Notarized form from Ex

you need to check with your particular state if you are getting a passport. I have checked with a website that our state has and it states that either the legal documentation stating custody or a signed release from the non-custodial parent is required. It's always best to call your County Courthouse and check with them to see what you really need before totally sweating about this.

Passports are issued by the United States Department of State. Neither the state nor the county has anything to do with it, nor any kind of a say. The definintive source for all Passport related questions is http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html. There are new and special requirements promulgated since 7/1/2001 that you must meet to obtain a passport for a minor under age of 14 here http://travel.state.gov/specialreq.html. Please read them carefully. I recommend printing these pages and taking them with you to your local passport issuing office (here it's my post office) so that if you have any trouble, you can point to the regulations.

With respect to a divorce, it is issued by your state courts (possibly at the county courthouse, but state law applies). Whether or not you have authority to take your child out of the country or anywhere else with or without the "permission" of a non-custodial parent is regulated by the terms of your divorce decree.

Samsma, I feel for you! Unfortunately, I am in the same situation so it feels good to know that I'm not alone! My husband and I are going on our first Disney cruise next month-alone. I know that we could easily obtain his ex's permission for his two girls to come with us if we booked another trip for the whole family but my ex would be another story. We have been divorced for eight years (my son is 8) but he has spent almost all that time either in litigation with me or with his second wife over custody issues. He has a little bit of a control problem! Anyway, I have joint legal and physical custody and I was avoiding taking the kids on a big trip like this because I didn't want him to ruin it for us. I'm glad to see that there are ways around it!! Thanks for all the advice, everyone!:D :D :D

Princess Deb,

Maybe all these unreasonable Ex's could benefit from a trip to Disney World, or a meeting with the Mouse! I know I'm a much nicer person for it!:p I just don't know why any parent would interfere with the making of special memories for their children, no matter how they feel about the other parent/stepparent. I once asked my Ex "does he want our son to be happy, or live a miserable life". Sometimes I wonder.

I know it's blasphemy to say it but I think pixie dust wouldn't even work on these people :)! I was really glad to see all the info because of your posting - now maybe I can dream of seeing my children on a trip like this. I know my 13-yr old stepdaughter is ready to go!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

mcnuss...I was trying to find this post this morning to post that same link. I correct myself - I thougth it was a state sight that dh had given me, that is why I posted that I was incorrect.

That site that mcnuss posted is the information that I got. I agree that you should read this carefully - there are a lot of "OR"s listed that should help with what you need to obtain a passport if you think your ex will be giving you problems. Printing that out as was stated is an excellent idea. But still, planning ahead is always a good idea so that if you run into problems, you have time to try to get them resolved. And you still can check with your county courthouse (or county government office) for any assistance, they should be able to guide you also.

Thanks for the correction mcnuss - much appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter