No Carsland Announcement today at "Around Our World"

Personally, I think avatar is a great fit for DA K because the movie is about conservation and DAK has a heavy conservation theme. I think the beautiful glowing plants of Avatar land would make an excellent night time walkthrough setting at that park and DAK needs evening entertainment. The park has two daytime trails and Avatarland could be the evening trail.

I am also in support of Carsland in WDW, especially now that they have ruined..um refurbished, TestTrack.

I think attractions are better when imagineers are not bound by a movie. Expedition Everest is amazing. Harambe Is too. It's better when they have no restrictions in my opinion.

That's a general rule of thumb. If the Avatar attractions are great so B it. I just think most people would prefer something original or at the least something Disney. Myself included

Personally, I think avatar is a great fit for DA K because the movie is about conservation and DAK has a heavy conservation theme. I think the beautiful glowing plants of Avatar land would make an excellent night time walkthrough setting at that park and DAK needs evening entertainment. The park has two daytime trails and Avatarland could be the evening trail.

I am also in support of Carsland in WDW, especially now that they have ruined..um refurbished, TestTrack.

We liked the new test track just fine. It'll have the same longevity as the first one, which was also just fine, IMO.

I agree with your opinions on Avatar but just can't understand anyone wanting redo's over NEW???

Avatarland > Camp Minnie-Mickey > Large vast empty lot north of Kali/Everest.

Just saying
~I love this post! :goodvibes

Wow - how'd I miss this thread for so long!

I am not going to step into the fray, except to say that it is nice to see some pro-Avatarland support. I think the point is often missed in the argument that a great ride/experience can really come from anything at all. The example I always use is Splash Mountain - a fantastic ride made from a movie most people under 40 have never even seen.

Avatar has interesting (alien) environments and creatures from which to build an exciting ride. If allowed to do it right - and based on recent Carsland and FLE that seems to be the trend - Imagineers can make something great out of it.

Back on the main topic: as far as the Carsland argument goes - in concept I like the idea of DLR and WDW being different, but the fact is that the cross-over between the two is probably fairly limited. (My guess would be < 10 % of guests at WDW have been to DL more than once in the last ten years, and vice versa.)

Our family recently took our first trip to DLR this past summer. We enjoyed it very much, and would recommend it to any Disney fan to try at least once. However, I didn't think it was "better" or "worse" than WDW, just different. In general, I would say we will rarely go back there, though. More even because its so much harder to go to California than Florida, plus more expensive.

As far as Carsland - I am all for the duplication. RSR is an absolutely amazing ride, probably the best new ride to come out in the last 15 years. Something that good should be available to east coast residences (not to mention Europeans that are really unlikely to travel to the west coast for Disney). Having ridden it in California, I would love to see it in Florida.

I find the duplication of a more pedestrian ride like The Little Mermaid to be more disappointing. This ride is nice, but just a plain old dark ride. Why not one coast get Ariel while the other get - I don't know - Rapunzel. You can't be saving a TON of money duplicating this ride, right?

But, in the end, be it Avatarland, Carsland, Star Wars land, what I really care about (and you ALL should) is increased content in the parks. I want to see more/new stuff in Florida, and I'll take whatever they come up with. Even if I don't love it, if it spreads the crowds a little thinner, that's a good thing!

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.
~As usual, great post! However, the highlighted aspects are of concern to me. This is kind of like saying, WDW is incapable of creating a new ride just as good as RSR & certainly not better & that's sad. I think Disney should continue to strive for excellence through new creations, not duplication. With that said, if Carsland is the best WDW can do -- of course, I'll take it. It's better than nothing at all. :( :goodvibes

Yup. Because Walt's presence is felt all over DL.

See, that's funny. I'm not denying that you feel that way, or that many others do, but I didn't feel that much at all. Or at least, I felt Walt Disney's "touch", but I feel that in Magic Kingdom too.

But feeling his "presence", only once, when we were in the Tiki Room. Being one of my favorite childhood attractions, sitting there watching the show I thought something I never had before: "That show from my childhood I love so much, Walt Disney never even saw that show. THIS was the one he was so proud of and loved to show off to his special guests. He stood right here in this room!"

Other than that, I never much thought about Walt being in the park as I walked around. In fact, it was one thing I was a little dissapointed in. It will be interesting to see if the feelings are different when we go back this summer for the Backstage Magic tour.

~As usual, great post! However, the highlighted aspects are of concern to me. This is kind of like saying, WDW is incapable of creating a new ride just as good as RSR & certainly not better & that's sad. I think Disney should continue to strive for excellence through new creations, not duplication. With that said, if Carsland is the best WDW can do -- of course, I'll take it. It's better than nothing at all. :( :goodvibes

Thank you for your kind words!

But I don't think that's what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that the Imagineers made such a great ride, it should be "shared" with the millions that never get to visit Disneyland. Moreso than a Toy Story Mania, or Under the Sea with the little mermaid. I'm not saying they can't come up with something else great as well. (Which hopefully they do if Avatarland goes forward.)

In fact, what I would root for them to do different in Carsland in Florida would be the "other" rides. Keep Luigi's and Mater's rides in California, and make the C ticket rides in Orlando different. I think this is unlikely to happen, but everybody has a dream, right?

See, that's funny. I'm not denying that you feel that way, or that many others do, but I didn't feel that much at all. Or at least, I felt Walt Disney's "touch", but I feel that in Magic Kingdom

You "feel it" at magic kingdom? See, I find it funny too ... that you've basically admitted you're "in love" with corporate Disney rather than the dream Walt gave to all of us. Walt had virtually nothing to do with Florida, died before it opened and NEVER wanted to recreate DL. He was all about the real EPCOT and was voted down by corporate Disney. Funny, no?

You "feel it" at magic kingdom? See, I find it funny too ... that you've basically admitted you're "in love" with corporate Disney rather than the dream Walt gave to all of us. Walt had virtually nothing to do with Florida, died before it opened and NEVER wanted to recreate DL. He was all about the real EPCOT and was voted down by corporate Disney. Funny, no?

I find that a little insulting. Just because I didn't "sense Walt's presence" doesn't mean I can't appreciate his influences. But his influences are ALL OVER Magic Kingdom.

While WDW did not come out the way Walt envisioned, everything I've indicated he was planning on starting with a theme park, and then using the income from that to establish his "city of the future" in Epcot as a Phase II, though this WAS the part that interested him more. Walt had some initial input on the concepts for the park, and Roy and company wanted to honor those concepts. Much is really a mimic of DL, of course, but with improvements, again many of which came from Walt. (The Utilidors for example, which Walt couldn't stand that the CM would be visible in other lands of the park.)

Understand that once Walt died, the company was no longer as financially stable as it had been in the fifties/sixties. The seventies/eighties were a scary time, with the theatrical movies mostly being not the moneymakers they were under Walt. There was no way they were going to invest in a "City of the Future". I think what they came up with is a wonderful park that has since been poorly maintained/updated.

And there's a lot of DisneyLand that's not directly of Walt's Vision...BTMRR, Splash Mountain, Indiand Jones, Winnie the Pooh, Star Tours, Toon Town, even Haunted Mansion was really completed without Walt's over-riding vision.

Anyways, nothing personal. We can agree to disagree. The man is a visionary that nearly 50 years after his death has the influence to have his company continue to make the arguably the best theme parks in the world.

I find that a little insulting. Just because I didn't "sense Walt's presence" doesn't mean I can't appreciate his influences. But his influences are ALL OVER Magic Kingdom.

While WDW did not come out the way Walt envisioned, everything I've indicated he was planning on starting with a theme park, and then using the income from that to establish his "city of the future" in Epcot as a Phase II, though this WAS the part that interested him more. Walt had some initial input on the concepts for the park, and Roy and company wanted to honor those concepts. Much is really a mimic of DL, of course, but with improvements, again many of which came from Walt. (The Utilidors for example, which Walt couldn't stand that the CM would be visible in other lands of the park.)

Understand that once Walt died, the company was no longer as financially stable as it had been in the fifties/sixties. The seventies/eighties were a scary time, with the theatrical movies mostly being not the moneymakers they were under Walt. There was no way they were going to invest in a "City of the Future". I think what they came up with is a wonderful park that has since been poorly maintained/updated.

And there's a lot of DisneyLand that's not directly of Walt's Vision...BTMRR, Splash Mountain, Indiand Jones, Winnie the Pooh, Star Tours, Toon Town, even Haunted Mansion was really completed without Walt's over-riding vision.

Anyways, nothing personal. We can agree to disagree. The man is a visionary that nearly 50 years after his death has the influence to have his company continue to make the arguably the best theme parks in the world.

Sorry for the insulting tone. I get ahead of myself when typing, which I don't do well and ignore tone often. It was unintended.

Thank you for your kind words!

But I don't think that's what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that the Imagineers made such a great ride, it should be "shared" with the millions that never get to visit Disneyland. Moreso than a Toy Story Mania, or Under the Sea with the little mermaid. I'm not saying they can't come up with something else great as well. (Which hopefully they do if Avatarland goes forward.)

In fact, what I would root for them to do different in Carsland in Florida would be the "other" rides. Keep Luigi's and Mater's rides in California, and make the C ticket rides in Orlando different. I think this is unlikely to happen, but
everybody has a dream, right?
~I just don't like the way Ariel looks, it's like whoever designed the ride despises her or something because on the video she looks awful and I'm not even talking about the weird cartoon when Ariel gets legs. I hope it looks different in person. :goodvibes

Anyway, Carsland must be really fabulous! I'm going to have to make a trip to see it! Disney just announced plans to release a new Pixar film called "Planes" in August 2013! DHS might get "Planesland" instead of Carsland. I'm just kidding - about "Planesland" but the movie is real! :goodvibes --->
~Disney's Planes~ :goodvibes

Sorry for the insulting tone. I get ahead of myself when typing, which I don't do well and ignore tone often. It was unintended.

Apology accepted. Now lets go out for a virtual beer. :drinking1

~Awww, this is so sweet! You both are class acts! We don't have to agree on everything! We all share one commonality -- the fruition Avatarland! And not because, we love the movie so much but because we understand & value the spirit of creativity & innovation for the theme park experience! :goodvibes

~Hey, don't forget about me... I need a drink, too! I'll have a virtual Cosmopolitan, or two. :drinking1

~This totally reminds me of the Avengers! The pro-Avatarland group may be small in number here, but we are fierce! :grouphug: :rotfl:

14mb8t1.jpg
95zp8y.jpg

~Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

~Mediocre minds usually dismiss anything which reaches beyond their own understanding. - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

There are a lot more people who support avatar than you think. Remember protesters are always the loudest.

There are a lot more people who support avatar than you think. Remember protesters are always the loudest.

Count me in on the Protesters. But, I am not anti Avatar, I am anti location. Expand Studios with Carsland and Avatar. Someone on one of the Avatar rumor posts suggested that that land should be used for an Australia land - how great would that be?

Good comments, Pete. I agree / disagree:

• Is true Disney did not have the financial power once the two brothers died.
  • The new Management (Card Walker et al) were not creative guys and had no idea how to move the company forward. As has been documented in many books they said: "What Would Walt Do?". Well, Walt liked to think out of the box - not do the same thing twice!
  • I agree the company was dying at the box-office in the 70's / 80's. While the industry was revitalized by a number of ground-breaking releases. Disney chose to make: Herbie Rides Again, Herbie Go's to Monte Carlo and Herbie Go's Banana's. Their one critical success, Splash, was almost rejected by management as too risque.
  • Walt bought all that Florida land so that he was not surrounded by hotels/restaurants as he was in Anaheim. What happened? It took 10 years for the company to build a new hotel on their property.
  • As dumb as management was at that time, even the creative people tried to talk Walt out of his version of Epcot. It was a personal social experiment and not a money generating tool. No corporations (though they were approached) were willing to sign-on. Only Walt would have had the power to get it built.
  • Even though Eisner turned in to Napoleon in the last 10 years of his reign, you have got to thank him for all of the expansion in Orlando. All the resorts, DVC, DTD expansion, Studio's, AK, etc. Simply put, he developed the creative model that will guide the company for years to come.
  • I agree fully that Epcot has been poorly maintained/updated. After visiting there last week I was almost disgusted. Other then Soarin', what have they done? Test Track? Chevy paid the freight for that!

Count me in on the Protesters. But, I am not anti Avatar, I am anti location. Expand Studios with Carsland and Avatar. Someone on one of the Avatar rumor posts suggested that that land should be used for an Australia land - how great would that be?
]

I would prefer it. Heres what I would have

1. Log flume
2. Steak/seafood sit down
3. Eucalyptus forest walk thru with tree kangaroos, kookaburas, and koalas
4. sea lion pool

~I just don't like the way Ariel looks, it's like whoever designed the ride despises her or something because on the video she looks awful and I'm not even talking about the weird cartoon when Ariel gets legs. I hope it looks different in person. :goodvibes

Anyway, Carsland must be really fabulous! I'm going to have to make a trip to see it! Disney just announced plans to release a new Pixar film called "Planes" in August 2013! DHS might get "Planesland" instead of Carsland. I'm just kidding - about "Planesland" but the movie is real! :goodvibes --->
~Disney's Planes~ :goodvibes

Ugh, while I am one of the few adults that actually liked Cars and was sort of OK with Cars 2, Planes is a DTV cash-grab that they are making an extra cash-grab on by releasing it to theatres. Ugh...no Planesland!

~Awww, this is so sweet! You both are class acts! We don't have to agree on everything! We all share one commonality -- the fruition Avatarland! And not because, we love the movie so much but because we understand & value the spirit of creativity & innovation for the theme park experience! :goodvibes

~Hey, don't forget about me... I need a drink, too! I'll have a virtual Cosmopolitan, or two. :drinking1

~This totally reminds me of the Avengers! The pro-Avatarland group may be small in number here, but we are fierce! :grouphug: :rotfl:

14mb8t1.jpg
95zp8y.jpg

Oh awesome! I'm CAP! I just noticed this. You are of course welcome to join us for a drink, even if it is a Cosmo. Especially if you're wearing that outfit. ;) :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter