Obsessed with moving to Orlando

lynx said:
Hi all :)

Not just because I love Disney, but I just love Orlando. The palm trees, the excitement, etc.

Is this a stupid reason for wanting to move to a new town? I live in Pittsburgh and I'm so bored with life here, (besides the Steelers lol) and I want to move somewhere, and I figure why not go somewhere I love?

Whenever I mention it to my family, they roll their eyes.

I don't want to move there forever,,,but maybe I just need to get it out of my system?

I even got a job at the Disney Store to try to get Disney out of my system, but I was only hired for holiday help and had to quit because they were only giving me 3-5 hours a week. That mall's closing soon too.

Any thoughts? I feel like even if I do make the decision, I will be embarrased to tell my family, they think it would be ridiculous.

Thanks all, love ya!

My boyfriend and I are moving to Florida as soon as I graduate college in 1 1/2 years. We go to Disney four times a year and never get sick of it, but we love Florida for everything you just described. The atmosphere is so much friendlier than it is here in Boston, and the pace of life is much slower. Our families don't think we're serious either. Truth is, I'm counting down the days!

AJKMOM said:
I used to think it would be great to live in Florida, however, I have mellowed at age 53. Before you move, you need to think about things like: the 4 hurricanes that hit one summer and how some places are still not fixed from those. You can still see tarps on the roofs.

The summers are oppressive, especially for us Northerners not used to heat close to 100 degrees and high humidity. You also need to remember that the Disney Magic is designed for the paying customer, not the employees. For them, it's just another job, and a low paying one at that. For the most part, you could be outside all day, even in the summer, and forced to be nice to rude visitors that you might want to strangle :rotfl2: .

I'm not saying you shouldn't go, just think before you do it about all the factors, not just the fun ones.

I have lived in Florida for the past four years and there are many things about this state that rock! That said, there are quite a few concerns when considering a move here. For the OP, who is only 23, I say GO for it. At that age you are much more carefree than someone with children, etc.

The concerns that should be considered in my opinon are:

Weather/Hurricanes and the skyrocketing insurance policies and home repairs that come with them.

Housing starts: high costs for housing and a slowing housing market (which might be good for those of you who will be joining us! :goodvibes i.e. you may get some deals)

Schools: Not all districts are good here in Florida..so be careful where you move to.

Crime: Orlando has had an unprecedented spike in murders as the distance between the have and have nots increases (poverty vs. wealth)
http://www.wesh.com/iteam/9573306/detail.html

Finally, my dream job would be working as a concierge planner or disney travel agent. I can understand the desire to work at WDW but the above poster has a good point about the magic being for those who visit the parks. My husband keeps telling me that I would never be happy planning someone elses vacation (hes WRONG) when what I really want is to be there myself.

I hope you all get to live your dreams, whatever they are. :cool1:

DGF (24) and I (26) have been scheming/dreaming our move for the past year. I say do it...especially if you don't have a whole heck of a lot holding you back home. We plan on renting for a year and just going from there. The only thing I am concerned about are the schools. DGF is a teacher and is looking for a descent public school. good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter