October 2015 Car Rental Watch

I'd have been impressed if you stated the mgr extended a refund or even partial credit. That is unacceptable.

I will throw it out there that during holidays the providers' normal matrix of overselling vehicles due to no shows can run askew.

Our 'worst' was over President's weekend, needed a mini van and found several PT Cruisers on National's van aisle. >:( We had extra luggage since going on a land/sea trip. Nothing was else available at the airport on either side. We could barely get 2 bags in trunk, stuffed kids & bags in back seat. My DH was Executive with them at the time and was basically told "so sad, too bad". Haven't priced National since, even though I realize Alamo is same ownership, just can't bring myself to do it. Sometimes all it takes is 1 really bad experience to clinch it.

Sadly, he never offered a credit or refund.....which surprised me. He really seemed geniune in his apologies, and shocked that that vehicle was being used for rentals. I supposed I could have made an issue of it and asked for some compensation, but the trip was over so we just opted to "let it go". Quite honestly, if we weren't in such a rush to get to our flight home, I should have said something to one of the garage agents right after dropping it off. Lesson learned.

I am always worried that they won't have enough vehicles in our reserved class, and that we'll end up being bumped down. That would be super infuriating!! We were upgraded once (thank the Lord....it was our first time renting, and we booked a compact thinking it would be lots of space.....such a bad move, in hindsight, for my big fellows and ALL THAT LUGGAGE.....but luckily, there were larger vehicles on the compact row with Alamo so we dodged a bullet there) but so far, never downgraded.

Our sole Budget experience was memorable, but for all the wrong reasons. We had an SUV booked for Christmas 2012, and were assigned a Ford Edge by the garage agent (fully loaded.....a nice vehicle, had it been better maintained). It was noticeably beat up on the exterior (marks ALL over it) and it had more than 50,000 miles on the odometer. It also had a smell.....we couldnt put our finger on it, but the odor was prevalent and not at all pleasant. Turns out, we think someone must have been smoking in it at some point, and that odor was a chemical used to mask the stench. Every single time we rode in that vehicle, Jake had an asthma attack.....one was bad enough, I thought we were going to have to put our out of country medical insurance to good use. He isnt allergic to cigarette smoke, so I can only guess that the chemical smell was the culprit.

Except for the odors and it was Alamo at Sanford, I could swear it was the same veh lol. We had a mini van with high mileage, and a bump, ding and dent one every surface. We had the agent come out to document the dmg and with the price reduced to a Standard car we pulled the right fender out and drove off.
WHY, I told my son they could never pin any new damage on us for sure. Mechanically we didn't have an issue and only paid $8 a day.

Gina did you call Dollar directly? That was how I had the "deal" from the page go through. It maybe a glitch with the SFB that it isn't giving the $139-$149.

I am not sure I have all my confirmations printed and have to cancel several. I have a full size, the two diff SUV, one for an extra day, on for extra 2 hrs. Also a minivan for one week and the other for one week and a day. We leave this weekend....

Gina did you call Dollar directly? That was how I had the "deal" from the page go through. It maybe a glitch with the SFB that it isn't giving the $139-$149.

I didn't....though DH and I discussed it at long length. Ultimately, even with the deal applied (and once taxes and fees are factored it), it was still going to come out somewhat higher than our Alamo full size and quite a bit higher than our Budget full size. With our ever-dropping Canadian dollar, every little increase in the budget ends up feeling rather substantial. It wouldn't be a huge deal if this was our only trip this year, but we were just there in May and travel to Orlando again in December (then yet again in April 2016). We're a little less reckless with the travel budget when we have multiple vacations int he works.

So, we'll suck it up and stick with the car this trip. It's plenty of space for two of us, anyway. Now we just have to decide which way to go.....save $30 US and keep the Budget reservation, or spend the additional $$'s with Alamo and have the assurance that we can pick our own car (and have the potential to possibly be pixie dusted with something larger on the full size aisle). We leave in 9 days, so we'll have to make the executive decision sometime between now and then.

I didn't....though DH and I discussed it at long length. Ultimately, even with the deal applied (and once taxes and fees are factored it), it was still going to come out somewhat higher than our Alamo full size and quite a bit higher than our Budget full size. With our ever-dropping Canadian dollar, every little increase in the budget ends up feeling rather substantial. It wouldn't be a huge deal if this was our only trip this year, but we were just there in May and travel to Orlando again in December (then yet again in April 2016). We're a little less reckless with the travel budget when we have multiple vacations int he works.

So, we'll suck it up and stick with the car this trip. It's plenty of space for two of us, anyway. Now we just have to decide which way to go.....save $30 US and keep the Budget reservation, or spend the additional $$'s with Alamo and have the assurance that we can pick our own car (and have the potential to possibly be pixie dusted with something larger on the full size aisle). We leave in 9 days, so we'll have to make the executive decision sometime between now and then.

Just think how happy you would be to make the call and get one for $139 and fees. I added the $30 code too.....You could be fine with large, I still have been playing with the idea of the Thrifty full size $179 total...but then hit myself upside the head. I had a minivan for three of us last year at Thrifty and wow how nice it was, except the gas cost. But, compared to Canada the under $2 a gallon is nothing.

I need to decide and cancel some of these as we leave this weekend.

Just think how happy you would be to make the call and get one for $139 and fees. I added the $30 code too.....You could be fine with large, I still have been playing with the idea of the Thrifty full size $179 total...but then hit myself upside the head. I had a minivan for three of us last year at Thrifty and wow how nice it was, except the gas cost. But, compared to Canada the under $2 a gallon is nothing.

I need to decide and cancel some of these as we leave this weekend.

I just called Dollar....you talked me into it :) . "Jasmine" in Reservations tells me that the offer is not available at MCO (of course, if I call back, I will probably get a different answer from a different rep.....but I'm not going to bother). I will take this as a sign that we're meant to drive a car this trip :car: .

So awesome that your trip is almost here!! You must be getting super excited. Enjoy your vacation, and good luck making the final choice on which reservation to use. Even though its hard to pick, it is definitely good to have options ::yes:: .

Ah, you gave it your best shot. I guess because MCO is such a high demand airport. Keep an eye on the last minute specials if you are up to it.
I am glad I printed the one for Sanford! Funny, cause Jasmine was the agent I talked to also. I remember thinking Disney moment.
With two you will fit everything in a full size just fine. We did with three.

lol, I thought this meme summed up how I feel about the whole pursuit for good rental car rates for this trip:

I have to say, we've rented vehicles for no less than six previous trips, and this has been the strangest pattern of prices yet. We have 9 days left, so I suppose there's still time.....but I'm no longer holding my breath.

I think between all the events around Halloween and Epcot's FF&V, October is getting to be a hot commodity. Thus, no need for the rental companies to offer, even at the last minute, a lower price than first offered months ago. I always check, but alas, like you Gina, not getting terribly excited at any of the recent prices. I also haven't seen my Xmas prices lower than I picked around June too. While that is in San Diego, I am thinking supply and demand there too. So, sticking tight with both long held ressies.

I think between all the events around Halloween and Epcot's FF&V, October is getting to be a hot commodity. Thus, no need for the rental companies to offer, even at the last minute, a lower price than first offered months ago. I always check, but alas, like you Gina, not getting terribly excited at any of the recent prices. I also haven't seen my Xmas prices lower than I picked around June too. While that is in San Diego, I am thinking supply and demand there too. So, sticking tight with both long held ressies.

Yup, my Christmas rental has gone through the roof too.....more than doubled (in some cases, tripled!) since I booked several months back. Ditto to my April 2016 rental (though the latter I think will go down, as normal, in the weeks preceding our travel dates....its the very end of April, so after spring break and Easter and heading in to the "slow" time).

I hope the rental car demand for October doesn't translate into huge crowds in the parks. Or that everyone goes to food and wine and leaves MNSSHP & HHN nice and empty. Hey, a girl can dream, right? :teeth:

It might be because we always have a coupon of some sort attached to the reservation. Something in the cobwebs of my mind says that the coupon is why we needed to first visit the kiosk. Of course, we haven't rented with Alamo in over a year (our most recent trip was with Dollar) so maybe they have updated their systems since then.

Or, maybe, I'm just remembering wrong :o .

Hi, i reserved through alamo website using a discount code and i was able to do online check in and skip counter.

I'm giving up. We leave in 2 days and I don't think I'm going to get anything better than the mid-size I have at Budget for $121. :car:

I checked compared rates today - I guess because I was bored and had nothing better to do - and they went up! Don't they know that's the wrong way to go?

I went ahead and checked in last night for our next Tuesday 10/13 pickup at Alamo. The way the rates are now, I seriously doubt they will go lower than $155 for a week and 4 hrs midsize. But, if by some miracle they do, is it too late to cancel once you have "checked in"?

I went ahead and checked in last night for our next Tuesday 10/13 pickup at Alamo. The way the rates are now, I seriously doubt they will go lower than $155 for a week and 4 hrs midsize. But, if by some miracle they do, is it too late to cancel once you have "checked in"?
No just call the number they give you, and you enter you ressie number and confirm you want to cancel. I got a confirming cancellation email a few hours after calling. Easy.

Okay a couple things. I just went on this morning and the Vegas Brazil code that was adding the CDW insurance is no longer adding it. At least it wasn't when I just went on a few minutes ago. The rates are down if you add that code 7016427 with the visa AD2338FDF. I have two reservations currently. One with the code and one without the code (Vegas, Brazil) they both have the visa one. Can I keep both and say I check in online or at the kiosk with the one that has vegas code and for some reason they don't honor it can I use the other one? And if I am able to reserve without any problems with the vegas one and still have the other one what happens? Does it come up as a no show or what happens in that case? Thanks

Okay a couple things. I just went on this morning and the Vegas Brazil code that was adding the CDW insurance is no longer adding it. At least it wasn't when I just went on a few minutes ago. The rates are down if you add that code 7016427 with the visa AD2338FDF. I have two reservations currently. One with the code and one without the code (Vegas, Brazil) they both have the visa one. Can I keep both and say I check in online or at the kiosk with the one that has vegas code and for some reason they don't honor it can I use the other one? And if I am able to reserve without any problems with the vegas one and still have the other one what happens? Does it come up as a no show or what happens in that case? Thanks

I checked in online and paid in advance online for my Vegas Brazil reservation this week and had no problems getting my straight to the parking lot confirmation. I just figured once I paid and was in the car the exit gate attendant will let me through. After watching for months I wasn't going to get a better price of a minivan for $214 for a week. On the Vegas Brazil thread which I have been watching noone has had any problems with using this code. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Very interesting!! I just ran my dates with the code and coupon, and my standard car is now at $146 (my non-Vegas Brazil Alamo reservation is $161, and my Budget full size is $133).

Alamo still doesn't have a "standard" aisle though, right? You can still pick from the full size aisle?

So, now I am holding 3 reservations. Decision, decisions.....

I checked in online and paid in advance online for my Vegas Brazil reservation this week and had no problems getting my straight to the parking lot confirmation. I just figured once I paid and was in the car the exit gate attendant will let me through. After watching for months I wasn't going to get a better price of a minivan for $214 for a week. On the Vegas Brazil thread which I have been watching noone has had any problems with using this code. Keeping my fingers crossed.

What thread is it that your following?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter