Nor Cal drivers: stops on 101?

ExcitedMama

DIS Veteran
The last two trips we went 46 to 5 to Anaheim. DH is thinking we should take 101 tomorrow to avoid the long desolate stretch since online it's only showing about a 15 min. difference. Hoping to leave early so hopefully not too much traffic. I went UCSB so I am very familiar with 101 to that point. Last time we needed to find restrooms quickly for the kids and ended up in areas that we didn't think were very safe in L.A. Is there a point after Santa Barbara that we should plan on a last stop before the hotel? Like a point at which stopping for a bathroom won't be very clean or safe?

The Commons at Calabasas has various restaurants and gas stations nearby where you could quickly get off and on 101.

Camarillo also hosts one of the Premium Outlets chains of outlet stores, they have superb bathroom facilities and an eating area, along with plenty of car parking. Ideal for a stretch if you're breaking up a long journey to or from Disneyland.

The Commons at Calabasas has various restaurants and gas stations nearby where you could quickly get off and on 101.

Yeah, once you pass Calabasas is becomes dense urban area all the way to and through LA. I would plan for a pit stop there or Camarillo.

Yeah, once you pass Calabasas is becomes dense urban area all the way to and through LA. I would plan for a pit stop there or Camarillo.
That's what we like about the Commons. Relatively open space where you can eat/shop if you want and is located just before it starts to feel like LA.

If you don't like traipsing through restaurants to find a restroom, there's one at Ralphs (grocery store) that's usually pretty clean. Sorry, but I can't remember if there's a restroom located outside of Ralphs/restaurants.

Camarillo also hosts one of the Premium Outlets chains of outlet stores, they have superb bathroom facilities and an eating area, along with plenty of car parking. Ideal for a stretch if you're breaking up a long journey to or from Disneyland.

The last couple times we went to the outlets, the bathrooms were really disgusting - used toilet paper left on the floor next to the toilet, etc. That was about a year ago, though, so maybe they've started cleaning better?

As for stops, there's Casitas Pass Rd in Carpinteria - there's a McDonald's right at the exit. The Seaward exit in Ventura has McD's and In n Out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter