November W.I.S.H. - Thankful is as thankful does.

I got my booster today and DS got his flu shot. DS is doing great. I have a sore arm and starting to feel a little crummy but no fever yet. We got the IKEA delivery and DD is so excited about her bed. We got the night stands for my room put together. The one on my side was put all together before we realized the sides were on the wrong side. We had to take it all apart and put it back together. 3 more pieces to put together this week.

Ask for help is a good reminder for me. No one ever says no!
The weather looks nice for Thursday so we’ll definitely go outside for a walk after dinner. Looking at my loved ones around the table makes it easy to practice gratitude. Spending time together is a priority and I won’t have any trouble saying no to anything that interferes with that.

I forgot to pop back on last night and do the humor question, but I did talk to DS, and he had taken a nap and was feeling a little better - so I felt better too.

I like the Thanksgiving self-care reminder! - We don't generally go for a walk, but we all play games after dinner, and that gets everyone laughing. MIL (our host) is pretty good about accepting help - she does the turkey and stuffing, but everyone brings sides, apps, and desserts. And we definitely do the gratitude thing. - I bring some cute project for it every year.

This time of year can be a real challenge for me. 35 years ago today, my Mother passed away following a long illness. My Grandmother passed the following year of a broken heart having lost her daughter too young. Today is also my nephew’s birthday. He turned 7 the day his Grandma died. It was so hard on him because they were very close. DD’s birthday is Veterans Day, which is also my Father’s birthday. Before DD was born, November was really rough to get through. As the days grew darker, I fell into darkness. I always wore a smile on my face as if to say, “I’m okay,” when I really wasn’t. I began to use food to cope.

The miracle birth of my child saved my life. I was able to transform my sadness into happiness and gratitude. So now instead of an entire month of grief, I am able to contain it to one day. Today.

DD and DH will both be out of the house today, so I will have the time and space to feel my feelings without any interference. It’s been a long time since I could really cry. I’m grateful to have today.

Saw this on Facebook this week:
3569427E-31A7-4D8B-89CD-139AC254BEEB.jpeg

Last edited:

Catching up...

I really had to think about the humor questions:

Person... I don't regularly watch Saturday Night Live, but was when they did the Titanic Iceberg skit this past season, and was glued to it thinking 'that is bloody brilliant'. And I used to watch The Daily Show all the time when Jon Stewart was on it, I like his smart educated style of humor.
Book... I can't think of any here, I guess I don't read comedy?
Movie... I favor light romantic comedies... a particular one doesn't come to mind but Meg Ryan in the 90's are solid go-to's.

Animal... all my cats bring joy but my orange tabby Oliver was the one who could get me to laugh out loud, because he was such a dork.
Memory... when we were kids every Christmas we would get hung up on a word and it would get included in just about every conversation. The ones I remember are 'elbow', which came out of a version of Cinderella we'd seen on TV... but you had to say it in the
exaggerated way they did in the show. And another year it was 'andropoff', which was a variation of 'Andropov' but I have no idea how or where we would have heard of anything about Yuri Andropov.

Thanksgiving Self-care:
Outside... yes! I will get there early enough that we can get in a walk on the beach before we eat: gratitude... yes, I'll be thankful the entire drive down: help... just doing a few food things myself and will help with whatever else is needed: no... not a problem this year, since it is such a small gathering.

I've set this nice short week up beautifully by actually getting stuff done over the weekend - lots of stuff. The outdoor lights are up, and on, I even trimmed back the bushes along the walkway. I finally built the shelving unit for the office and got everything moved around so the tree could go up. Bought a couple poinsettias. The new drapes got steamed and look lovely. Finished my Secret Santa shopping, and almost finished my Thanksgiving grocery shopping but forgot blueberries, so will have to stop in one more time. Today I'll focus on the kitchen and bathroom, tomorrow it will be finishing the bedroom, then I'm ready for the holidays! It'll be so nice to come back from my Sister's into a clean and sparkly house.

Last edited:
Nearly every paraprofessional called out today. There was nobody to transport my student who is wheelchair bound, and I couldn’t leave my the rest of my class…so my custodian brought him. Our school secretary asked me to do something and ended up helping me instead by printing the homework packet for me. We only had one out of three administrators in today.

I threw out my back. The kids were terrible. Two of them have Covid (Thank God I got the booster). I have a district level meeting after school tomorrow.

Tuesday at 5:00pm cannot come fast enough.

Good morning! I don’t think we have a host this week, but thought I would start off the week.

I’m going to mindful of my portions and make sure I get out for a walk every day. And try not to stress over getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner.
Thanks for starting us off. Maybe someone who hasn’t tried hosting yet will give it a try this week.

Here’s an appetizer from one of my favorite blogs I’m going to make Thursday. I love snacking while watching the football games so have come up with a few recipes I rely on for get togethers.

Do you have a favorite dish you make or buy for get togethers or bring to someone’s house?

https://drizzlemeskinny.com/mini-spinach-artichoke-crescent-cups/

Those look yummy!

My "don't bother showing up without it" app is cheese balls. :rotfl: (The "recipe" came from my aunt Debbie - no measurements, just eyeballing cream cheese and freshly shredded cheese and rolling them in crushed nuts or bacon bits.)

Those look yummy!

My "don't bother showing up without it" app is cheese balls. :rotfl: (The "recipe" came from my aunt Debbie - no measurements, just eyeballing cream cheese and freshly shredded cheese and rolling them in crushed nuts or bacon bits.)
I love a good cheese ball! And we were on a homemade pimento cheese spread kick for a while. I’m experimenting with a cream cheese/shrimp ball. We had it in a restaurant and the waitress very nicely told me the ingredients.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!