Norwegian dropping vaccine requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested to know the actual percentage though. Sheer numbers don't matter when the actual people sailing was quite less and in addition the variant was quite different back then compared to now.
We don't have exact numbers because nobody's publishing them. But, from reports on these forums, the case spread seems to be way higher now than it was back then. The variant of Covid-19 wasn't that different, though. In the fall and winter, when PCR testing at the port was required, Omicron was the dominant variant and we had that massive wave of cases.

I understand the downsides of testing at the port, though. I'm not here to argue about it and get us all in trouble again!

Of note, Disney is turning into one of the last holdouts on the testing requirement. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, MSC, and now Norwegian have all announced some form of dropping testing requirement on at least some of their cruises.

As far as I can tell, Disney, Holland, and Princess (not surprising there given the bad notoriety they gained in 2020) are the only ships that have a heavy US presence that have made no announcement yet on dropping testing. Have to feel like Disney is fighting for the same customer of Carnival, RC, and Norwegian to a degree and if they hold out much longer without cutting the testing back some, they'll start to lose some passengers to those other brands. Just my opinion.

Of note, Disney is turning into one of the last holdouts on the testing requirement. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, MSC, and now Norwegian have all announced some form of dropping testing requirement on at least some of their cruises.

As far as I can tell, Disney, Holland, and Princess (not surprising there given the bad notoriety they gained in 2020) are the only ships that have a heavy US presence that have made no announcement yet on dropping testing. Have to feel like Disney is fighting for the same customer of Carnival, RC, and Norwegian to a degree and if they hold out much longer without cutting the testing back some, they'll start to lose some passengers to those other brands. Just my opinion.
In defense of Princess on that one... That issue was really more about the gov't of Japan not allowing anyone to disembark and they would not allow the ship to leave port. Princess had no control over that. Had they moved everyone off the ship and/or segregated those to begin with, they wouldn't have had near the issue.

Princess cruise lines allows up to 10% of guests to be unvaccinated. Surprised me a little bit due to their demographics skewing older.

No testing is 100% but I accept taking a test. I just wish they would drop all this vaccine mess and make you sign something before cruising agreeing to accept all risk. No one “has” to sail.
Cruise ships have extremely small medical facilities and limited staff available to deal with severe cases of Covid-19. The ports that they visit likewise have limited medical facilities and staff available. Vaccines significantly reduce the chances of getting a server case of Covid-19. That's why cruise ships want their passengers to be vaccinated.

Norwegian is trying something new. We'll see how it works out.

No testing is 100% but I accept taking a test. I just wish they would drop all this vaccine mess and make you sign something before cruising agreeing to accept all risk. No one “has” to sail.

The last thing DCL needs is unvaccinated passengers getting seriously ill while on board. I hate the stress of having to test next month, but I'm glad they're still doing it. I'm glad other cruise lines are the guinea pigs on this one.

Cruise ships have extremely small medical facilities and limited staff available to deal with severe cases of Covid-19. The ports that they visit likewise have limited medical facilities and staff available. Vaccines significantly reduce the chances of getting a server case of Covid-19. That's why cruise ships want their passengers to be vaccinated.

Norwegian is trying something new. We'll see how it works out.

Then anyone at high risk for other major medical events shouldn’t cruise either. And many of those people still cruise.

Testing everyone at the port was pretty effective, though. We saw very few reports of Covid-19 on the ships back then.
Yes, but while we're loving the ship at 39% capacity, DCL was thinking, "We saw very few people onboard back then."

Yes, but while we're loving the ship at 39% capacity, DCL was thinking, "We saw very few people onboard back then."
No doubt. And, I'm sure that sailing with so few guests isn't sustainable for Disney.

I'm also sure that Disney could figure out how to keep PCR tests and higher guest counts. In fact, a bunch of cruises in the March-April sprint break window had rather high guest counts, based on reports here, and those cruises occurred before the switch to at-home tests.

We don't have exact numbers because nobody's publishing them. But, from reports on these forums, the case spread seems to be way higher now than it was back then.
I can’t help but wonder about the reasons behind unreported numbers. Were they not reported to help the industry or so not to hurt the industry?

If it were that easy why wouldn’t all amusement parks just have you “sign”?
We lost 8 riders and 2 bystanders yesterday Mr. CEO, but they all signed the paperwork. Would you like coffee black today?

I see your point. Although what if the people who want or require testing and vaccines changed to the last company that still offered it? Perhaps Disneys gain will be Norwegians loss, and vice versa, making it a wash?
What if Disney thought the bad press wasn’t worth it in the long run so they just decided to carry-on and ride it out for a while? The voice that says “I got Covid while on a Disney ship” is going to speak a lot louder than the one who had a great time and was healthy.
Disney was one of the last ducks back in the pond. Sometimes it’s not about being a leader. Sometimes it’s about being an alert follower and missing the land mines of those before you.

No doubt. And, I'm sure that sailing with so few guests isn't sustainable for Disney.

I'm also sure that Disney could figure out how to keep PCR tests and higher guest counts. In fact, a bunch of cruises in the March-April sprint break window had rather high guest counts, based on reports here, and those cruises occurred before the switch to at-home tests.
Those ships (except the Wish) are paid for a long time ago already. Sustainable except while empty outside the harbor running circles and figure eights to keep the parts in good shape.

Also if they keep up the tests and offer to have you do your own or pay Disney to do testing for you. I feel it’s a win win.

Those ships (except the Wish) are paid for a long time ago already. Sustainable except while empty outside the harbor running circles and figure eights to keep the parts in good shape.

Also if they keep up the tests and offer to have you do your own or pay Disney to do testing for you. I feel it’s a win win.
Well, the ships are paid for, but they require crew and maintenance and that's not paid for. Disney has to earn some money to keep that going and, being a business, they tend to like earning some extra money, too. So, I get that they have an interest in increasing the number of guests on the ships.

Then anyone at high risk for other major medical events shouldn’t cruise either. And many of those people still cruise.
What's Disney going to do? Ban obese people, old people, diabetics, anyone with an auto-immune disease, anyone with current or previous heart or lung troubles, anyone with cancer, and depressed people? Good luck with that!

Requiring the vaccines is the easiest way to reduce demand for the very limited medical facilities available onboard the ship. It's a smart strategy, even if some customers feel left out.

Well, the ships are paid for, but they require crew and maintenance and that's not paid for. Disney has to earn some money to keep that going and, being a business, they tend to like earning some extra money, too. So, I get that they have an interest in increasing the number of guests on the ships.

What's Disney going to do? Ban obese people, old people, diabetics, anyone with an auto-immune disease, anyone with current or previous heart or lung troubles, anyone with cancer, and depressed people? Good luck with that!

Requiring the vaccines is the easiest way to reduce demand for the very limited medical facilities available onboard the ship. It's a smart strategy, even if some customers feel left out.

Still doesn’t make sense if saying it’s because of medical facilities. Plus there is no proof that no vaccines would cause a problem. Even with no vaccine mandate there will still be a decent preventable of vaccinated guests especially in the higher risk group. And again it’s also on the cruiser to determine if the risk is something they can do or not, no one has to cruise .

I’m more comfortable cruising with a vaccine requirement. Given that Disney is cruising at or near full capacity and increasing cruise prices, it doesn’t appear that the vaccine requirement is hurting them financially. I also suspect that vaxxed consumers are better business for a number of reasons (from a purely financial perspective, more likely to be educated/ higher income). I’d like them to update the under 5 vaccine policy and am fine with eliminating the testing requirement. The antigen test a few days before is difficult on consumers and must be a headache to administer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter