No see 'Ems while on cruise?

shefor24

Mouseketeer
Okay, I forgot all about these crazy things called no see 'ems. I've never had them and hope to not get them. Do I have to worry about that while we're on this cruise in October? I mean at teh ports- Nassau and Castaway Cay?? Any advise to prevent them? Will just "Off" work or do you have to buy something special to make sure you won't get them?:confused:

I am HIGHLY allergic to no see 'um bites and have tons of problems in Florida if I don't use insect repellant. I actually have NO problems while on the cruise, but I would use OFF or any good insect repellant just in case, if you are sensitive to them as I am.

Have fun! :)

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Actually we have never been bothered by them.

Been on two short DCL cruises and go on our third next week. I get "no see um" welts on my legs at WDW, but fortunately have not been bothered on the cruise or on Castaway Cay.

My DW is very allergic to no-see-um bites. While we were on Sanibel Island last year, she had to go to urgent care after a nasty attack.

The resort told us to put on Avon's Skin So Soft lotion as a repellant. They sold small bottles of it in their gift shop (of course!). My DW tried it and it helped some, but it washes off easily.

The doc told us the reaction is because the little buggers urinate on your skin! UGH!:eek:

This is a new one, what are they? I have been to WDW several times, in May and never have heard of them. Is there a certain time of year they are out? I thought all we had to worry about is the sea lice, know we have worry about the no see ums(LOL) Maybe I will buy the sea safe lotion and use it for both parts of our land/sea trip.:.>

We stayed in Sanibel Island 3 years in a row and the no-seeums came out around dusk heavily. The locals said they come out when there is no wind or breeze and usually they are concentrated around water.

I was eaten alive by something on Castaway Cay and after reading all the posts recently about NO SEEUMS I decided that that's what got me. Itchy Itchy Itchy. Next time I will use my skin so soft.

Hi Folks:wave:

In case you are wondering "you can't hear um" either:p

No see 'ums are very tiny pests that can hop onto your legs, if you are walking, or other body parts if you are sitting down. We've never encountered them at Disney, but have always had trouble with them at FL beaches. They are all this because you can't see them, but you can sure feel the effect of their "activities."

Avon Skin So Soft helps repel them on some people, but my DW is very allergic to them. The Avon SOS didn't help her; so around dusk we leave the beach area fast.

Her reaction included small red bumps on her arms and legs that itched badly. We had to get a prescription to help her.

Just curious to know...would these be "sand fleas" by any chance or "sea gnats"? Tiny little pests that you really do not see until the pain kicks in. I've been bothered by both and know the pain and itch they can cause.

Hi y'all...

I live here in the swamps - noseeum land...the hot, dry tropical south!!

Those litter critters LOVE me, especially my ankles and the tops
of my feet.

I know this is messy...but I learned a treatment from the Natives
that live here on the Island and on nearby Daufuskie Island.

Wet the tip of your finger, press your finger into real table salt and rub it on the bites, sort of like a paste. And leave it. Believe me....although it's messy...it does work! There are also critteres here, called Chiggers...they love my dh...he uses the salt treatment and it helps tremendously. Chiggers are like huge
misquitos and they make NASTY bites

Just some random thoughts for those interested.

Phyllis
:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter