NO RECEPTION-am i normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this was bothering me so I did a little research

From the official Disney site

What is the best way to dress for a day at the parks? Is there any clothing that isn't permissible?

The parks are a casual, family-oriented environment. We suggest you dress comfortably, wear good walking shoes and check the local weather report before you leave for the parks.
Ensuring that the parks are family friendly is an important part of the Disney experience. In that spirit, we ask you to use your discretion and common sense. Attire that is not appropriate for the theme parks (and which may result in refusal of admittance) includes but is not limited to:
Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character
Masks (unless you are dressing up for a particular event)
Clothing with objectionable material, including obscene language or graphics
Excessively torn clothing
Clothing which, by nature, exposes excessive portions of the skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment
Objectionable tattoos
A Guest is allowed into the parks if her or his hair (or make-up, if applicable) has been made to resemble a Disney Princess or character (for example, after a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique makeover) provided the Guest is not also wearing a costume or clothed to look like the character.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/theme-parks

From the Dis wdw info site

Examples of unacceptable attire includes:

Clothing displaying offensive messages/language
Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as a costume (children under age 10 are excluded)
Clothing made with offensive material, (ie transparent)
Clothing that is excessively torn
Clothing which exposes inappropriate portions of the body such as string bikini tops, G-strings, bikini bottoms, etc.
Guests wearing wedding attire are discouraged from entering the Theme Parks.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/tips_for_touring/dress-code.htm

Neither say NO wedding attire, and only the dis one even mentions wedding attire, and it says discouraged not disallowed:confused3

We're not having a reception either. We're paying for the wedding ourselves, so it's not financially possible for us to have one. With that being said, we are making an ADR at Chef Mickey's for everyone who wishes to attend. We're using our Facebook site for everyone to let us know whether they want to go or not.

I guess I'm old fashioned, but if you expect people to pay their way to your destination wedding, I think it is only right that you feed them. Just my opinion.

ETA: just read your response to someone else who thinks you should feed the people. Just seems presumptuous to spend so much on a Disney wedding but oh by the way, can't afford to feed the guests. JUst a matter of choices you're making. You did ask what people thought, so people are telling you. It's just a difference of opinion. Doesn't mean you have to defend your stance. If you don't really want differing opinions, don't ask the question, right? I wish you only the best and hope you have a lovely wedding.

I personally don't expect anything from anyone. I invited my guests to come. That doesn't mean they have to come. I'd love for them to be there, but I can't afford to help them pay for anything.

We weren't even going to have a wedding they could attend anyway. We were originally going to get married in Jamaica. The whole family complained about not being able to be there, so we moved it inland. We knew we didn't want a wedding at home. There was NO way possible for us to pay for something like that. Too many guests would be there. We love theme parks, especially Disney. I've looked into the weddings there before and just didn't think it was plausible. After much figuring and adjusting of our budget, we're managing it.

But nobody was invited that doesn't know about everything that has to be paid for out of their own pockets.

I did some research myself and found this on the Disney Weddings site, particularly on the Memories FAQ section:

http://disneyweddings.disney.go.com/weddings/florida/escapememoriespackage/faq/detail

Can we add a private catered event to the Memories Collection?

A private catered event at Walt Disney World is available for groups of 10 guests or more. The Memories Collection is designed for parties of 6 or less; please contact Walt Disney World dining at 407-WDW-DINE or online at Disneyworld.com to make a reservation at one of our restaurants. (Please note: Wedding attire is not permitted to be worn in Walt Disney World theme parks.)

and

Can I wear my Wedding Dress into the Theme Parks?

For the safety of all parties involved, we do not allow wedding attire in our Theme Parks. You can, however, wear your wedding attire to any restaurant in a Walt Disney World Resort or Downtown Disney.

I agree with the above. Wedding dresses are not allowed in the parks (and restaurants therein) only in resorts and their restaurants.

I personally don't expect anything from anyone. I invited my guests to come. That doesn't mean they have to come. I'd love for them to be there, but I can't afford to help them pay for anything.

We weren't even going to have a wedding they could attend anyway. We were originally going to get married in Jamaica. The whole family complained about not being able to be there, so we moved it inland. We knew we didn't want a wedding at home. There was NO way possible for us to pay for something like that. Too many guests would be there. We love theme parks, especially Disney. I've looked into the weddings there before and just didn't think it was plausible. After much figuring and adjusting of our budget, we're managing it.

But nobody was invited that doesn't know about everything that has to be paid for out of their own pockets.

thank you. someone who understands that money doesnt grow on trees.

if it's just family i think it would be fine. I wouldn't think people would expect everything with a disney wedding to be really traditional.

I think what people are suggesting is to let your guests know ahead of time that a meal will not be provided. I like the AP's suggestion of putting "cake and champagne to follow the ceremony." That way you dont get disappointed guests. No one is telling you that you NEED to have a meal at your reception; however, it is the expectation. :hippie:

As far as wearing your short dress in the park, you may want to bring a change of clothes, just in case. I have heard of people getting away with wearing non-wedding wedding dresses into the parks. But, if you are drawing attention to yourself (large party, all dressed up, taking pictures), then there's a chance they will figure out what's going on and ask you to leave. Better to be prepared! :hippie::hippie::hippie:

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and welcome to the boards!

well cake, pictures and a toast are all included in my wedding package. but i dont intend to do a sit down dinner or centerpieces. and if my guests are "surprised"?.......let em be. go with the flow. its disney!
You had me worried there for a minute. I was afraid that you were going to invite everyone to your expensive destination wedding and not even have cake. Personally, I think you should feed them too. You don't need a fancy smancy official "reception" with all the trimmings but I think you should at least make a restaurant reservation.

:lmao:

Don't get me wrong. I'd LOVE to be able to pay for everyone to have a meal together. It's just not feasible for us. If unexpected money falls from the sky, then I will buy them dinner!! :rotfl2:

Looks like money might be falling. Not from the sky though. :laughing: We were going to do the ears for everyone with their names. But since you all INSIST :rotfl: on me feeding these people.. we're going to cancel that plan, and use that money towards having a meal together. :yay:

Looks like money might be falling. Not from the sky though. :laughing: We were going to do the ears for everyone with their names. But since you all INSIST :rotfl: on me feeding these people.. we're going to cancel that plan, and use that money towards having a meal together. :yay:
Frankly, I think your guests will enjoy celebrating your special day with you over dinner more than receiving ears with their name on it. The ears are a cute idea and everything, but that's the kind of thing that people are happy to pay OOP for :).

You had me worried there for a minute. I was afraid that you were going to invite everyone to your expensive destination wedding and not even have cake. Personally, I think you should feed them too. You don't need a fancy smancy official "reception" with all the trimmings but I think you should at least make a restaurant reservation.

let me elaborate a second.....my "expensive destination wedding" is actually not expensive at all. it is a fraction of what i would cost to have a "real" wedding. the disney wedding decision was intentional. intentionally to save money.
now...i am not cheap but nor am i rich. i know my friends and family do not expect me to pay for them nor would they allow me to.
they are coming at their own discretion and are under no misconceptions that i am paying for their meals. they also understand i am not equipped to.
my family has zero expectations from me on that day....and neither should anyone else. does anyone remember when your special day was planned they way the bride and groom wanted it and not the way everyone else "thought" it should be.....?

I'd definately bring a change of clothes to the park just in case.
Good luck!! Congrats on the wedding!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter