November 2020 W.I.S.H. Thread - The Beginning of a New Adventure

Saturday - I have been woefully neglecting reading lately (except for reading to the kids, of course!) I was reading so much during the initial lockdown and summer, but since going back to school year schedules, I’ve had much less free time. I do have a re-read of the Harry Potter series going as bedtime reading, and I’m a couple of chapters into this one:
538523https://www.amazon.com/Harley-Merlin-19-Persie-Nowhere-ebook/dp/B0881GKQSR
on my phone (when I’m out walking the cats and finally get off the DIS, Instagram, and daily crossword - LOL).

Sunday - I love that quote. I’m certainly not opposed to the other kind of self care too! But I think a lot of people today are disconnected with what really makes them happy. Everything nowadays seems to move so fast (even for children) that there’s no quiet time to really figure it out. And consequently, many people’ lives don’t really fit them.

Yes, the occasional bowl of ice cream because it’s been a rough day is ok-it’s when we do these things too often instead of figuring out what’s stressing us out that it becomes a problem.
And for some reason the ad that pops up on this post is for wine :rotfl2:

An intentional life-I like the sound of that. Going to check if my library owns a copy.
They do not, but have her previous one about getting rid of her possessions-I might reserve that one and see if her new book is available elsewhere in the state system.
The previous book is also quite good, I think I'll be re-reading it before the end of the year to set myself up for next year.

I made my final trip to the grocery store this morning, I'm all set now with about three weeks worth of food in the house. I'll need to get a turkey breast next weekend, but that is really it... oh, and I'll have to pick up the pie Tuesday before Thanksgiving. At 11am today the Governor is making an announcement about further restrictions, so I'm thinking I'm just a step ahead of the curve.

I have my hair cut at 12noon, then it's back home to watch the football game... hopefully this week they will show up and play, last week was so painful I couldn't watch the entire thing. A good exciting game would be food for the soul for sure. Other than that self-care today is reading, journaling and getting out for a walk in the neighborhood.

I started following Lisa on IG after I kept seeing people repost her posts. Last week I signed up for her 'Cultivating You' online course, which is about cultivating your relationship with yourself... it's one of the things I've chosen to do during the coming week of self-quatnenteen along with reading 'Adventures in Opting Out'. My motivation this week it to start doing the things she's listed, not necessarily each one of them every day, but by the end of the week I will have done each one at least once.

So, no school tomorrow. No remote. No in-person. Nothing.

Cases in teachers have suddenly grown so high that there aren't enough staff to cover for them. This is not okay. I'm being soooo careful. I go to school and the gas station. That's it. Most of us are making all kinds of sacrifices to stay healthy, stay alive, and keep schools open. A few idiots going to parties are ruining everything and putting us all at risk.

:mad:

That’s frightening. I have found my anxiety level increases every time I watch the news.
My son in law’s school closed today-just told everyone they’re teaching remotely until 12/7. He’s a guidance counselor so it’s not as disruptive for him.

Last edited:
Saturday morning's weigh in was a shocker--down 1.5 pounds! Not what I expected, but I'll take it!!

@Summer2018 I'm glad you googled Multnomah Falls. It was pouring, and we missed the actual moment when he popped the question, but otherwise it was so wonderful! The waterfall is gorgeous and they were both so, so happy. It was lovely to be a part of it.

In other kid news, DS2 can come home for Thanksgiving and stay home! His only in person class finishes that week, so we'll fly him home and he'll continue with his virtual classes until next fall when hopefully they can go back! So excited to have him home.

I'm out of books to read at the house, and haven't requested more from the library because I already have a million on hold for months now and am not getting them for some reason. >:( So I started a puzzle. It's Disney villians and 1500 pieces. Yeah. That's a lot. Got the border done today and the corners stick off my round table!

Don't have menus planned for the week, but do have groceries! I've been munching on English cucumber. So yummy!

Saturday morning's weigh in was a shocker--down 1.5 pounds! Not what I expected, but I'll take it!!

@Summer2018 I'm glad you googled Multnomah Falls. It was pouring, and we missed the actual moment when he popped the question, but otherwise it was so wonderful! The waterfall is gorgeous and they were both so, so happy. It was lovely to be a part of it.

In other kid news, DS2 can come home for Thanksgiving and stay home! His only in person class finishes that week, so we'll fly him home and he'll continue with his virtual classes until next fall when hopefully they can go back! So excited to have him home.

I'm out of books to read at the house, and haven't requested more from the library because I already have a million on hold for months now and am not getting them for some reason. >:( So I started a puzzle. It's Disney villians and 1500 pieces. Yeah. That's a lot. Got the border done today and the corners stick off my round table!

Don't have menus planned for the week, but do have groceries! I've been munching on English cucumber. So yummy!
I'm so glad that all went well with the proposal. 💕

One of the inspirational things I read over the weekend was that "sometimes life feels hard because it is hard", and that we need to learn how to be with the hardness and not stress that we are doing something wrong because life isn't easy.

I could feel myself stressing while I watched the Governor's press conference yesterday, it finally felt real to me... even tho as mentioned I knew it was rampant in the neighborhood. We're back to most indoor things being shut down, dining, gyms, bowling alleys, or restricted to 25% capacity. It is financially devastating for so many businesses but I don't see what else we can do. I am grateful to have my little house to snuggle down into and ride it out. Again, my number one responsibility is to stay out of the healthcare system.

Last edited:
TOPIC TUESDAY

Having a hard time doesn't mean you're moving backwards, not trying hard enough, or not capable of living in joy. Sometimes, having a hard time means you are responding naturally to things that are hard. If you're having a harder time right now...

Who can you connect with?
How can you tend to yourself?
What can you remind yourself of?
What action can you take?
How can you find space to rest?
Where can you receive support?
How can you shift your expectations?
Where can you find some ease?"

--- Lisa Olivera

I frequently tell the twins that they can do hard things. We put that up on our reader board when schools closed in March! We also have tardy slips we give late students to give to their teacher so they know they've checked in with the office to have their attendance changed. We printed them with upbeat phrases and that one was the first one we put on them!

I tell people that my new motto is whatever, whenever. I have definitely shifted my expectations! Lately DH and I have been feeling that having the twins is super hard. We know we are the absolute best place for them to be, but we are looking forward to Thanksgiving when they will be away and we can find some space to rest.

Teaching is hard this year. But some days are harder than others. I try to focus on what I can control. Yesterday I was struggling with myself about getting a conference with a Spanish speaking mom. The child speaks English, so doesn’t receive any support from our ELD teacher. And last week I was in the mentality that I can do this on my own. But yesterday I reached out to the ELD teacher for help (she works with the older sibling and has communicated with the family). Being an experienced teacher, I’m usually one that teachers turn to for help. But I needed to remind myself that it’s okay for me to ask others for help too!

View attachment 538688

One of the inspirational things I read over the weekend was that "sometimes life feels hard because it is hard", and that we need to learn how to be with the hardness and not stress that we are doing something wrong because life isn't easy.

I could feel myself stressing while I watched the Governor's press conference yesterday, it finally felt real to me... even tho as mentioned I knew it was rampant in the neighborhood. We're back to most indoor things being shut down, dining, gyms, bowling alleys, or restricted to 25% capacity. It is financially devastating for so many businesses but I don't see what else we can do. I am grateful to have my little house to snuggle down into and ride it out. Again, my number one responsibility is to stay out of the healthcare system.
Your quote rings true for me and is quite helpful. Out of 3 administrators, we have one, and same with secretaries because of quarantining. I have so many assessments to do and only one day with one cohort. Testing is impossible while teaching virtual learners, so it has to be done during the small window I have in the afternoon. I am canceling PE just to get extra time with my in-school kids.

This gets harder and harder.

TOPIC TUESDAY

Having a hard time doesn't mean you're moving backwards, not trying hard enough, or not capable of living in joy. Sometimes, having a hard time means you are responding naturally to things that are hard. If you're having a harder time right now...

Who can you connect with?
How can you tend to yourself?
What can you remind yourself of?
What action can you take?
How can you find space to rest?
Where can you receive support?
How can you shift your expectations?
Where can you find some ease?"

--- Lisa Olivera

View attachment 538779
Not sure. I will get back to you.

We know we are the absolute best place for them to be, but we are looking forward to Thanksgiving when they will be away and we can find some space to rest.
Everyone needs a break ;)

So I started a puzzle. It's Disney villians and 1500 pieces.
I love puzzles (especially when they are Disney puzzles)! Great idea while you are waiting for your books to become available.
And glad the proposal went well. Congratulations 😊

Who can you connect with? - far away family, via phone and e-mail, DH, who I've been spending more quality time with, DIS friends here in my favorite community, one in-person friend I actually see (because I homeschool her kids while she works)
How can you tend to yourself? - I'm usually the first one up, so I take some quiet time every morning to sit with my coffee and do whatever I feel like
What can you remind yourself of? - that there are a million things to do in the world, and so many of them are still possible at home right now!
What action can you take? - share ideas and get others involved, make things for people
How can you find space to rest? - it's a big house - I forget sometimes how many places to hide there actually are :laughing:
Where can you receive support? - here, of course!
How can you shift your expectations? - I've gotten much better about rolling with the punches by homeschooling two kindergarteners. I've realized that some days we take off like like rockets and get so much accomplished, and some days we survive to try another day, but it all evens out in the end.
Where can you find some ease? - Hallmark Christmas movies? Also, I've found that there are a ton of free school resources on the internet! I still make some personalized stuff of my own, but I don't have to when I'm busy, and that makes a huge difference in my stress level.

Last edited:
Who do you connect with? Family and friends. Zoom has been a life saver. Just got off the phone with my sister in law. It was good to laugh for a half hour!
How can you tend to yourself? I think I am pretty good at this :) I am at the place in my life where I can do this. I’m retired and pretty much do as I please.
What can you remind yourself of? All the things that aren’t canceled-good books, talks with friends and family, walks on the trail or on the beach, spending time with my husband.
What action can you take? Make sure I get outside every day-getting exercise every day is good for my mental and physical health.
How can you find space to rest? I love sitting in front of the fireplace reading, watching a good movie or checking on the Dis!
Where can you receive support? Yes, here! I get so many good ideas here-blogs, books, recipes!
How can you shift your expectations? Especially with the holidays coming, I have to remind myself just because it’s different, it’s still good. All the other things don’t matter if we’re all healthy.
Where can you find some ease? Reading, always. It’s one of my greatest pleasures. And talking about books with my friends. Spending time with my grandson-he is my greatest joy! He called me last night all excited because he got the Final Jeopardy question!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter