Non-Park Day - Looking for Dinner Suggestions

this is a little offbeat and not upscale at all, but we went to the magic show dinner at Wonder Works. All you can eat pizza, soft drinks, and beer, my wife, 3 kids (10,8,5) and I were rolling in the aisle the whole time and amazed at the magic. Just outstanding.

I should have mentioned we won't have a car.

Some wonderful suggestions though. SOme I have never heard of. Thank you.

Originally posted by jonsmom57
I should have mentioned we won't have a car.

Some wonderful suggestions though. SOme I have never heard of. Thank you.

My advice - GET A CAR!
I can't imagine doing Disney without one. I would go crazy depending on buses for all my transportation and you wouldn't be able to do anything offsite. There are some limitations to onsite transport. Its very difficult to get from one hotel to another.

Steve

Sorry....I disagree.

There is so much to do in WDW and we are only there for one week, so I can't imagine doing anything outside the park. We rented a car a couple of years ago and it was a waste.

As far as WDW transportation goes, we are staying in a monorail resort for convenience so transportation won't be a problem.

We have never been disappointed with resort transportation.

Car or no car is a regular debate around here, just like onsite or offsite. There is no right answer but some very strong opinions on each side.

My main problem with onsite transport is how much time you waste getting from place to place, especially places that don't have a direct connection. For example, if you are at the Contemporary at want to go to AKL for dinner at Boma, it can easily take you up to an hour to make that trip. By car, its 10 minutes.

Even when we stay onsite, we always get a car and use it for all of our transportation (except when we use the monorail). Just our personal preference.

Steve

I agree.

Like Hoop Dee Doo or not to Hoop Dee Doo.

I agree, sometimes making connections can be a horror!

Jonsmom

can't imagine going to WDW without a car particularly with a crowd. Given a taxi far of $60 one way, the ability to get to a grocery store easy and more flexibility getting around, we always get a car. With Orlando being the greatest buyer market in rental cars in the country, if you work on it, you can get some pretty good deals....

I am not going during a crowded time. Nor am I going with a crowd. Check your rates-car rentals are expensive in Orlando. A towncar will run us about $100 with a 30 minute grocery stop. If you needed other items/sundries, they are available at a fair cost at the souvenier shops. It wouldnt outweight the cost of a rental car or a meal. I am on vacation not sitting n traffic on 192.

jonsmom
I'm one of the few on this board that also think a car is a waste. Unless you are planning to go to attractions off property. I can't believe all the complaining I hear about Disney transportation. Maybe because I always go off season but I've never had a problem. Even going resort to resort while it may take longer than driving, I'm on vacation a break from the hectic so its no bother to take a little longer. I think the majority don't take public transportation so are not used to being on someone else's schedule. Believe me public transportation in the NY/NJ area could use some training from Disney.

sue1013 - Despite my earlier comments, I think Disney does an absolutely phenomenal job of moving guests around on property. But when I am on vacation, I don't want to have to wait around for buses and be tied to set routes. I'm also not willing to waste the time it takes to make certain connections (one hotel to another). That's purely my preference and I certainly understand that others feel differently. I love to drive so hopping in my car to move around (or off) property is no bother at all.

jonsmom57 - I can't say that I agree with your comment that the Disney souvenir shops have what you might need at fair prices. They charge more for one can of Coke than the local Publix or Goodings charges for a 6 pack. Prices are equally inflated on virtually everything they sell. I consider the Disney resorts shops to be one step below hotelroom minibars from a value standpoint. That said, it may certainly be true for you that the cost of a rental car isn't justified if you never plan to leave the property. But I can honestly say that in 13 trips staying offsite, I have never once had to sit in traffic on 192. And I only recall one time when we got stuck on I-4 because a local news helicopter crashed on the median of the highway.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter