Noise cancelling headphones for flight

Henlady

DIS Veteran
I only fly a couple times a year but the loud vibration sound in the plane is nerve wracking to me. What would be the best headphones to use without spending a fortune ? Thanks for your help.

What do you consider to be "spending a fortune?" The Bose headphones are the best for air travel, hands down. Even the older ones work great, so maybe you can find some used and replace the ear cups.

I use some Airpod Pro's most of the time and the noise cancelling is pretty good, but I always take my Bose QC25's when I fly.

What do you consider a "fortune"? I have a pair of AKG N60 that I like. Looks like they're around $150-200 (I don't think I spent that much though). I use them for watching my tablet at home and on flights.

Bose QC25. I prefer the corded version as they are more lightweight (I have a sensitive scalp). I've had mine for almost 10 years now. They are my favorite. I use them every day, practically. I also have the Bose 700 but they are not as comfortable for long wear (they are cordless and much heavier). I use those mainly to watch TV when I can't have the TV on. They connect to our Bose soundbar.

I'm a huge Bose fan. Their noise cancelling is the best in the industry. I've not found another brand that can beat them.

Not to hijack a thread, but I have a question about AirPod Pros on flights and this seems like a good place to ask. If you use the noise cancellation, do they work like the Earplanes you can buy to prevent ear pain? The last time I flew, I had the worst pain so I bought those earplaness but I also now have AirPod Pros. Does anyone know which are better to prevent ear pain?

Let me know if you also find a brand that allows you to block out the dangerous noise level but still allows you to hear lower level in case something is behind you ? Thanks
Goal is also to protect your hearing and keep you safe

I second the Bose headphone there great for noise cancelling, you can get them fairy cheap used. We only use them once or twice a year when flying so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I'm basically never going to use. I went with the Bose quietcomfort 15 and I got 4 pairs for the family sub $40 each on ebay and there perfect. They are wired so keep that in mind but you can buy a bluetooth adaptor if you need it and they sell replacement ear muffs(amazon) pretty cheap if you don't want to put used ear muffs on.

Or you can get a basic wired set from Sony for $50 at Best Buy that will do everything you need them to do. Especially if you want to watch the plane's movies. I've had a pair for 6+ years and they work just as good as many for twice the price.

Also consider what seat you book. If I sit next to or near the wings, the vibration noise level bothers me so much more.

Last edited:
Or you can get a basic wired set from Sony for $50 at Best Buy that will do everything you need them to do. Especially if you want to watch the plane's movies. I've had a pair for 6+ years and they work just as good as many for twice the price.
This ^^^. I have Sony ones and they work fine.

I have sony wired NC headphones and Anker Soundcore Q30 wireless. I much prefer the Ankers. I had a set of Q20's that physically broke this summer after having used and abused them for 3 years. I replaced those with the set of Q30 that have been very nice. I got the Q30 for $60 on Amazon and really like them. If you are willing to spend the $300 for Bose I would go that route, but the Anker gets you 90% of the way there at 15% of the cost. I've used the Sonys but they aren't as good as the Anker, I let my kids use them when we fly. But I might buy my older son a set of Soundcores for his birthday this year.

I have the Cowin E7 headphones that I bought through Amazon, I also now see the Silensys E7 and they appear to be the same ones. They currently are 49.99 and have a 15% off coupon. I like them and even bought my daughter and wife a pair.

These are what I have and I would buy them again. The full noise cancellation does not completely block sound. You can still hear people talking but it’s muffled, kind of like if you stuck your fingers in your ears. I wear them on the bus to work and it’s so much better. You cam double tap the left one to switch between 2 of 3 cancellation settings: full cancel (again not 100%), no cancel, and one that’s in between. I choose to use full and no cancel.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/earbuds/quietcomfort-earbuds.html#v=qc_earbuds_black

They’re also currently on sale for $80 off

Not to hijack a thread, but I have a question about AirPod Pros on flights and this seems like a good place to ask. If you use the noise cancellation, do they work like the Earplanes you can buy to prevent ear pain? The last time I flew, I had the worst pain so I bought those earplaness but I also now have AirPod Pros. Does anyone know which are better to prevent ear pain?

Your AirPod Pros will not behave like Airplanes. I also have very bad ear pain while flying so I use Earplanes, and over the ear, noise cancelling headphones (Bose for me too, their NC is top notch)

We’ve used the Bose over-ear headphones for several years (we’re now using the 700 model) and feel they’re the best, although admittedly there are less expensive options. I purchased the in-ear Beats Fit Pro earbuds for work and they are fine for the office (for Zoom calls and the like) although I haven’t tried them on a plane; they were 179.00 on Amazon. I do prefer the over-ear type myself, although they’re a bit bulkier to carry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter