Not Letting Anxiety Ruin Trip

DannyDisneyFreak

Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
I suffer from anxiety and manage well with medication, and many times deep breathing and mindfulness skills help. Still nothing is perfect and I have had challenges in the past when on vacation being overwhelmed and letting anxiety take me out of my days at WDW and feel like I’m not even there. I’ve felt times where a week goes by and feel so disappointed that I’ve hardly enjoyed my trip. In a couple weeks I’ll be in WDW for my 40th birthday trip. I’ve been looking forward to this for so long, I’ve always wanted to spend my birthday in WDW but I’m so worried my anxiety will ruin the trip for me. I could use any suggestions or encouragement to help me make sure I don’t let anxiety get the best of me.

I don’t consider myself to have these issues in my everyday life, and I notice it often at Disney. Lines, micromanaged schedule, rain, ride is down, so many people everywhere. I can brush it off and enjoy the good parts, but there’s no denying WDW is an anxiety-inducing environment. And yea. It’s overwhelming, it’s kind of the point?

Life is too short to fight with yourself in a very expensive vacation. WDW isn’t for everyone and that’s OK.

I suffer from anxiety and manage well with medication, and many times deep breathing and mindfulness skills help. Still nothing is perfect and I have had challenges in the past when on vacation being overwhelmed and letting anxiety take me out of my days at WDW and feel like I’m not even there. I’ve felt times where a week goes by and feel so disappointed that I’ve hardly enjoyed my trip. In a couple weeks I’ll be in WDW for my 40th birthday trip. I’ve been looking forward to this for so long, I’ve always wanted to spend my birthday in WDW but I’m so worried my anxiety will ruin the trip for me. I could use any suggestions or encouragement to help me make sure I don’t let anxiety get the best of me.

Do you see a therapist? Maybe they can help you figure out what part of the trip triggers your anxiety and then help you find some techniques to manage it?

also maybe think about why you want to spend your birthday at the parks. What are some activities during the trip that bring you joy that you can try to focus on? Would trying to be mindful about taking breaks to enjoy the atmosphere and maybe a fun only-at-Disney snack help? If it’s the over-scheduling that gets to you, maybe consider doing less - like picking your top 3 things to do each day, which would theoretically give you lots of time to do them, and then anything else is a bonus? Also are there things you can consider paying for that would help your enjoyment - for example, if you are worried about seeing the fireworks, maybe paying for a dessert party so you have a spot reserved would help ease your mind?

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

HI Danny,
I hope you were able to go to the parks and enjoy your time! If you did, what worked? What didn't? I am curious how you worked it out.

I have several mental illnesses and use a service dog for added symptom management, so I understand at least from my own perspective how hard things like this might be. However, I remember many years ago when I first posted here, I listed all the things I might have issues with (or that I faced daily from my mental illnesses) and I know there were some people who thought it would be impossible for me to handle the trip. I am so glad to say that I've been to WDW three times now (I grew up constantly going to Disneyland as an Anaheim native too) and I can have fun and enjoy myself, with a little help from a DAS, careful planning, going slow, my hubby and my service dog. There are often ways to make things work that may not be apparent to others.

Anyway, I'd love to hear how it went if you'd like to update. If not, that's okay. I know this is an older post.

Take care!
Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter