October 13th, 2023 - 13-Night South Pacific Cruise from Honolulu to Sydney

Our cruise isn’t and according to what I read on the FB group it’s because they don’t have the storage space for the decor. So I also doubt the Vancouver-Honolulu cruise would be a Halloween cruise. There are some B2Bs in the FB group so I’m sure they’ll let us know either way once they sail.

The FB group did decide to have a “Halloween trick or treat” day but it’s just a guest-organized event — the only decor will be what people put on their doors!

Our cruise isn’t and according to what I read on the FB group it’s because they don’t have the storage space for the decor. So I also doubt the Vancouver-Honolulu cruise would be a Halloween cruise. There are some B2Bs in the FB group so I’m sure they’ll let us know either way once they sail.

The FB group did decide to have a “Halloween trick or treat” day but it’s just a guest-organized event — the only decor will be what people put on their doors!
Could you please let me know what Facebook group it is? I do not see anything specific for this cruise - and we just booked yesterday. Thank you.

It is Disney Wonder 13 Night South Pacific Cruise October 13, 2023

Since you just booked yesterday, did you get a decent cabin?

There are two groups — a smaller one with maybe 90 members (I don’t know anything about that group beyond that it exists) and a much larger, more active one with over 600 members. I think you can still join the first one, but the latter one was hidden after PIF and you can only join by invite.

If you’re still interested in joining, feel free to PM so I can get your FB info and send an invite.

If anyone on this cruise sees this I would love to know what activities and special events are being offered. We are on the February cruise. Thank you!

I’m on the cruise right now. We were just in America Samoa yesterday after all of our sea days, and today is another sea day before we stop in Fiji tomorrow. We crossed the International Date Line so we skipped Friday!

I’m not someone who does a ton of activities so maybe someone else will chime in later, but the entertainment team has worked hard to make sure there are plenty of trivia games, crafts, and game shows created just for this cruise. Plus the usual entertainment in WDT you might expect from a longer cruise: some musicians, a couple of magicians, and of course the 3 big shows. There will also be a crew talent show later on. There’s a couple leading dance classes. And the usual bingo, karaoke, etc.

The special guest is a photographer from National Geographic that has been giving lectures on sea days.

Last night was the pirate party with the fireworks, which was at 7:30 in between dinner. I’ve only been on 2 prior cruises many years apart so I’m not experienced enough, but apparently that was a first. The only real oddity is it feels like everything has been shifted a little and are on the “wrong” nights.

Like the 2nd night was the Aloha menu with the Hawaiian singer in WDT, but it was formal night. Then the next night was The Golden Mickey’s and not formal night. Then tonight I saw Stitch and the Fab 5 in their pirate outfits, but last night was officially pirate night with the show and fireworks that the guests dressed up for. Last night the servers had a regular menu (a California menu? I’m not well-versed on all the usual menus but that seemed the overlying theme) and weren’t in pirate garb, either. So… it’s a little odd, but whatever. We’re still having a blast.

Also I purchased the highest tier of internet because I needed to stay connected for my job and the refurb has been great! I haven’t had a video meeting yet (that will happen next week), but regular web-based needs (email, general internet browsing, downloading files) have worked well without any issue.

What else… special merchandise that is Australian themed has been a couple t-shirts (one child, one adult), a spirit jersey, Loungefly backpack and ears, Tervis cup, Micky and Minnie plushies, Christmas ornament, and so far 2 pins — one for the Australian/NZ cruises, one for the equator.

Oh! That reminds me — there were also special themed activities the day we crossed the equator, like trivia, the photo scavenger hunt for the day, and a midday event about the things seafarers traditionally do when they first cross the equator. We didn’t attend because it conflicted with our Palo brunch reservation. There was a party countdown to the equator crossing that looked cute but it was around 10:45pm and we were too tired after dinner. So I can’t really speak to any of the equator crossing day activities but everyone seemed to be having fun!

I’m on the cruise right now. We were just in America Samoa yesterday after all of our sea days, and today is another sea day before we stop in Fiji tomorrow. We crossed the International Date Line so we skipped Friday!

I’m not someone who does a ton of activities so maybe someone else will chime in later, but the entertainment team has worked hard to make sure there are plenty of trivia games, crafts, and game shows created just for this cruise. Plus the usual entertainment in WDT you might expect from a longer cruise: some musicians, a couple of magicians, and of course the 3 big shows. There will also be a crew talent show later on. There’s a couple leading dance classes. And the usual bingo, karaoke, etc.

The special guest is a photographer from National Geographic that has been giving lectures on sea days.

Last night was the pirate party with the fireworks, which was at 7:30 in between dinner. I’ve only been on 2 prior cruises many years apart so I’m not experienced enough, but apparently that was a first. The only real oddity is it feels like everything has been shifted a little and are on the “wrong” nights.

Like the 2nd night was the Aloha menu with the Hawaiian singer in WDT, but it was formal night. Then the next night was The Golden Mickey’s and not formal night. Then tonight I saw Stitch and the Fab 5 in their pirate outfits, but last night was officially pirate night with the show and fireworks that the guests dressed up for. Last night the servers had a regular menu (a California menu? I’m not well-versed on all the usual menus but that seemed the overlying theme) and weren’t in pirate garb, either. So… it’s a little odd, but whatever. We’re still having a blast.

Also I purchased the highest tier of internet because I needed to stay connected for my job and the refurb has been great! I haven’t had a video meeting yet (that will happen next week), but regular web-based needs (email, general internet browsing, downloading files) have worked well without any issue.

What else… special merchandise that is Australian themed has been a couple t-shirts (one child, one adult), a spirit jersey, Loungefly backpack and ears, Tervis cup, Micky and Minnie plushies, Christmas ornament, and so far 2 pins — one for the Australian/NZ cruises, one for the equator.

Oh! That reminds me — there were also special themed activities the day we crossed the equator, like trivia, the photo scavenger hunt for the day, and a midday event about the things seafarers traditionally do when they first cross the equator. We didn’t attend because it conflicted with our Palo brunch reservation. There was a party countdown to the equator crossing that looked cute but it was around 10:45pm and we were too tired after dinner. So I can’t really speak to any of the equator crossing day activities but everyone seemed to be having fun!
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the update! I will be on the Sydney to Honolulu cruise and its good to hear what activities they will be having.

Any chance the characters have a special outfit for Australia? ❤️

Any chance the characters have a special outfit for Australia? ❤️
Not sure yet. I think people are hoping so, especially since Mickey and Minnie have cute new outfits on all the merch. I’m sure we’ll find out in a couple of days.

Another bonus we discovered last night after we did a night sky event with the DCL navigator (Texas from Ireland — he explained the history of navigation and how important the stars were). We were on deck 10 at the sports deck and they turned off the lights so we could see better. I really recommend it!

But as we were heading back around 11:30pm, we saw a dress rehearsal for the Marvel show they’ll be doing on the Australia cruises. They’re still working out some details as not all the blocking/effects seemed finalized, but it was still fun to see a deck party with only a handful of other guests standing around.

We did Suva today, and I strongly recommend going in with a gameplan since it’s the industrial side of the city. We were also here on a Sunday so many things were closed. We enjoyed our excursion to the Uprising Resort but we didn’t have any expectations beyond some place with a nice view and a place to sit for my parent who has mobility issues.

But I heard some feedback from others who were really disappointed in the excursion offerings and didn’t feel comfortable exploring on their own (a few people said it reminded them of Nassau). The tubing on the river and the waterfall hike seemed to be well-liked. However, if you don’t have plans and aren’t coming on a Sunday, there may be more to do. There’s a free shuttle that will take you from the port into town, which wasn’t advertised but would be the best way to explore if you don’t have an pre-booked excursion (Disney or not).

Not sure yet. I think people are hoping so, especially since Mickey and Minnie have cute new outfits on all the merch. I’m sure we’ll find out in a couple of days.

Another bonus we discovered last night after we did a night sky event with the DCL navigator (Texas from Ireland — he explained the history of navigation and how important the stars were). We were on deck 10 at the sports deck and they turned off the lights so we could see better. I really recommend it!

But as we were heading back around 11:30pm, we saw a dress rehearsal for the Marvel show they’ll be doing on the Australia cruises. They’re still working out some details as not all the blocking/effects seemed finalized, but it was still fun to see a deck party with only a handful of other guests standing around.

We did Suva today, and I strongly recommend going in with a gameplan since it’s the industrial side of the city. We were also here on a Sunday so many things were closed. We enjoyed our excursion to the Uprising Resort but we didn’t have any expectations beyond some place with a nice view and a place to sit for my parent who has mobility issues.

But I heard some feedback from others who were really disappointed in the excursion offerings and didn’t feel comfortable exploring on their own (a few people said it reminded them of Nassau). The tubing on the river and the waterfall hike seemed to be well-liked. However, if you don’t have plans and aren’t coming on a Sunday, there may be more to do. There’s a free shuttle that will take you from the port into town, which wasn’t advertised but would be the best way to explore if you don’t have an pre-booked excursion (Disney or not).
Thank you so much for all of your insight!!! It is very helpful!

Anybody on this thread have any other recommendations or 'warnings' regarding good/bad excursions at any of the islands? We are on the Sydney to Honolulu Trans-Pacific. We've booked some things, but are wondering if anyone has feedback on those options that they may have tried, or if anyone suggests going out "on our own" given the high cost of the Disney sponsored excursions. Thanks in advance for any opinions or info you can share. <3

Anybody on this thread have any other recommendations or 'warnings' regarding good/bad excursions at any of the islands? We are on the Sydney to Honolulu Trans-Pacific. We've booked some things, but are wondering if anyone has feedback on those options that they may have tried, or if anyone suggests going out "on our own" given the high cost of the Disney sponsored excursions. Thanks in advance for any opinions or info you can share. <3

The snorkeling in these ports was some of the best I've done. If you enjoy coral and fish spotting I'd say it's a must do.

If you enjoy going out on your own, and are ok with just grabbing a taxi/tour guide after you get off the boat and negotiating a day rate, I saw plenty of that type of option in both Suva and Pago Pago. Noumea is different because the ship parked in a secure area and we had to be bussed out to a cruise terminal down town. I did see the train you can book right there for a tour and it seemed easy enough to book. On a note, if you booked this train through DCL and went into town first to look around, you had to take the short bus ride back to the ship, check in for your port adventure, and then take the short bus ride back to downtown to get on the train. There was no just skipping the DCL check in.

For me, I felt like planning excursions on your own very challenging for all these stops. You can certainly just get our and walk around and shop at all three ports, but planning scheduled activities was difficult. There is not a ton of information/services/guides/companies for short day trips that fit into the ships schedule at each port that you can pre-book.
Wifi on the islands was patchy and not everywhere for those without cell plans that worked in these locations, and for Fiji and New Caledonia you do have to content with a different currency and only some use of credit cards. These are not ports I'd want to chance missing the boat, not so easy to catch a ship once it's at sea for 5 days!

All three destinations were amazing and worth the time at sea to get to. Enjoy your cruise!

We did a private tour in American Samoa that it seemed like at least 25% of the ship went through. I enjoyed it, BUT it was very reasonably priced. I might have had a different opinion if DCL priced. They don’t have a very developed tourism industry so the majority of the guides weren’t regular guides. Ours was incredibly nice and upbeat and funny and trying very hard, but she didn’t have a ton of information and wasn’t very polished (we thought attitude was way more important than information but others grumbled which I understand too). The national park junior ranger badge was neat as the only national park in the southern hemisphere.

Fiji- we did the village with kava ceremony and then boat up the river and hike to the waterfall. The people could not have been more welcoming but it wasn’t well organized- not a ton of information that the hike was a little rough for mobility folks and you have to get out at one stretch to walk a short way while the boat goes up this little rapid but none of us knew exactly what was going on when we were dumped on the beach). Swimming in the waterfall was amazing. The town itself wasn’t great, our guide pointed out all the prisons which felt like a lot.

New Caldera was the most developed, but you’re in a cargo port so you have to take a bus out. We did a bird sanctuary which was interesting but again the theme is a little unorganized as we spent a ton of time (like 30% of the whole visit) waiting to see one particular bird and then rushed very quickly through other displays.

For us the ship time was the focus and we used the excursions to just get a short break. From conversations we had with others I’d say these aren’t really ports do DIY (as someone who almost never does organized excursions, I’m glad we did on this cruise). My advice is to be ready to go with the flow and stay flexible.

This was Disney’s inaugural cruise to the South Pacific. The Wonder, therefore, got assigned the lousy ports where shipping containers are offloaded and stacked at not only Pago Pago, Suva, and Noumea but also at Sydney. There’s a pecking order for cruise lines, and those that have been cruising in the area for some time apparently get priority for the nicer ports. At Suva, someone did say that the nicer port is located on the other side of the Island but is too shallow for the Wonder. I remember seeing a lot of mud being stirred up as we approached the port there.
We, however, did love the stop at Pago Pago except the humidity was unbelievable. The Samoan’s were very nice and so happy to see us. Apparently, the Wonder is the biggest cruise ship to ever dock there. I do recommend visiting the National Park Office there. It's located about 1/2 mile from the port and is not only interesting, but it has AC.
Suva on the other hand is noted to be the “Capitol of the Third World” and it sure seemed like it. We didn’t enjoy our time there at all. We both felt very uncomfortable while walking around there on our own. We even thought we were about to be mugged a couple of times. As mentioned previously, we disembarked there on a Sunday and almost everything was closed. I was told by a friend in the know that the nicer areas in Fiji are on the smaller surrounding islands.
Noumea is a modern city popular with Australians for vacations. We did the wine and cheese tasting excursion, which was just okay. It was a somewhat disappointing experience for the DCL price. It involved a very-short bus ride to a tiny wine shop/bar where we were given three small samples of wine and cheese with a couple of crackers/bread slices. The wines were all imported from France, which one would expect since New Caledonia is a French Territory. We were then taken to a WWII memorial located atop an overlook. It includes a couple of large artillery pieces that were used to protect the harbor. Then rather than being let out near the port to be able to investigate the nearby shopping area, the bus returned to the ship. Also mentioned previously you could take a free bus back to the area and I did that to try to do a little shopping. But I felt very rushed because of having to be back on the Wonder by the required time.
Sydney by far was our favorite place to be but, like Honolulu and Waikiki Beach, it is so crowded. We spent five days there and tried to see as much as possible. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza which is located very close to the Town Hall Complex and a couple of blocks from the QVB and the Tram. The Tram is wonderful and traverses the center of the city going from near the domestic airport all the way to Circular Quay where the nice port and main tourist area is located along with the Opera House and Sydney bridge. After finding our bearings we visited the QVB more than once (it's a beautiful 4-story mall), Darling Harbour, and Circular Quay a number of times. We also spent a lot of time in the huge Royal Botanical Gardens and at The Rocks. The outdoor art/food market at the Rocks on the weekend is especially great. On one day we also took a Harbour Cruise to the Taronga Zoo, which I highly recommend (make sure you bring a sun hat and water).
On our way home we stayed on Oahu at Disney’s Aulani Resort for five nights. While there we visited some gorgeous beaches but, unfortunately, the edge of some of them along the highway is filled with homeless -- living in either tents or homemade shacks. We were surprised to see that. We were also overwhelmed by the crowding and traffic on the island. There is no rush hour that we could discern -- it was unbelievable whenever we drove anywhere, including to the North Shore.
We arrived home exhausted and sick due to not being able to sleep on a plane and crossing the numerous time zones -- including the International Date Line twice. Having night flights was bad because we were up all day before arriving at our next destination in the morning and then being up all of that day.
All in all, we're seasoned travelers. We've been to 29 countries so far, and this trip was an interesting experience. But one I would not want to repeat. And if I ever go back to Hawaii, I'd go to either Kaui or back to the Big Island (we've been there twice in the past 2009 & 2011) where things are not so hectic. Aulani is a beautiful resort but unless you enjoy just using the water facilities all day, it's terribly crowded like the rest of the Island and the food prices at the resort are outrageous. We ate elsewhere, usually at Eggs & Things and Monkeypod which are located right across the street.

Last edited:
This was Disney’s inaugural cruise to the South Pacific. The Wonder, therefore, got assigned the lousy ports where shipping containers are offloaded and stacked at not only Pago Pago, Suva, and Noumea but also at Sydney. There’s a pecking order for cruise lines, and those that have been cruising in the area for some time apparently get priority for the nicer ports. At Suva, someone did say that the nicer port is located on the other side of the Island but is too shallow for the Wonder. I remember seeing a lot of mud being stirred up as we approached the port there.
We, however, did love the stop at Pago Pago except the humidity was unbelievable. The Samoan’s were very nice and so happy to see us. Apparently, the Wonder is the biggest cruise ship to ever dock there. I do recommend visiting the National Park Office there. It's located about 1/2 mile from the port and is not only interesting, but it has AC.
Suva on the other hand is noted to be the “Capitol of the Third World” and it sure seemed like it. We didn’t enjoy our time there at all. We both felt very uncomfortable while walking around there on our own. We even thought we were about to be mugged a couple of times. As mentioned previously, we disembarked there on a Sunday and almost everything was closed. I was told by a friend in the know that the nicer areas in Fiji are on the smaller surrounding islands.
Noumea is a modern city popular with Australians for vacations. We did the wine and cheese tasting excursion, which was just okay. It was a somewhat disappointing experience for the DCL price. It involved a very-short bus ride to a tiny wine shop/bar where we were given three small samples of wine and cheese with a couple of crackers/bread slices. The wines were all imported from France, which one would expect since New Caledonia is a French Territory. We were then taken to a WWII memorial located atop an overlook. It includes a couple of large artillery pieces that were used to protect the harbor. Then rather than being let out near the port to be able to investigate the nearby shopping area, the bus returned to the ship. Also mentioned previously you could take a free bus back to the area and I did that to try to do a little shopping. But I felt very rushed because of having to be back on the Wonder by the required time.
Sydney by far was our favorite place to be, but like Honolulu and Waikiki Beach it is so crowded. We spent five days there and tried to see as much as possible. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza which is located very close to the Town Hall Complex and a couple of blocks from the QVB and the Tram. The Tram is wonderful and traverses the center of the city going from near the domestic airport all the way to Circular Quay where the nice port and main tourist area is located along with the Opera House and Sydney bridge. After finding our bearings we visited the QVB more than once (it's a beautiful 4-story mall), Darling Harbour, and Circular Quay a number of times. We also spent a lot of time in the huge Royal Botanical Gardens and at The Rocks. The outdoor art/food market at the Rocks on the weekend is especially great. On one day we also took a Harbour Cruise to the Taronga Zoo, which I highly recommend (make sure you bring a sun hat and water).
On our way home we stayed on Oahu at Disney’s Aulani Resort for five nights. While there we visited some gorgeous beaches but, unfortunately, the edge of some of them along the highway is filled with homeless -- living in either tents or homemade shacks. We were surprised to see that. We were also overwhelmed by the crowding and traffic on the island. There is no rush hour that we could discern. It was unbelievable whenever we drove anywhere, including to the North Shore.
We arrived home exhausted and sick due to not being able to sleep on a plane and crossing the numerous time zones -- including the International Date Line twice. Having night flights was bad because we were up all day before arriving at our next destination in the morning and being up all of that day.
All in all, we're seasoned travelers. We've been to 29 countries so far, and this trip was an interesting experience. But one I would not want to repeat. And if I ever go back to Hawaii, I'd go to either Kaui or back to the Big Island (we've been there twice in the past) where things are not so hectic. Aulani is a beautiful resort but unless you enjoy just using the water facilities all day, it's terribly crowded like the rest of the Island and the food prices there are outrageous. We ate elsewhere, usually at Eggs & Things and Monkeypod which are located right across the street.
Is the National Park walkable from the port? Looking at the map it appears to be but I was not sure. We love going to different parks and our kids do the Junior Ranger programs so that is a must for us. Thank you!

I would recommend going to the National Park Visitor Center first. They can give you advice of how to best get there and what you could see with your family with the time you have. When the Wonder docks, you would want to walk to your right to the Center. It's a way but there's only one street so you can't get lost. The Center is in a tan building across the street on the left-hand side of the road as you walk towards it.

Is the National Park walkable from the port? Looking at the map it appears to be but I was not sure. We love going to different parks and our kids do the Junior Ranger programs so that is a must for us. Thank you!
The National Park is not walking distance from the port, only the National Park visitors center is. The Visitors center is located in town, not in the actual national park. You can get your National Park stamp there however.

The National Park is not walking distance from the port, only the National Park visitors center is. The Visitors center is located in town, not in the actual national park. You can get your National Park stamp there however.
Ah!!! Good to know! Thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter