Norfolk or Williamsburg VA???

zurgswife

WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is bett
Has anybody driven from either of these two areas. We are stopping Williamsburg for a few days and I'm wondering how long the drive to WDW is from VA

I would guess it's about 10 hours. We're in South Jersey. We drove straight through to WDW, ONCE NEVER AGAIN!!! and it took us about 16 hours, I think (it was about 19 years ago). We've driven to Williamsburg and that's between 5 1/2 - 6 hours from here. So my guess would be 10 hours!

It is a 12 hour drive from Richmond. We decided to fly and got a decent non-stop fare from Delta out of Richmond. I just got an email this morning that Air Tran is having a sale $67 each way (Richmond to Orlando). Southwest flies out of Norfolk and often offers good deals, too. But, if you are driving plan on 11 hours of DRIVING time. Don't know your situation, but my kids seem to need to stop every couple of hours and we figured it would take us 15 to get down there. We did consider breaking up the trip either staying somewhere cheap over night and getting back on the road early or doing a day or two at Hilton Head. But, then we figured with gas, food and hotel, we might as well fly.

We have driven from PA 3 times and it took about 17-18 hrs. I was just wondering how long from Williamsburg or norfolk. I'm figuring about 12 hours but was hoping someone who actually has done the drive can tell me how long it took them.

My kids are 8,11,12,14 so they can go longer distances without much of a stop. just at gas ups.

It is around 12-12/12 hrs from williamsburg to orlando. If you know some of the back roads you can shave off 45 minutes or so. But would recommend saying on 65 to 295 around richmond. As far as the drive from williamsburg to norfolk that can range. first is getting past newport news where there are several military bases (traffic can be bad) and then theres the tunnel. There always seems to be some sort of traffic before and after that. I would say to give yourself 50 minutes (minimum) to 1 1/2 hrs. Where are you staying in Williamsburg?

Many relatives have driven to and from Richmond/Orlando. It is about 12 hours. Eyeball a map and the distance from Richmond to 95 and Norfolk to 95 looks about the same. I was curious and checked MapQuest knowing their est. for Richmond is accurate and it says a bit longer from Norfolk (something like 15-20 minutes). Norfolk traffic can take up some time. I would say at least 12 hours, but expect 12 and add on for stops, (don't be surprised if you get caught up in traffic in Norfolk. Often we have taken 1/2 hour to get a few miles.)
I don't know the back roads. May be worth looking into. 95 seems to move pretty well on the weekdays, though.
You will certainly enjoy Williamsburg. Very fun and educational.

12 hours. If your starting in Norfolk - add time, dont go during rush hour. Jammed w/ military traffic etc around the base and tunnel. We prefer Williamsburg, really nice there with alot to see and do!
Good Luck.
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

I live in Va Beach, next town over from Norfolk. We have driven several times to Disney. Normally we stay over night somewhere in Georgia...But coming back we drive straight through and its about 13 hrs, give or take, depending on much you stop. We have kids, so we stop alot LOL

sbdw said:
It is around 12-12/12 hrs from williamsburg to orlando. If you know some of the back roads you can shave off 45 minutes or so. But would recommend saying on 65 to 295 around richmond. As far as the drive from williamsburg to norfolk that can range. first is getting past newport news where there are several military bases (traffic can be bad) and then theres the tunnel. There always seems to be some sort of traffic before and after that. I would say to give yourself 50 minutes (minimum) to 1 1/2 hrs. Where are you staying in Williamsburg?

Ok, so I guess 12 hours or so is going to be my goal. Thanks for the imput.

We are staying at the new Greatwolf Lodge. Looks like a great place for kids with the 2 indoor water parks. I figure we can drag them around Williamsburg during the day and let them play at night in the water park.

zurgswife said:
Ok, so I guess 12 hours or so is going to be my goal. Thanks for the imput.

We are staying at the new Greatwolf Lodge. Looks like a great place for kids with the 2 indoor water parks. I figure we can drag them around Williamsburg during the day and let them play at night in the water park.

Zurgswife, We have only driven once from Virginia Beach and I agree with all the previous posts regarding the time. We have only driven once because on the way home, we got a flat on 95 in Florida, right in the middle of the construction zone, with no shoulder. By the time the tow guy got there, took us to his station in the middle of no where, had someone deliver a tire to him because he didn't have one that would fit, and put it on, this added 5 hours to our trip. :earseek:

I'm not saying anything was wrong with the tow guy. He was great! It was around Christmas time and he was having an employee party at his house that night, but he didn't leave us until he was sure the tire was on the car! I know this made him run late for his own party!!! Thanks tow guy!

Let me know how Greatwolf Lodge is. I can see it from the highway. It looks so much like Wilderness Lodge, I get happy when I see it! We are thinking about taking a mini vacation there in August. Hope you have a great time!

Candi

zurgswife, when will you be in the area?!? You will HAVE to stop by and say hi (I work in Prime Outlets- which I KNOW you will be visiting ;) )

Greatwolf is gorgeous inside. So big! I know you will enjoy your trip.
And yes, plan on a 12 hour trip. DH has done this for us 3 times :)

pumpkinfish Can you recommend a hotel to stay at in Williamsburg? Since we can't get to Disney this year :sad2: we have to settle for Water Country and Busch Gardens, but we have no idea where to stay. I doubt we will be at the hotel much and I don't mind paying $150-200 a night. I guess in a pinch we can stay at the Embassey Suites. I generally have good luck there. Any suggestions?

We've made the drive from Richmond to WDW in 12-13 hours, so I would agree that Williamsburg to WDW would be at least that.

Two possible routes I can think of to get to I-95 are a) taking I-64 east to I-295 south to I-95, or b) the ferry from Williamsburg to Surry, take route 10 to route 40 to I-95. I've never done the second one so I don't know how it compares timewise, but if you have a map it looks to be pretty simple.

Pumpkinfish, where do you work at Prime Outlets? DW MeanLaureen and I were there last weekend.

Skatermom23 said:
pumpkinfish Can you recommend a hotel to stay at in Williamsburg? Since we can't get to Disney this year :sad2: we have to settle for Water Country and Busch Gardens, but we have no idea where to stay. I doubt we will be at the hotel much and I don't mind paying $150-200 a night. I guess in a pinch we can stay at the Embassey Suites. I generally have good luck there. Any suggestions?

The Hilton Garden Inn is a lovely place. It is fairly new and about 10 mins from Busch and WCUSA. Or you can really splurge and stay in Kingsmill which is right next to Busch. It is suites, so not sure their rates.

Here is a website you can check out. Not sure if you have your tickets yet, but you can get packages: https://reservations.4adventure.com/bgw_vacations/scripts/default.aspx

Good luck! Let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you! :wizard:

we drive from Richmond to Orlando every year. it usually takes about 11-13 hours depending on traffic and bathroom/gas breaks. Williamsburg is fun. There is a lot of history,especially in Colonial Williamsburg. The pottery is a fun place to explore, Busch Gardens is fun. Beautiful place.

Pumkinfish, where do you work at Prime outlets. I lived in Williamsburg for over 25 years and used to work at Waterford Wedgwood up until about a year ago.

Pumkinfish, where do you work in Prime Outlets, if I may ask. I used to live in Williamsburg for over 25 years and worked at Waterford Wedgwood up until a year ago. :wave2:

rbork said:
12 hours. If your starting in Norfolk - add time, dont go during rush hour. Jammed w/ military traffic etc around the base and tunnel. We prefer Williamsburg, really nice there with alot to see and do!
Good Luck.
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

:scared1:
I'll be driving down in 3 weeks, 81-64-95 (last leg from Richmond). What kind of TUNNEL are we talking about here? I'm not so great with the tunnel thing - the Lehigh one (PA) really stretches my personal claustrophobia limits. Please, someone let me know quickly so I can change my itinerary if necessary!!

sbdw said:
Pumkinfish, where do you work in Prime Outlets, if I may ask. I used to live in Williamsburg for over 25 years and worked at Waterford Wedgwood up until a year ago. :wave2:

I work at Guess?. I have been in the company for 6 years and have been at this store since '99 with a brief stint in Westchester while we lived in NY.

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter