No More DME Baggage Delivery To Resorts

From screen name are you a Hoosier? Southwest is cutting flight experiences from Indianapolis if you are. I currently have 4 flights from Indy that have been changed (to Houston, from Phoenix to Indy and to/from MCO). Of course we will cancel if things are still bad there! But I’ve had to rebook as canceled and these have been 3 months prior to flights. Also SW currently has no drink service- you get a bag of snacks and a cup of water (that was current as of 7/5 flight my son took to Indy from Houston).

Things are crazy now- flight changes, rebooking flights, rebooking cruises, rebooking or canceling Disney trips and countless other trips.

Enjoy your trip if you are going to Disney!

Cutting flights or cutting flight services? The PP was talking about services (the post that the PP quoted talked about airlines stopping meal/drink services and charging for luggage. It sounds like you are talking about canceling flights.

If the extra couple hundred of dollars (if that much) that you would now need to spend for luggage delivery/pick up service is your breaking point, so be it. Saying it's "difficult" to manage luggage either arriving or departing makes no sense. OK, yes, it's more work. But what are you doing at your home airport? You need to get it from your transportation to the airline, then pick it up from baggage claim when you return... the same as you would at MCO.

Get a towncar (many will meet you at baggage claim and help with your luggage).
Pay a porter to help with your luggage

I'm guessing luggage delivery/pickup will return when things get back to "normal". It was a big selling point and helps keep people in the "bubble". Disney didn't start DME out of the kindness of their hearts. They want to give people a reason to not need a rental car and limit them to Disney transportation.

As far as a discount for the dropped services... how much should they discount? Aren't they offering huge (I think some have said 40%) discounts for people to travel now? Wouldn't that make up for no DME.

I hope this is temporary!!!! This was definitely a feature that helped me decide to stay on property vs. off property! I've been an out-of-state passholder several years now (very grateful I did not renew in Feb 2020!) - and this was a huge positive feature for me. That ability to get on plane in the morning - land at MCO - ride MDE to resort and hop on a park bus - and not having to worry about my luggage until I got to my resort that evening was a hugely positive part of the experience. Dealing with my own luggage - that's easier the loss of 1-2 hours of time between having to wait to get it off the belt, haul it to the bus, wait for them to load it, wait for them to unload it as each resort stop, and wait at bell services to check it (or haul it to my room if my room was ready). My time is money on vacation - and that service gave me more time - and it was relief to not have to haul my own bag!

If the extra couple hundred of dollars (if that much) that you would now need to spend for luggage delivery/pick up service is your breaking point, so be it. Saying it's "difficult" to manage luggage either arriving or departing makes no sense. OK, yes, it's more work. But what are you doing at your home airport? You need to get it from your transportation to the airline, then pick it up from baggage claim when you return... the same as you would at MCO.

Get a towncar (many will meet you at baggage claim and help with your luggage).
Pay a porter to help with your luggage

I'm guessing luggage delivery/pickup will return when things get back to "normal". It was a big selling point and helps keep people in the "bubble". Disney didn't start DME out of the kindness of their hearts. They want to give people a reason to not need a rental car and limit them to Disney transportation.

As far as a discount for the dropped services... how much should they discount? Aren't they offering huge (I think some have said 40%) discounts for people to travel now? Wouldn't that make up for no DME.
My trip isn’t until 12/18 so I am hoping that rona calms down a bit and services return. It’s understandable that some put less of a value on some services than others. We highly valued the DDP, not because of its real value, but because it was convenient. This is the same with the DME and FP. If you have a differing opinion, that’s fine. Again, there are obviously some die-hard Disney defenders on the board, but raising concerns about a continued loss of services shouldn’t warrant the belittling of those issues. We can all make the grandfather argument: “When I was young, I walked to school in the snow, uphill both ways. Are the new changes impossible, no. Inconvenient, yes.

For DVC members, there is no discount on the dues we pay because of this (at least not yet), this is just a cut of a service.

RAC is also unavailable.

Beginning July 16, 2020 Disney’s Magical Express service will not be providing luggage delivery service for those arriving to and departing from the airport.

Guests who choose to use Disney’s Magical Express service will be responsible for picking up any of their checked luggage from the airport’s baggage claim area, so that it can be loaded onto the motorcoach to their Disney Resort hotel. Please know that your luggage will travel with you to your Disney Resort hotel.

Luggage assistance will be available at the front of your Disney Resort hotel, including luggage storage and/or transport to the room.

Upon your departure, please ensure your luggage is with you and is loaded onto the motorcoach, so you can check it in with your airline once you reach the airport. The resort airline check-in service will not be offered at this time.
Thanks for clarifying. That's a new change then - previous communications were that RAC would re-open once more resorts open. Bummer that's no longer the case.

How would you travel to a non-WDW location?
I'm not sure that's a fair argument for those who have concerns about luggage handling due to disabilities, little kids, elderly, etc. Many people come from small airports, or don't travel frequently, or some choose to vacation only at WDW. This is because WDW would make everything so easy. They are known for accommodating to families, disabilities, and even those with food allergies. One part of this was not having to maneuver your luggage upon arrival in a large airport. But now, people are on their own and it may be prohibitive or at least anxiety inducing for some travelers. When these people are departing, there is curbside check-in or maybe family there to assist so the challenge will now be how to handle it when they arrive.

Sept visit planned
In light of this announcement, I have 2 questions:

1. What would you recommend for alternate transportation from MCO to WDW resort? We are a family traveling with 1 checked bag each, so large trunk or SUV needed. (This would be our first time using anything other than DME, so total newbies to this)

2. Our flight home doesn't depart until 7pm. After we check out of AKV we planned to use RAC and just hang out at our resort until it was time to get on DME. I'm hoping we can just leave large luggage with Bell Sevices until we have to go? or has that been eliminated too and we will be rollling our luggage to our lounge chairs by the pool. :crazy:

Sept visit planned
In light of this announcement, I have 2 questions:

1. What would you recommend for alternate transportation from MCO to WDW resort? We are a family traveling with 1 checked bag each, so large trunk or SUV needed. (This would be our first time using anything other than DME, so total newbies to this)

2. Our flight home doesn't depart until 7pm. After we check out of AKV we planned to use RAC and just hang out at our resort until it was time to get on DME. I'm hoping we can just leave large luggage with Bell Sevices until we have to go? or has that been eliminated too and we will be rollling our luggage to our lounge chairs by the pool. :crazy:

Bell services is still open, you can leave bags there.

You could do Lyft or Uber XL, but I have found pricing for the XL vehicles to be mostly on par with car services you can arrange. We like Tony Hinds - him and his drivers use private 12 passenger vans and will meet you in baggage claim and assist with luggage. They park very close to baggage claim and its very quick getting out of the airport once you're loaded up. We've opted to use them in lieu of DME in the past, just to get there faster. Email aobh607@gmail.com or call/text 407 406 9093

Cutting flights or cutting flight services? The PP was talking about services (the post that the PP quoted talked about airlines stopping meal/drink services and charging for luggage. It sounds like you are talking about canceling flights.

They literally said drink service got changed lol

My trip isn’t until 12/18 so I am hoping that rona calms down a bit and services return. It’s understandable that some put less of a value on some services than others. We highly valued the DDP, not because of its real value, but because it was convenient. This is the same with the DME and FP. If you have a differing opinion, that’s fine. Again, there are obviously some die-hard Disney defenders on the board, but raising concerns about a continued loss of services shouldn’t warrant the belittling of those issues. We can all make the grandfather argument: “When I was young, I walked to school in the snow, uphill both ways. Are the new changes impossible, no. Inconvenient, yes.
As I said in the first sentence of the post you quoted, if not having luggage pick up/delivery service is enough to get you to cancel your vacation, that's fine. Everyone has their line in the sand. Obviously I have the power to express my viewpoint that that seems a strange, minor item to draw a line over. YMMV

Transportation services are required to have services in both the A and B side of the terminal. Disney was given an exception for DME. Guests are now responsible for their bags, both ways. JMO DME should be required to pick up and drop off on both the A and B side of MCO.

I generally fly SW. I wouldn't use DME if I have to handle luggage. I'm more likely to consider S/D or another non Disney hotel.

My understanding is part of Bags compensation was being contracted to provide valet and bell services.

You could do Lyft or Uber XL, but I have found pricing for the XL vehicles to be mostly on par with car services you can arrange. We like Tony Hinds - him and his drivers use private 12 passenger vans and will meet you in baggage claim and assist with luggage. They park very close to baggage claim and its very quick getting out of the airport once you're loaded up. We've opted to use them in lieu of DME in the past, just to get there faster. Email aobh607@gmail.com or call/text 407 406 9093
Thx so much! This is useful information! I appreciate your posting

some die-hard Disney defenders
Actual definition of 'die-hard Disney defender': realist :)
but raising concerns about a continued loss of services
What information do you have that this is an actual loss, and not a temporary change?
I'm not sure that's a fair argument for those who have concerns about luggage handling due to disabilities, little kids, elderly, etc
Disabled and elderly here, and don't travel just to Disney. You make it work. You plan ahead. You budget (if needed) for tips for assistance.
I generally fly SW. I wouldn't use DME if I have to handle luggage. I'm more likely to consider S/D or another non Disney hotel.
Not a bad idea. Somebody posted somewhere yesterday about getting a room at one of the other for $123 per night!
My understanding is part of Bags compensation was being contracted to provide valet and bell services.
Valet how? Valet handles cars, not luggage, other than possibly removing luggage from car.

Valet how? Valet handles cars, not luggage, other than possibly removing luggage from car.
Bags has expanded. Hotels can contract with them, outsourced, for valet and bell services. Rumor is RAC was either thrown in, or at least discounted, when Disney contracted with Bags for other services. Bundling.

Actual definition of 'die-hard Disney defender': realist :)

What information do you have that this is an actual loss, and not a temporary change?

Disabled and elderly here, and don't travel just to Disney. You make it work. You plan ahead. You budget (if needed) for tips for assistance.

Not a bad idea. Somebody posted somewhere yesterday about getting a room at one of the other for $123 per night!

Thank you for validating my point. By your logic, I am unrealistic in my expectations.

Again, we all get that you are very prepared, realistic, and always have plenty of money. We all strive to be this good.

I don’t have proof that the change isn’t temporary. Is a temporary change not a actual loss of service if it occurs during your stay? If I travel in December and they aren’t offering the service, that’s a loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter