm going with a 1 year old that is starting to walk and I'm a bit nervous!
Make sure you take advantage of the baby stations. They are air conditioned, havea rockers for BF moms, high chairs, microwaves and nice padded (and clean) changing tables. These stations will save you!

Have fun!

I agree, Baby Bjorn is the best! My daughter lived in hers until she was about 7 months. She loved it, and I loved it because it leaves your hands free. I tried other companies, but definately recomend Baby bjorn- it was comfortable and easy to use. I actually just pulled mine back out to use with my 13 month old on the plane for our trip to WDW tommorrow. I was happy to see its for babies up to 36". While she sits on my lap, and I will feel a little better knowing she is attatched to me. You will have a great time. I know at 6 months my daughter would squeel with excitment in the Disney Store. Your baby will be amazed by the colors, and music. Some people think it crazy to take kids under 2, but I couldn't disagree more. Doctors recomend we sing, and read to them to help stimulate their minds - Can you imagine what WDW does for thir little minds :D talk about stimulation! Good luck, and have a great trip!!!

We have been to Disney with babies and the sling was my lifesaver. Our first trip I could have sold 20 of them if I'd had them with me. Parents who were lugging a heavy baby or toddler around were quite envious of my hands free ability to carry my baby (and with little strain on my back too!) It also helped make breastfeeding discreet.

Sunscreen is another thing I wouldn't go without. Even in the winter our kids still need sunscreen. Our poor baby had a nice burn on the top of his head the first day out. Unfortunately, he had very thin blonde hair and wouldn't wear a hat. I ended up just rubbing his head with a non-oily sunscreen to make the rest of the week bareable.

Use babyswap so that you can still go on the "fun" rides. They run them differently now so always ask the CM at the beginning of the line how the babyswap works for that ride. They will happily tell you. Last trip most of the babyswaps were given either a fastpass for immediate boarding or a special coupon to get you through the line.

Have fun!

:earsgirl:

you will need:

rain cover for stroller, use it any time you leave the stroller out in august (if your stroller should get soaked, diapers are great for a quick dry off)

table toppers: these are prestrilized plastic mats that stick to the table, so you can feed baby finger foods easily.

sport baby back pack diaperbag (sportbaby.com); this is a must have for all moms anywhere, but at wdw its amazing. its got an extra handle which makes it easy to grap out of the bottom of a stroller, insulated pockets, a waterproof section, and the extra big pad is attached to the bag so you can loose it and can change baby anywhere.

a carrier for rides and places you can take baby but not the stroller.

and i almost forgot! Buy your baby a plane ticket and strap him into his carseat on the plane!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter