OC Register lists Genie Plus and Lightning Lane rides

Sad thing is I received the email for WDW genie+ free day for D23 Gold members, but we canceled and moved out trip to Cali. I wonder if they'll do that for DL also, when the time comes.

I'm team "jack up ticket prices to make lines reasonable" OR "increase genie+ prices substantially so that's it's pretty much a guarantee to access." The best part about max pass was that you could pretty much make your day whatever you wanted it to be. I have 3 little boys. Ride RSR 3 times? Sure. Go to HMH a couple times every day? yes, because it's a FP return time that's quick. This seems like smoke and mirrors - on paper it sounds like fastpass-esque but in practice you're still really limited if you can only use it on one ride a day, and your choices for things like RSR are a 75 minute wait or paying $90 a ride for a family. I would rather pay an extra $100+ per ticket, per day, for the old maxpass with no limit to which rides you're on, and none of this Idaho state fair paying per ride business.
I am 1000% with you on all points.

Is there any indication of the DAS process moving to the pre-visit arrival call before Genie+ launches at Disneyland? Was hopeful for this for our early November trip.

Looks like not until Nov 1 WDW, so two weeks after the launch of Genie. Somewhere I thought Disney said that DL would follow in a few weeks, so I think we are unlikely to have the new DAS system in early nov.

Im so confused with this whole thing...so do we purchase Genie + for $20 per day and then pay per ride the amount of the ride each ride? I just dont get why we would need to pay $20 a day if they are per ride

Im so confused with this whole thing...so do we purchase Genie + for $20 per day and then pay per ride the amount of the ride each ride? I just dont get why we would need to pay $20 a day if they are per ride
It basically is like the Previous Max Pass system. You would pay the $20 for the day per person, it will include you to be able to get return times for what they are now calling Lightening lanes (old term fast pass line). There will be a few rides that are not included in this and you have to pay a fee to ride those attractions. Now I am pretty sure that you could just pay to book those few rides on their own with out buying the Genie + at all.

There are only 3 rides at Disneyland Resort that will require an individual purchase to enter the Lightening Lane, Web Slingers, Radiator Springs Racers and Rise of the Resistance. These are called the Individual Lightening Lane Selection attractions (ILL$). You can purchase a maximum of 2 ILL$ per day. All other rides with a Lightening Lane (ie the rest of the rides that used to have FastPass) are included in the $20 Genie+ fee. You can purchase either option, all options or none, it’s up to you and your budget. If you just wanted to ride RSR for instance, you can just purchase that without purchasing Genie+ or anything else. Or you can join standby of course. At this stage, Disneyland is still offering virtual queues for Rise and Web Slingers which is included with your park ticket.

There are only 3 rides at Disneyland Resort that will require an individual purchase to enter the Lightening Lane, Web Slingers, Radiator Springs Racers and Rise of the Resistance. These are called the Individual Lightening Lane Selection attractions (ILL$). You can purchase a maximum of 2 ILL$ per day. All other rides with a Lightening Lane (ie the rest of the rides that used to have FastPass) are included in the $20 Genie+ fee. You can purchase either option, all options or none, it’s up to you and your budget. If you just wanted to ride RSR for instance, you can just purchase that without purchasing Genie+ or anything else. Or you can join standby of course. At this stage, Disneyland is still offering virtual queues for Rise and Web Slingers which is included with your park ticket.
so Incredicoaster and GOTG wont require additional charge ? Will they need Genie +?

so Incredicoaster and GOTG wont require additional charge ? Will they need Genie +?
I believe nothing will “need” Genie+. Everything that does have a standby line right now should continue to. GOTG and Incredicoaster could benefit from Genie+ in the fact that you’ll almost be back to a MaxPass system. There won’t be additional charges for those attractions past the single day cost upgrade to get Genie+ if you want to try that route.

If those are the ONLY two you really care about, it’s probably not worth the cost, you can’t just bounce back and forth between them all day using the Genie+ system, you’ll be forced to do standby lines after doing Genie once on each.

I liken it to paying more for overnight shipping if you need it there tomorrow (it will cost you more) versus paying less for it to get there in a week. No one expects to walk into Fed Ex and pay the normal stamp rate for their letter but for Fed Ex to get it there overnight for that price. The entire economy is built on pay more for a higher level of service (in this case, shorter LL lines at the parks) or pay less for a lower level of service (in this case, longer standby lines in the parks). I don't see how this strategy being implemented at Disney is shocking to folks, as this is basically the way everything works? People may not like it, but it is just business in my mind.
Exactly. I think of it like paying for the Fantasmic dinner package. You didn't have to pay to see Fantasmic. You absolutely could have sat down with your bread bowl and waited an hour on a blanket and held a spot. OR you could have paid $70 to have dinner at River Belle and had premium reserved seats. No one was complaining about this add on. I guess I'm just not seeing the difference. I'm happy to pay for Genie+ since it will just make my vacation that much better.

so Incredicoaster and GOTG wont require additional charge ? Will they need Genie +
As I said you can simply join the standby line if you like. There is no additional charge to do that. At this stage, Rise doesnt have a standby line at Disneyland and they are testing one at Web Slingers periodically but for everything else, standby is the free option.

Exactly. I think of it like paying for the Fantasmic dinner package. You didn't have to pay to see Fantasmic. You absolutely could have sat down with your bread bowl and waited an hour on a blanket and held a spot. OR you could have paid $70 to have dinner at River Belle and had premium reserved seats. No one was complaining about this add on. I guess I'm just not seeing the difference. I'm happy to pay for Genie+ since it will just make my vacation that much better.
While I totally get what you’re saying, the difference is that’s usually a one time cost per trip, not an every day cost. And we’re now paying for something that used to be free and/or offered much more than it does now.

While there will be plenty who still find the value in it, I don’t think anybody likes paying more (or the same) for less benefit.

I liken it to paying more for overnight shipping if you need it there tomorrow (it will cost you more) versus paying less for it to get there in a week. No one expects to walk into Fed Ex and pay the normal stamp rate for their letter but for Fed Ex to get it there overnight for that price. The entire economy is built on pay more for a higher level of service (in this case, shorter LL lines at the parks) or pay less for a lower level of service (in this case, longer standby lines in the parks). I don't see how this strategy being implemented at Disney is shocking to folks, as this is basically the way everything works? People may not like it, but it is just business in my mind.

I think a more accurate analogy would be:
Ground shipping used to be $10. If you wanted overnight shipping to any destination, you could have Fedex print the label for you for $20, or you could write it out yourself for free and it would still get there. You can ship as many packages overnight as you like.

Ground shipping is now $20. Overnight shipping is now $40, but only to select destinations. To some destinations, overnight shipping is $50-70 depending on the day, weight, and the whims of Chapek. Doesn't matter if you're willing to do the work, free is no longer an option. You can only ship ONE package overnight each day, even if you're willing to be price gouged.

I think it's ok to be irritated.

Ground shipping used to be $10. If you wanted overnight shipping to any destination, you could have Fedex print the label for you for $20, or you could write it out yourself for free and it would still get there. You can ship as many packages overnight as you like.

Ground shipping is now $20. Overnight shipping is now $40, but only to select destinations. To some destinations, overnight shipping is $50-70 depending on the day, weight, and the whims of Chapek. Doesn't matter if you're willing to do the work, free is no longer an option. You can only ship ONE package overnight each day, even if you're willing to be price gouged.

Nailed it.

I hear you and I am irritated too. I try to view it as “business” for Disney. They make their move, and then I can vote with my wallet if it doesn’t work for me. I will see how it rolls out and decide. I hope they make some DLR-specific tweaks instead of rolling out the WDW system in California but I am not optimistic. But spending the type of money we spend to fly there, stay at the GCH and go to the parks is not worth it for the level of crowds and stand by waits that we just experienced on Columbus Day weekend.

I hear you and I am irritated too. I try to view it as “business” for Disney. They make their move, and then I can vote with my wallet if it doesn’t work for me. I will see how it rolls out and decide. I hope they make some DLR-specific tweaks instead of rolling out the WDW system in California but I am not optimistic. But spending the type of money we spend to fly there, stay at the GCH and go to the parks is not worth it for the level of crowds and stand by waits that we just experienced on Columbus Day weekend.

yeah. You know I think I figured out why I'm so irritated, because I totally respect a business's right to be a business. I'm also willing to pay - even somewhat exorbitantly - for perks if they add considerable value to my experience. At its heart, what I'm so frustrated by is that Disney at least used to pretend they cared about the guest experience and I think they're just done pretending now.

So for us, we are WDW, AP holders, Florida Residents... This whole Genie + and Lighting lane thing is a mystery to us.... We will be visiting in March, we are bring our DD and grandson with us...

DH and our Grandson (7 years old) do not ride roller coasters...
DD and I enjoy riding them...

Since Disneyland is a smaller venue, I like the fact that with Genie + you get photopass... At least I think that's correct? -

So I am trying to understand before I buy the tickets, and such what to buy... and since it hasn't rolled out at Disneyland yet, It's hard to be able to study up...

3 adults and 1 kiddo - Four day ticket - trying to figure out whether to get Park Hoppers or not? and what to add on?
Cost of Genie + Yes? No? Maybe?

The only ride that we might be willing to pay for is Rise of the resistance...I guess that would be LL ride - At 7 dollars would be okay = 28 bucks to ride... at 15 bucks = that's 60 dollars... for 1 ride that is only a couple of minutes long is crazy... costly... Does Rise have a stand by line?

We are use to crazy wait times..... heck we waited at Food and Wine to get a drink in France for almost 40 minutes... 2 weekends ago... Grand Marnier Orange Slush... Yes please... yep worth the wait... ::yes::

Since Disneyland is a smaller venue, I like the fact that with Genie + you get photopass... At least I think that's correct? -

The only ride that we might be willing to pay for is Rise of the resistance...I guess that would be LL ride - At 7 dollars would be okay = 28 bucks to ride... at 15 bucks = that's 60 dollars... for 1 ride that is only a couple of minutes long is crazy... costly... Does Rise have a stand by line?

PhotoPass is included with Genie+. In my experience, the photographers are fantastic. The last time I went in early 2020, there were some wonderful photographers at night in CarsLand.

There is the individual lightening lane, which you can purchase whether or not you have Genie+. That is what Rise of the Resistance will be. Rise of the Resistance does not yet have a standby line at Disneyland, but you can try for a spot in the virtual system. You can try to join a Boarding Group for free. They are released in the morning and in the afternoon. It's changed since I was there so I let someone with more recent experience give you the details.

Also, Rise of the Resistance is not a typical dark ride that's over in under five minutes. It is (by ride standards), a lengthy experience.

PhotoPass is included with Genie+. In my experience, the photographers are fantastic. The last time I went in early 2020, there were some wonderful photographers at night in CarsLand.

There is the individual lightening lane, which you can purchase whether or not you have Genie+. That is what Rise of the Resistance will be. Rise of the Resistance does not yet have a standby line at Disneyland, but you can try for a spot in the virtual system. You can try to join a Boarding Group for free. They are released in the morning and in the afternoon. It's changed since I was there so I let someone with more recent experience give you the details.

Also, Rise of the Resistance is not a typical dark ride that's over in under five minutes. It is (by ride standards), a lengthy experience.
I will bet that DLR will stop the free VQ for ROTR when they roll out the ILL$ for it. They will likely make it standby (which will be LONG, judging by WDW lines for the same ride) and ILL$ only. Pay or wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter