No free dining again?

And they increased the room rates at DL to ridiculously high rates during the reservation period.
Perhaps DL reached its tipping point. We've discussed this a number of times at WDW. Interesting to see how GE shakes out. If still a slow summer and slow(ish) fall for WDW resorts, at the very least limited/targeted FD will continue into 2020. Possibly other offers and enticements next year as well.

Perhaps DL reached its tipping point. We've discussed this a number of times at WDW. Interesting to see how GE shakes out. If still a slow summer and slow(ish) fall for WDW resorts, at the very least limited/targeted FD will continue into 2020. Possibly other offers and enticements next year as well.
Hoping so! Just booked our first WDW trip for October 2020.

Pete’s wrong here.

Free dining is a marketing tool that catches eyes and garners attention.

Will it ever be a value like in the past? No.

Will “free dining” still live on in advertisements s and marketing? Yes.

The hoops and loops you’ll have to jump to will only be extended and pretty much even out to not getting a value once you get it though.

I totally agree with this. WDW is addicted to special offers and FD is one of the more popular ones even as the value has declined over the last few years.

something to remember is free dining is offe4rd as an incentive to fill empty rooms by booking a reservation hoping for free dining or any other discount you are taking a room thus not making it ineligible for free dining. If you can't go to WDW without free dining or a discount don't book a room when they come out.

I do have to wonder what's going on. I know on yesterday's show, they thought that Disney may be regretting their actions with fall discounts, and maybe that's so. Still, I am going in January for Marathon and while I know the race draws a crowd and changes rates, I couldn't get anything at CSR, I could only get a preferred room at CBR, and now when I look online, a King room is the only thing left at CBR. I haven't really gotten into looking around what's open at other resorts, but considering I've always seen plenty of spots open at those resorts in the past, something is up. Sure, the Skyliner could be impacting some of it with CBR, but Pop has plenty of options, so maybe not. I couldn't care less about free dining as the DDP never saves me $, but I'm thinking my chances for a room discount are pretty low.

I know it's doesn't affect overall availability, or the other resorts, but maybe they have some huge convention(s) at CSR? Or maybe some of the runners are staying there, instead of values? Or maybe I'm just talkin' crazytalk? :o

In the latest podcast, Pete (I believe) made mention of no free dining again, unless a recession. I assume he means EVER and not just this season? Am I correct? If so, what are others thoughts on this...

I also noted on the last podcast that he mentioned there may be some discount packages, one possibly being FD, released in next 10 days or so (Mid July) due to the resorts not filling up and having lots of availability for the fall.

Anyone want to tell me how to find that resort availability outside of $2k+/night at WL cabins....?
I am not seeing this availability for the fall thru Disney, TAs, or anywhere else.

I thought they mentioned that today would likely be the day where free dining could be offered.

The free dining promotion dropped in January for limited fall dates rather than the traditional late Spring release. News that the UK has now received free dining offer for 2020. The UK market is completely different than the North American one but still a positive sign that free dining hasn't died. Doubtful that free dining has completely dried up for 2020. However, like this year, any offers will be 'flash offers' and fall dates even more limited than past years. If you are really interested in free dining next year, you need to make a point to monitor the Boards esp in January and also a handful of other WDW news sites to grab the promotion when it first pops up.
Yep, we are from UK and free dining for 2020 went live with us in april I think. AKL and free dining thank you very much!

When we talk about fall is Pete considering September fall? They offered free dining back in January. I discovered a few days too late that the discount had come out, and BLT had all available FD bookings taken already, but managed to get a room "fun and sun" discount for 15% of the cash rate. Both of these discounts were available for all of September and after the opening of GE. To me it seems like Disney was super worried about a weak fall season to offer both those discounts so early in the year. I'm also wondering if they do offer any discounts they will include September or "we already got what we're getting".

When we talk about fall is Pete considering September fall? They offered free dining back in January. I discovered a few days too late that the discount had come out, and BLT had all available FD bookings taken already, but managed to get a room "fun and sun" discount for 15% of the cash rate. Both of these discounts were available for all of September and after the opening of GE. To me it seems like Disney was super worried about a weak fall season to offer both those discounts so early in the year. I'm also wondering if they do offer any discounts they will include September or "we already got what we're getting".

I was able to get free dining at YC for 8/30-9/8 with that promotion, a couple of days after I booked my 180 day ADRs the SWGE announcement came out and almost overnight the FD rooms were gone-booked or pulled I'm not sure. They still had some of the discounted rooms, we wanted to add a day on the end of our stay and had to call to get it added.

I think because of that offer being when it was that even Disney was not planning on opening SWGE as early as they are. I don't think we will see anything extra for September, maybe later fall, but that's just my opinion.

As a FL Annual pass holder is way better deal to stay offsite on a free parking hotel/resort/vacation home( for about half of Disney prices) and paid out of pocket for meals, and (when available) get AP discounts. Disney prices are ridiculous, right now with AP discount a Disney Value it’s $200 with parking fees, the math don’t lie. Only people who can’t stand the thought of staying offsite and are not interested in AP are the ones who really get the bang from Free dining.

As a FL Annual pass holder is way better deal to stay offsite on a free parking hotel/resort/vacation home( for about half of Disney prices) and paid out of pocket for meals, and (when available) get AP discounts. Disney prices are ridiculous, right now with AP discount a Disney Value it’s $200 with parking fees, the math don’t lie. Only people who can’t stand the thought of staying offsite and are not interested in AP are the ones who really get the bang from Free dining.
We are totally these people. Travelling from UK it's pointless us having AP ( I wish we could come enough to warrant it!) And I've never driven abroad before and have no special urge to start now. (Plus I don't want to miss a Mexico margarita but def wouldn't drive after one)
I think so many people are smarter than we are and probably save a lot of money but sometimes not being stressed on holiday is worth a bit more money 😊 just my thought.
As a side note from UK the value resorts are available with flights and breakfast dining for 2 weeks for approx £1200 / £1300 Pp so I think in some cases we maybe given a better deal. I don't know. I heard pete w day the GF was costing him $750 a night. We pay per person but 2 weeks at the grand with free dining only comes out at around £4200 PP for 2 weeks last time I checked. But we don't get any of the reductions you guys get eg 30% off room

We are totally these people. Travelling from UK it's pointless us having AP ( I wish we could come enough to warrant it!) And I've never driven abroad before and have no special urge to start now. (Plus I don't want to miss a Mexico margarita but def wouldn't drive after one)
I think so many people are smarter than we are and probably save a lot of money but sometimes not being stressed on holiday is worth a bit more money 😊 just my thought.
As a side note from UK the value resorts are available with flights and breakfast dining for 2 weeks for approx £1200 / £1300 Pp so I think in some cases we maybe given a better deal. I don't know. I heard pete w day the GF was costing him $750 a night. We pay per person but 2 weeks at the grand with free dining only comes out at around £4200 PP for 2 weeks last time I checked. But we don't get any of the reductions you guys get eg 30% off room
Perfect example and you are right choosing Disney property, you do take full advantage of their perks, for all the right reasons.

Free dining for me is what makes the difference between staying on Disney property or offsite.

Chiming in! As others have mentioned in Ep. #1039 of the DISUnplugged, Pete claimed that Free Dining might make a return in the next few days (Monday July 8th to be exact, but any time up until July 16th was forecasted) as a result of the wide-open availability through fall 2019. It makes sense -- light crowds are estimated everywhere but HS, so I'm sure they'll make a last ditch effort in increasing attendance. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of booking a stay for this November! 🏰

Since I've never booked FD...is there a way to know right away if it is released other than stalking the site?

*If* it is released, do you have to wait until then in order to cash in on the promotion (or can you book ahead and claim the promo afterwards)?

Chiming in! As others have mentioned in Ep. #1039 of the DISUnplugged, Pete claimed that Free Dining might make a return in the next few days (Monday July 8th to be exact, but any time up until July 16th was forecasted) as a result of the wide-open availability through fall 2019. It makes sense -- light crowds are estimated everywhere but HS, so I'm sure they'll make a last ditch effort in increasing attendance. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of booking a stay for this November! 🏰

Since I've never booked FD...is there a way to know right away if it is released other than stalking the site?

*If* it is released, do you have to wait until then in order to cash in on the promotion (or can you book ahead and claim the promo afterwards)?
You can certainly book ahead and if you book with Dreams Unlimited, they'll help you get FD if it is released.
However, understand the premise of them releasing FD... that they'll do it because occupancy is low.
If people begin booking in anticipation of FD, they may see that there are reservations and have no need to release it.
It's a vicious cycle.

Booking ahead of time doesn’t give you any advantage to getting the promo if / when it’s released. Unfortunately it’s not as easy as applying a promo to the existing reservation...you basically have to make a new reservation from the (typically limited) inventory that is released for the promo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!