No More DME Baggage Delivery To Resorts

I guess this means I won’t have to hunt down my luggage at the end of the day when my bags didn’t arrive in my room! :rotfl:

(We really do like the service, but seem to have the worst luck with our bags actually making it to our room).

I'm not sure that's a fair argument for those who have concerns about luggage handling due to disabilities, little kids, elderly, etc. Many people come from small airports, or don't travel frequently, or some choose to vacation only at WDW. This is because WDW would make everything so easy. They are known for accommodating to families, disabilities, and even those with food allergies. One part of this was not having to maneuver your luggage upon arrival in a large airport. But now, people are on their own and it may be prohibitive or at least anxiety inducing for some travelers. When these people are departing, there is curbside check-in or maybe family there to assist so the challenge will now be how to handle it when they arrive.

I understand, as I commented in the non quoted portion, I travel with someone with disabilities, developmental and physical. I understand trying to get from place to place with mobility devices, medical equipment, and luggage. I do not rely on one option for any travel with my sister. I make sure I know additional options.

This is why I informed the person I quoted that I would arrive at MCO for departure via a different method. Using a taxi or car service would have someone that could load the luggage into the vehicle and off load. The person needing assistance would be in the right spot for dropping off luggage and getting the assistance they need.

As it is without RAC, many people will find it easier, especially if they need to check luggage. I know it is a haul from DME to Southwest’s counters.

Is a temporary change not a actual loss of service if it occurs during your stay? If I travel in December and they aren’t offering the service, that’s a loss.
But aren't they discounting rooms? So therefore maybe you're not paying for a service you're not getting?

Thank you for validating my point. By your logic, I am unrealistic in my expectations.
What? Accusing someone of being a ____ defender is intended to be insulting. The people being accused are, instead, realistic. No way that can reasonably be considered to mean other people aren't realistic :confused3

Age and experience, dude. That's all it is.

Sigh. RAC is identical to curbside check in at any airport in the world that offers this service, the only exception being the curb is about 20 miles from the terminal.
  • Bus transportation between MCO and WDW in both directions: provided by Mears under contract with Disney.
  • Luggage transport: provided by BAGS, Inc., under contract with Disney.
  • Resort Airline Check In: provided and started by MCO, under contract with Disney.

I tip the driver if for luggage handling, but I never tipped the RAC. Those curbside services expect $5/bag at least. We only have a couple of bags but for large families that could add up.

Does anyone know what side American Airlines is at MDE. Just wondering if we should also get a car service. We only have two large bags, 2 carry on bags and 2 backpacks - but I would rather not go back to go forward :)

I wonder if the DME pick up times from the resorts to MCO will be adjusted, to compensate for those needing to stand in line at the airline ticket counters to drop their checked bags. I can't possibly imagine how many guests will be affected by the elimination (whether temporary or permanent) of the RAC service and how that translates into additional customers (how many?) standing in line at the ticket counters. It will be especially bad during peak travel times...Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc., if RAC has not been reinstated by then.

Does anyone know what side American Airlines is at MDE. Just wondering if we should also get a car service. We only have two large bags, 2 carry on bags and 2 backpacks - but I would rather not go back to go forward :)
Looks like B side if I'm reading MCO's website correctly.

Everyone, please just wait for you accounts to be credited, reflecting the loss of services. My guess is that the RAC wasn’t handled by a 3rd party, so it’s just a service they no longer want to offer. It’s getting harder and harder to rationalize spending 10k for 5 days and only getting Kings Island amenities.
Wow 10k for 5 days??? I definitely do Disney wrong. 6 days is only costing me $1500😳😳. But I digress. I find it very funny to read all the doom and gloom comments about the (perhaps) temporary loss of luggage handling and RAC. I’ve spent years on this board reading people complain that they don’t trust DME to deliver their bags, that they HAVE to have their bags with them, that they can’t live without their bags for even a minute. Now it’s gone and it’s a crisis!!!

Last edited:
Disney's Website still says for DME 2 to 3 weeks from your arrival you will get yellow tags and you proceed directly to the DME kiosks. I don't see anything on the Disney Website that states this is ending anywhere. I would think it would be posted on the Disney Website some where under things you need to know when Disney reopens.

Update, I finally found it. This is so disappointing.

Last edited:
But aren't they discounting rooms? So therefore maybe you're not paying for a service you're not getting?
Where are you getting that they're discounting rooms? Other than for AP holders I haven't seen anything. If they are, I sure would like to know and change my resort price.

DME was never about our convenience. It was about keeping us on property. If they made it easy AND free to get from MCO to WDW, we wouldn’t bother renting a car. If we didn’t rent a car, we didn’t go offsite to eat, shop, play and spent all our money at Disney. It benefits them way more than us. I have no doubt this is temporary.

35% discount for free dining guests in 2020, once the dining plans were removed.
And that is just exchanging one discount for another. AND that 35% is probably costing them less than the Free Dining discount. I know in my case free DDP was worth way more than the 35% off I got. I don’t think I am the exception either.

Poster I quoted asked about discounts other than 40% So holder. I responded with the discount many people got to use. That's it. Just an answer to a question.

I understand. My point is to agree with that poster. Disney has not really issued any further discounts at this times do I get that. They don’t want to encourage visits yet.

Not much, if at all. More airlines don't participate, standard scheduling gets you to the airport about two hours before departure, https://www.mccarran.com/Travel/CheckingIn
The airlines which fly most domestic passengers participate. Southwest, Jetblue,Delta,United,
I understand. My point is to agree with that poster. Disney has not really issued any further discounts at this times do I get that. They don’t want to encourage visits yet.
40% vs rack rate? Probably makes sense if at least one member of a group purchased an AP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!