Number of People Walking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riviera is likely going to be quite high as far as point costs as they are claiming it will be something like a cross between GFV and BLT......and it's also not a moderate.

Claim is the operative word here. Proof will be in the pudding as to whether it’s a hot ticket at 7 months or not.

Columbus Day weekend is a week later next year. I made the same mistake...

When i saw how late our usual pre Columbus Day & weekend trip would fall, backed it up to come in a week earlier. Really hoping it’s less busy and flights are cheaper!

I grabbed the last AKV concierge studio room that was showing available at the 11 month window a month ago. I had to try more than a dozen mornings in order to snag it. It always disappeared before I could pull the trigger.

Until it didn’t. Happy dance morning!

Since then, they’re all being walked out past availability at the 11 month window.

I admit it; I’m one of them. And. Unless I trip up somewhere, I’m walking it to the very end of Fall, Dec 22, in order to have concierge access (90 day out FPs) for the start of Star Wars.

I’ve been walking since the end of September (for dates starting end of August) and I’m going to walk until late Dec.

If not me, somebody else.

Although, I admit that I probably wouldn’t do this by phone; that’d be way to much effort. Online modification is no effort at all.
I have not tried the online modifications yet. So can you move your entire reservation forward modifying your check in day?

I have not tried the online modifications yet. So can you move your entire reservation forward modifying your check in day?
Yes. I booked Sept 26-Oct 1 on Oct 26...then on Oct 28 I went in and modified to Sept 28- Oct 4. Go into DVC member site and go to dashboard and resie and click modify.

So I'm familiar with walking a reservation but what I'm currently seeing for Boardwalk Standard reservations for Oct right now isn't making much sense. Perhaps this new system in place has some issues. In previous years - the window opened up at 8am online and you could not 'get or lock' a room prior. This morning prior to 8am - rooms were locked and unavailable to even try to get. Is Disney allowing the rooms to be taken prior to 8am? I suspect something is going on here and I just might call Member Services to ask . I usually don't try to secure an 11 month reservation that is difficult to get but decided to try - however I have never seen locking out of the system prior to 8am.

So I'm familiar with walking a reservation but what I'm currently seeing for Boardwalk Standard reservations for Oct right now isn't making much sense. Perhaps this new system in place has some issues. In previous years - the window opened up at 8am online and you could not 'get or lock' a room prior. This morning prior to 8am - rooms were locked and unavailable to even try to get. Is Disney allowing the rooms to be taken prior to 8am? I suspect something is going on here and I just might call Member Services to ask . I usually don't try to secure an 11 month reservation that is difficult to get but decided to try - however I have never seen locking out of the system prior to 8am.
It's likely folks adding the day last night. Your check in day has to be 11 months out but you can book a full week and then next day add an 8th night and so on. Also can modify to drop and add a night. So if there are 7 rooms, say, and all 7 booked 10/31 to 11/7 and then added 11/8 last night...it would be gone.

It's likely folks adding the day last night. Your check in day has to be 11 months out but you can book a full week and then next day add an 8th night and so on. Also can modify to drop and add a night. So if there are 7 rooms, say, and all 7 booked 10/31 to 11/7 and then added 11/8 last night...it would be gone.

That doesn't explain why the calendar is showing the availability. Unless the calendar doesn't show real time and has no updates from the previous night. So you can modify to drop and then add - after midnight prior to those members trying to get the 11 month reservation?

so when u want to drop a first night and add an end night you are just going to modify and picking new dates. so pretty much making a new reservation with the same points?

If the room was locked and not available to try to get wouldn't that simply mean that all rooms in that booking category are already booked for that day? Like AKV Cluib and Value there is no chance right now to even start a walk because the first date is already booked prior to the actual day so you wouldn't be able to get started on a walk.

so when u want to drop a first night and add an end night you are just going to modify and picking new dates. so pretty much making a new reservation with the same points?

Pretty much but it keeps the same reservation number and the dates that you currently have booked show as available when you are modifying even if there is no other availability.

Modifying resie...it could be more points if dropping a weeknight and adding a weekend or going into another season. Could also be less points if dropping a weekend and adding a weeknight.

If the room was locked and not available to try to get wouldn't that simply mean that all rooms in that booking category are already booked for that day? Like AKV Cluib and Value there is no chance right now to even start a walk because the first date is already booked prior to the actual day so you wouldn't be able to get started on a walk.

No, I know what they are saying, as I was seeing the same thing when I was booking. It would show available, and had to booking button, but when you clicked that, it instantly said the room is unavailable, revise search. Then the same would happen, it would show as available, but as you click book, it was unavailable.

No, I know what they are saying, as I was seeing the same thing when I was booking. It would show available, and had to booking button, but when you clicked that, it instantly said the room is unavailable, revise search. Then the same would happen, it would show as available, but as you click book, it was unavailable.

The only time I have seen that is if I try to book too early (trying to time it just right). If you try before 8 it will just say it isn't available but then still show as available but it is just that you are too early.

Also have been discussing the AKV Club and Value category rooms (not Savanna View or Standard View rooms, which also are easier to come by at 11 months)
Someday I'll have a shot at a club level again. LOL.

I've had really good luck with grabbing some club level rooms as people walking have dropped them, actually I was able to piece together a week in a 2-bedroom club level stay in early October. The only scary part was the few seconds when attempting to combine the studios and 1-bedrooms myself online, I was always worried something would go wrong and I'd lose them. Just a heads up, there is currently a week in a club level studio open right now for early October!!

Update- Well, that lasted all of 20 seconds...but there are still a few days available:)

Yes but these means priority is given to those modifying reservations vs those trying to make a reservation. This means your members are being treated differently. So in your AKV Club example - the 9th is showing available. To make an 11 month reservation I would need to wait till 8am to secure it online or through member services as a New reservation. However someone who had an existing reservation could modify their reservation at midnight to add an additional day potentially making the 9th unavailable. The real question is WILL Disney show you the room is unavailable prior to the opening of the 11 month window for new reservations? Or do they keep 2 in reserves?

I'm still trying to figure out how a room was showing available but when I select it - it said it was unavailable prior to the 8am opening.

Yes but these means priority is given to those modifying reservations vs those trying to make a reservation. This means your members are being treated differently. So in your AKV Club example - the 9th is showing available. To make an 11 month reservation I would need to wait till 8am to secure it online or through member services as a New reservation. However someone who had an existing reservation could modify their reservation at midnight to add an additional day potentially making the 9th unavailable. The real question is WILL Disney show you the room is unavailable prior to the opening of the 11 month window for new reservations? Or do they keep 2 in reserves?

I'm still trying to figure out how a room was showing available but when I select it - it said it was unavailable prior to the 8am opening.

Anyone with a reservation can modify and add later dates that connect to their existing reservation and those dates would be further out than someone without a reservation could get to....that's just how the system is set up and why walking works. Someone with an existing reservation wanting to add a later date wouldn't wait until midnight the night before to add it....it is going to be added days in advance. An existing reservation can not add a day outside of their 7 nights until 8am hits for that 8th day. In your last statement you say that something shows as available but then prior to 8am when you select it it says unavailable...that's just because you aren't inside the booking window yet.

I've had really good luck with grabbing some club level rooms as people walking have dropped them, actually I was able to piece together a week in a 2-bedroom club level stay in early October. The only scary part was the few seconds when attempting to combine the studios and 1-bedrooms myself online, I was always worried something would go wrong and I'd lose them. Just a heads up, there is currently a week in a club level studio open right now for early October!!

Update- Well, that lasted all of 20 seconds...but there are still a few days available:)
They go fast, don't they? :rotfl2:
It was kind of you to post.

Probably as someone mentioned...its was a few seconds too soon (before 8am) or they had delay in opening 8am window. Did you try again, few seconds later?

also...not necessarily midnight and actually I think DVC booking closes each night by a certain time...not sure when. But I can modify any time today to drop and add (if I had through Nov 8th booked).

Probably as someone mentioned...its was a few seconds too soon (before 8am) or they had delay in opening 8am window. Did you try again, few seconds later?

also...not necessarily midnight and actually I think DVC booking closes each night by a certain time...not sure when. But I can modify any time today to drop and add (if I had through Nov 8th booked).
I did keep trying and after a few tries the room was greyed out and gone. I gave up and then just booked it the next day when others dropped it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!