No more rolling coolers!

I was on the 9.29 Fantasy cruise and we carried on a soft sided cooler tote bag from 31 that hangs off our stroller. We did have wine & vodka but I also had whole milk for my 16 month old as well that needed to stay cold until we got to our fridge in our room.

No one said anything to us...

I just spoke with DCL (forgot to have hubsters CPAP noted on the ressie) and I asked, and was told: "The cooler rule, as well as the limit on alcohol is now being STRICTLY enforced. Again, the AMOUNT of alcohol per person.".

Hmmm..perhaps some folks have been trying to sneak some extras on board?

wait so, If i put drinks inside a rolling bag, not an actual cooler, I can't use it?

DCL's policy allowing guests to bring alcohol onboard is that they will consume that alcohol within the confines of their own stateroom. Hence, there should be no need for a cooler to take your drinks anywhere.

I just spoke with DCL (forgot to have hubsters CPAP noted on the ressie) and I asked, and was told: "The cooler rule, as well as the limit on alcohol is now being STRICTLY enforced. Again, the AMOUNT of alcohol per person.".

Hmmm..perhaps some folks have been trying to sneak some extras on board?

DCL's policy allowing guest to bring alcohol onboard hasn't had a PER PERSON limit...? No "extra" to sneak onboard.

For those of you who had your coolers taken away did they take your alcohol as well??

Add the rolling cooler that we saw in the bar while we were watching thurs night football. I'm sure disney would have preferred those 4 guys to buy at the bar or at least have the inconvenience of going back to their room for another drink.

Wow! And what bar would they be able to do that on land? None! I think we have our answer folks as to what was the icing on the cake!

I agree that taking a cooler to the pool deck or a bar is going way overboard. I bring on 2 bottled waters per person and a few bottles of wine to enjoy before dinner. I really only like to drink very sweet Moscato D'Asti that isn't served on the ship, so that's why I bring it onboard. I do buy cocktails and mixed drinks at shows and at dinner (the bartender has to do some work to make those), but paying the premium for someone to just open a bottle of wine just doesn't make sense to me. I've actually never put ice in the cooler or taken it out of the stateroom. Just easy storage and then I had an empty piece of "luggage" to take off the ship with that last night of dirty clothes souvenirs in it. I'll easily switch to a small rolling suitcase and stay within reason. The fridge/cooling box kept the wine nice and chilly. No big deal, just a bit of surprise at the port with the policy enforcement (especially since we just cruised in June).

As for the fishing poles (I'm thinking the kind that come apart and then screw back together), I guess maybe some avid fishermen might want to fish at Castaway Cay or at Nassau, but they have excursions for that where they provide the equipment.

lanejudy said:
DCL's policy allowing guest to bring alcohol onboard hasn't had a PER PERSON limit...? No "extra" to sneak onboard.

DCL does have a limit now. I don't have access to it now, but DCL instated a limit in the amount of alcohol allowed per person over the age of 21 just before the Dream was introduced. pirate:

ETA: and apparently DCL never officially made this change... But it was anticipated to be a limit of 1 bottle of champagne/wine OR 6 cans/bottles of beer per person over age 21. Not sure if this is what DCL is referring to as the AMOUNT

Just off the 10-13 fantasy and had a fantastic cruise. Only issue was that DCL is now banning all coolers, no exceptions.

I proceeded to show the security officer my insulin pump attached to my abdomen, insulin bottles, needles and other medical supplies. He said no exceptions. I was allowed to unpack cooler and carry the contents on board, just couldn't take the cooler on board. Security gave me a receipt and cooler was waiting for us when we debarked with the rest of our luggage in the terminal.

When I inquired with DCL at check-in desk, I was informed to check with medical center to make arrangements for medication.

I understand that DCL is now enforcing a long standing rule, I just wish I could have known ahead of time and made other arrangements.

Not that we have to worry about meds. Thank you for posting this.

Not being able to keep meds cool I think is bad. If there is a medical reason than I think there should be an exception. I would be good with it.

I hope they were able to get you, your meds.

DCL does have a limit now. I don't have access to it now, but DCL instated a limit in the amount of alcohol allowed per person over the age of 21 just before the Dream was introduced. pirate:

ETA: and apparently DCL never officially made this change... But it was anticipated to be a limit of 1 bottle of champagne/wine OR 6 cans/bottles of beer per person over age 21. Not sure if this is what DCL is referring to as the AMOUNT

Curious as to where you got this info. This is what is on their website:

Beverage Policy
Question
What is the policy regarding bringing alcoholic beverages on board?
Answer
Alcohol is permitted on board. However, any fragile items (including alcoholic beverages) must be hand-carried on board in the carry-on of an adult Guest – age 21 or older (dimensions can't exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep).

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Guests who arrive in the dining room, including Palo and Remy, with a bottle of champagne or wine will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

Hmmm. The DCL website specifically lists that 'no coolers rule' will be excempted for medical reasons. Sounds like you had an over-zealous bag-checker. OR they need to update the website.

'Coolers are not permitted except for those needed for medications, baby food or items related to dietary constraints.'

Maybe the cooler was too big?? :confused3. The DCL website also says the cooler cannot be larger than 12x12x12.

Don't they sell coolers on board? I know one year, some bartenders made us a magical family, and gave us a DCL soft sided cooler, which I assumed was also available for purchase.

Regardless, I dont think we've ever used a cooler on DCL with the beverage cooler in the room and plenty of ice available for the asking.

Still, it ticks me off that people are that brazen to roll a cooler into one of the bars or by poolside. Jerks like that ruin it for everyone.

Don't they sell coolers on board? I know one year, some bartenders made us a magical family, and gave us a DCL soft sided cooler, which I assumed was also available for purchase.

Yes. We bought one, filled with bottled water, on the way to an excursion.

Correct, the limit was never instated:

Disney Cruise Line: We’re not changing alcohol policy

(Disney Cruise Line)

At least one website recently reported that Disney Cruise Line has tightened its policy about passengers bringing alcohol onboard and then reconsidered it when passengers complained. A DCL spokeswoman said the cruise line’s original policy still is in place.

Disney is known for being more lenient than many other cruise lines, so the item posted on Examiner.com and picked up by other sites upset cruisers. The article stated that next month DCL would limit the carry-on alcohol of each passenger age 21 or older to one bottle of wine or champagne or 6 bottles or cans of beer. The article also stated that the alcohol had to be in a carry-on and any excess would be confiscated.

However, Rebecca Peddie, a Disney Cruise Line public affairs manager, said this is not the case. “Although we continually evaluate all of our policies and occasionally make adjustments, at this time, there has been no change to our alcohol policy.”

Disney Cruise Line’s current policy states:

** Alcohol must be carried onboard — not packed in checked luggage.

** There is no quantity limit per se, but carry-on bags cannot exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep.

** Coolers are not allowed onboard, except for medical reasons.

** A corkage fee is charged for all bottles opened by a wine steward.

** Liquor purchased in port or in duty-free shops is held until debarkation.

wait so, If i put drinks inside a rolling bag, not an actual cooler, I can't use it?

No one said that:confused3 You can't bring a rolling cooler or regular cooler onboard. You can still bring any other type of rolling bag or suitcase or duffle or tote bag as long as it fits in the security scanner.

MJ

Seems it was either a CM following the new policy too restrictively or it was matter of size.

Just how big are your supplies?and how big was the cooler?

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter