October to soon?

PaoDCL

Mouseketeer
Hi,
We are trying to plan our next cruise, our last one (March 21st on the Fantasy) was canceled due to the virus :guilty:.
We're try to plan for my DD's birthday which is in November but we've never been on a Halloween one that's why we are planning for October.
Do you think October 2020 is still too soon?

TIA!!

For us yes. There is no treatment or vaccine, so the fear of infection, hospitalization, or worse is the prime topic for us. We have a Nov booking, but at this point see no option that we will actually sail it.

I think so. Countries need time to become less afraid. Without a viable treatment you are taking a chance. If someone on a cruise tests positive the industry may be shutdown again

Yes.

Even if ships are sailing again (which I personally doubt), it will be flu season and one person on board with a fever could easily put the whole ship in quarantine at worst or at best not able to dock anywhere.

I have a September cruise booked. If you ask me if I would book that one again today... probably not. I'm mentally preparing for Disney to cancel that one. That said, I have another cruise booked for Thanksgiving, and I have more hope for that one. (Several cruise lines have canceled all cruises up till Sept. 21st) Your October is right in between.

It depends on your level of good health and what you can handle in risk. And whether or not you want to go with scaled back entertainment etc.

I had an October cruise, which I canceled back in March due to Covid19. Just knowing that the ship may be turned away from porting at the end of the cruise was enough to keep me away. I cannot afford to be away from my home and business for extended periods of time. Unless things drastically change, it only takes one person to test positive to put the entire ship into 14 day quarantine. Even if they let me go home, I would want to have to do a 14 day quarantine when I get home.

I think it could go either way. DH & I are considering a late November cruise as we just cancelled our flights for a planned September WDW trip. If ports are opening up, it might give us a better clue. I think it's more waiting to see not only if the ships actually sail, but what onboard experiences will be affected and if it you think it is worth the cost of the sailing. Unfortunately, everything is a wait and see game at this point. :faint:

Personally, I would not be cruising this year.
We had a June cruise (would have left next Saturday) cancelled.
But then we are older with several other of the underlying issues.

Every opinion on when Disney will cruise again is rank speculation. People who won't cruise until there's a cure or a vaccine have no idea if there ever will be a cure or vaccine...there are neither for SARS or MERS and we all went back to cruising without missing a beat. As for if you should book for October, that is a personal choice only you can make. We are booked on an October Halloween cruise and if Disney is cruising, we are going.

We are booked on a mid Oct cruise (booked it opening day last year ) but considering (a) our ship is now sailing AWAY from the west coast and (b) our border with the US is currently closed, it's not looking great and we will probably cancel in the coming weeks. Save your $$ and book one for later in 2021. Just my opinion, of course.

We are currently looking at a Florida resident rate for a September sailing. But here on these boards you are going to get the wide spectrum of opinions with no real consensus.

We are booked on a HOTHS cruise for October 2020. I've been waiting for Fall 2021 cruise schedules to be announced to decide whether to move the deposit or just cancel altogether. My in-laws live with us and even though they wouldn't be sailing, the risk of bringing something home to them is too great, and more than that, we would worry about possibly being stuck on a ship that isn't allowed to dock. Additionally, we pay a premium for DCL entertainment, including character meets, shows, themed meals with performances, and holiday-specific entertainment, all of which would likely be altered or canceled. It's hard to justify the prices for a reduced experience, in my personal opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter