Nine weeks later...we just need a REDO! A January 2013 PTR

TWO 2 DAYS to GO!

Actually I can do my countdown in hours now as well. So if things go as planned right now, we'll be on the road to Florida in about 53 hours! It might be closer to 51 or 52 hours. It's going to depend on the weather and how much I can get done this week.

As I put in my last post, I decided to head upstairs to the kids' rooms yesterday to start packing them while they were two floors down playing in the basement. My daughter is seriously lacking in pants...which baffles me because I could SWEAR she had more clothing! However I'm trying to mostly pack jeans for most of our park days, and some comfy clothing (like sweats) for the drive days. So I need about 4 pairs of jeans, plus have to leave them clothing for today and tomorrow AND make sure they have some comfy clothes for Thursday. Not exactly easy! :confused3

I finished most of my youngest son's clothing and have that set aside in my closet. As I was painfully going through my daughters stuff (ugh) and trying to find clothing for her I heard her coming up the stairs so I SPRINTED down the hall to my bedroom with a bunch of her clothing in my hands...and threw it in my closet! :rotfl: I still says she is suspicious. Even yesterday as I then had her come upstairs and put away her clean clothing and she kept muttering "I KNOW we are going to Disney MOM!" but I'm not sure if you knows when! She couldn't understand why I insisted she put away her clean clothes and bring down her basket of dirty clothes to be washed. HELLO? she had nearly NO pants for this week and the temps are in the 20s for the rest of the week here...for the HIGH! ;)

Anyway I have probably 75% of the kids' clothing ready to be packed. I'll need to get the rest sometime this week. My daughter has basketball practice tonight so I may have to send my husband with her so I can finish packing. The boys will stay downstairs oblivious but with her...she would want to know what I was doing. :rotfl:

That may not quite work out since I should probably give my husband a rest this evening. He had a really BAD day in terms of medical situations yesterday. He's at work today thankfully, but he got very lucky. Just as I was doing one of my trip reports yesterday, he came downstairs. He had been up in our bedroom folding laundry and watching tv when his eyes starting itching and then he felt like he was having an allergic reaction to something. Eventually it was getting worse so he came down for some benadryl (which I ALWAYS have on hand because we have kids with allergies...though most are mild and rare) and that's when I noticed his face was starting to swell on one side. He took two benadryl and then I made him sit downstairs so I could observe him. Unfortunately he started getting worse, his throat was closing more and he was having a hard time speaking. That's when I decided it was best to go wait this out at the local emergency room! :worried:

Thankfully we live very close to a hospital so I had the kids get ready and we rushed out the door. I called my husband's parents, who live within 5 miles of our house, and made plans to drop the kids off with them on the way but then decided I didn't even want to take the time to go out of my way for that 10 minutes! I flew to the E/R as my husband started complaining he was having a hard time seeing! We walked in and had to get him registered and despite the fact that I told them he was having a hard time breathing...we still waited a good 30 minutes in the waiting room to be triaged! I guess if he had passed out due to lack of air they would have helped. I just felt better having him THERE and not at home! ::yes::

I called the in-laws who picked up the kids at the E/R waiting room and I told them all to make sure they washed their hands VERY GOOD! After all, we walked into a fairly busy waiting room full of people who mostly looked like they were death warmed over, so I suspect most were there for flu-like symptoms and I really don't need to have us all exposed to that a few days before VACATION! I didn't even BREATHE as we walked back out through that waiting room several hours later. :wave2:

Anyway, as it turns out my husband had eaten a protein bar at home while he was upstairs. It was one he purchased a few months ago to eat on a cross-country flight...but he had never eaten it. How THANKFUL he was that he did not eat that while in flight now! He's never had one before and has never had a severe allergic reaction like this one, but it was classified by the docs at the hospital as anaphylactic so that means he is now the proud new owner of an epi-pen for the first time! It was quite scary for everybody and knowing that my husband does a lot of travel to foreign countries where he eats things that he has not had before....it's an obvious concern now. He will now carry benadryl and/or that pen with him as often as possible, especially if he knows he is going somewhere he might eat something different. ::yes::

So that was the end of my nice 3-day weekend. What started out fun, with dinner out on Friday, a movie day on Saturday with my oldest, and a fun playoff party at our home on Sunday where we watched our local Ravens clinch a Superbowl berth...ended on Monday with 4+ hours at the hospital! ;) In any case, I am now really ready for that vacation! :rotfl:

My in-laws are ready to go as well and just this morning I called the place where I rented our scooter to make sure they got my resort change information. They didn't seem to have it so I corrected it. Then they mentioned something to me that I had not noticed. I guess they no longer just drop the scooter off at the resort...they deliver it in person to you and show you how to use it! So I have an estimated arrival time that morning of 8:30am but I know we won't be there that early. I apparently have to call them 20 minutes before we arrive so they can bring it to us at the resort. I will have to keep that number handy! :rotfl:

So that's it from here!

50 HOURS TO GO!
Just remembered one more last minute change. I made this reservation while sitting at the hospital with my husband last night. This is what happens when you are HUNGRY I guess!

Since it's pretty much a given we'll be staying at Saratoga Springs now, my husband could not help to mention the possibility of a meal at the Turf Club. So a little background on that one. When we took our NON-DISNEY trip back in June of 2012, we decided one afternoon while sitting at the pool of our NON-DISNEY resort that we wanted a nice meal. Why we decided on a Disney restaurant I can't recall. So I whipped out my phone and checked the Disney app for availability and found that the Turf Club had an opening. We had never eaten there but I had read good things about it and thus we decided we'd try it out.

We LOVED it! 3 of the 4 adults got the Prime Rib and it was simply FABULOUS! My FIL got the fish which he also loved...but probably not as much as we loved the prime rib. It was probably the best meal of our trip that time, so much that when it came time to plan dining for our Thanksgiving Week trip...we selected the Turf Club once again for our Thanksgiving Day dinner. We were okay with giving up turkey in favor of prime rib.

Well I must say that we were not as happy with our Thanksgiving Day dinner. They changed up the au jus with the prime rib, trying to Thanksgiving-it-up I guess...and it simply did not work well. The meal was good....but just not GREAT! That's twice we've had Thanksgiving Day meals at Disney properties and none of them have wowed us. :confused3

So with one GREAT experience and one not-so-great experience, we have decided for this trip that the third time should be the deciding factor as to whether or not we keep it on our list of Disney restaurant faves. The list is constantly evolving of course as we continue to try new places. Besides, we have to check-in at some point at SSR anyway, we might as well time our check-in at the resort and then head there afterwards for a meal. So that has been added to our Friday itinerary for the trip. Again, we don't HAVE to keep it if we find ourselves in a park and we don't want to leave. However right now my plan is to do MK on Friday and then leave for check-in and then MAYBE head to EPCOT that evening for a few extra magic hours but we can still make that happen if we want to do so. :)

50 HOURS TO GO!
Just remembered one more last minute change. I made this reservation while sitting at the hospital with my husband last night. This is what happens when you are HUNGRY I guess!

Since it's pretty much a given we'll be staying at Saratoga Springs now, my husband could not help to mention the possibility of a meal at the Turf Club. So a little background on that one. When we took our NON-DISNEY trip back in June of 2012, we decided one afternoon while sitting at the pool of our NON-DISNEY resort that we wanted a nice meal. Why we decided on a Disney restaurant I can't recall. So I whipped out my phone and checked the Disney app for availability and found that the Turf Club had an opening. We had never eaten there but I had read good things about it and thus we decided we'd try it out.

We LOVED it! 3 of the 4 adults got the Prime Rib and it was simply FABULOUS! My FIL got the fish which he also loved...but probably not as much as we loved the prime rib. It was probably the best meal of our trip that time, so much that when it came time to plan dining for our Thanksgiving Week trip...we selected the Turf Club once again for our Thanksgiving Day dinner. We were okay with giving up turkey in favor of prime rib.

Well I must say that we were not as happy with our Thanksgiving Day dinner. They changed up the au jus with the prime rib, trying to Thanksgiving-it-up I guess...and it simply did not work well. The meal was good....but just not GREAT! That's twice we've had Thanksgiving Day meals at Disney properties and none of them have wowed us. :confused3

So with one GREAT experience and one not-so-great experience, we have decided for this trip that the third time should be the deciding factor as to whether or not we keep it on our list of Disney restaurant faves. The list is constantly evolving of course as we continue to try new places. Besides, we have to check-in at some point at SSR anyway, we might as well time our check-in at the resort and then head there afterwards for a meal. So that has been added to our Friday itinerary for the trip. Again, we don't HAVE to keep it if we find ourselves in a park and we don't want to leave. However right now my plan is to do MK on Friday and then leave for check-in and then MAYBE head to EPCOT that evening for a few extra magic hours but we can still make that happen if we want to do so. :)

I'm soooo excited for you!!!
It's almost (our) time!!!
I will be VERY interested to hear the outcome of the "third time's the charm...or is it?" visit to Turf Club!
I haven't even started packing...LOL!

Wow, scary story about your husband. Glad it ended happily. :)

Certain of my kids never have clothes for vacations either -- even when I specifically sit them down a couple of weeks before and we figure out what they need and go out and get it, comes time to pack and we're short again. :rolleyes2 We have a bit of an advantage, though, because we stay in condos and so can easily wash stuff while we're there. :laundy: Dunno what I'd do if I didn't have that option. Put up with kids in scruffy and/or dirty clothes, I guess!

Hello again. So, you are packed? I haven't even begun packing...am getting all the laundry washed though. I just don't know what to pack...for warm weather or cold. I think we will bring a few outfits of each...thank goodness for the washer and dryer. I also would love to get into BOG for lunch. We made ADRs for dinner each night and we couldn't decide on one night and I actually had a spot for the 5 of us at 4:15(or so) at BOG for dinner pulled up on the online resie system and DH said 'nah, don't want to eat there'. So I let it go. Then, a couple weeks later DH was reading some stuff on the Dis and he says to me "I really want to try this new Beauty and the Beast place in the new section of MK"....OMG, I wanted to smack him silly. I really should be packing or cleaning or painting my toes. I need to make a Khols run too...I got DD a shirt there last week to wear at Disney and they didn't remove the sensor (why does a $20 shirt need a sensor anyway?). I'll be looking forward to your TR when I get back. We can compare notes. Oh, and glad your DH is ok. Allergic reactions are scary.

tallen429 said:
I'm soooo excited for you!!!
It's almost (our) time!!!
I will be VERY interested to hear the outcome of the "third time's the charm...or is it?" visit to Turf Club!
I haven't even started packing...LOL!

I have just been read the riot act by my DH for my lack of packing. I guess that should make me get my act in gear huh?

I will keep you posted on Turf Club for sure,

I am so excited that WE are so close!!

shalom said:
Wow, scary story about your husband. Glad it ended happily. :)

Certain of my kids never have clothes for vacations either -- even when I specifically sit them down a couple of weeks before and we figure out what they need and go out and get it, comes time to pack and we're short again. :rolleyes2 We have a bit of an advantage, though, because we stay in condos and so can easily wash stuff while we're there. :laundy: Dunno what I'd do if I didn't have that option. Put up with kids in scruffy and/or dirty clothes, I guess!

Yes it was pretty scary. I told him if he wanted alone time with me there are better ways. He was NOT amused.

We have always taken advantage of the washers and dryers as well. Sometimes it is nice to go home with clean laundry. We could never have extended our trip last June if not for having the ability to do laundry, even though nobody enjoys doing laundry on vacation.

lovin'fl said:
Hello again. So, you are packed? I haven't even begun packing...am getting all the laundry washed though. I just don't know what to pack...for warm weather or could. I think we will bring a few outfits of each...thank goodness for the washer and dryer. I also would love to get into BOG for lunch. We made ADRs for dinner each night and we couldn't decide on one night and I actually had a spot for the 5 of us at 4:15(or so) at BOG for dinner pulled up on the online resie system and DH said 'nah, don't want to eat there'. So I let it go. Then, a couple weeks later DH was reading some stuff on the Dis and he says to me "I really want to try this new Beauty and the Beast place in the new section of MK"....OMG, I wanted to smack him silly. I really should be packing or cleaning or painting my toes. I need to make a Khols run too...I got DD a shirt there last week to wear at Disney and they didn't remove the sensor (why does a $20 shirt need a sensor anyway?). I'll be looking forward to your TR when I get back. We can compare notes. Oh, and glad your DH is ok. Allergic reactions are scary.

Hi there! OMG if my DH had pulled that (re:BOG) I would have been livid. Luckily for the most part I don't consult anybody about the ADRs. They just trust me to make all the plans which works for me! I do take requests sometimes though.

Can't wait to compare notes!

Looks like I snuck in just under the wire to wish you an awesome trip! I'm completely jealous! Have a wonderful weekend. I hope everything goes well!

indimom said:
Looks like I snuck in just under the wire to wish you an awesome trip! I'm completely jealous! Have a wonderful weekend. I hope everything goes well!

Thanks. Glad to see you here! I.just read your plans and will comment on them soon but they sound fun. I am all packed and have one kid also packed. Just two more to go.

Weather is NOT looking good. You are smart to get out of here Thursday afternoon. We may be right there with you if Maxwell cancels Friday on Thursday. I am off to clean and pack...looks like you are almost set with all that.

Weather is NOT looking good. You are smart to get out of here Thursday afternoon. We may be right there with you if Maxwell cancels Friday on Thursday. I am off to clean and pack...looks like you are almost set with all that.

Yes I know about the weather. After last week's drama all for nothing....not sure what to expect! :rotfl: I can't imagine they will cancel Friday on Thursday, that's pretty rare. We are always the last to cancel or so it seems.

And all set? HAHAHAHAHAH! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I am on the computer when what I should be doing is a little more packing but with it being a surprise...not sure what I can do.

If school is delayed it is going to mess with our schedule. We may not even send the kids at all since we want to leave early and they would be there late. I may go into work just to do my timesheet and leave and then get home and pack. We would just have to surprise them all together and they would finish helping pack themselves! :)

So I'm in a total holding pattern right now. I just finished playing tennis this evening and I haven't gotten myself motivated yet to do more stuff for tomorrow. I really need to get off this computer and do that! :rotfl2:

TOMORROW, TOMORROW, I LOVE YA, TOMORROW...well maybe

Ah the joys of weather, just waiting there to mess with any well-laid plans.

Am I done packing? Nope. My plan was to do that in about a 2-hour timeframe tomorrow between 10am and 12pm when the kids were at school.

Why is this a problem? Because right now there is a very real possibility that the kids will go to school late....like school will START for them at 11am. We'd put them on the bus at 10am....just to pick them up at noon or 1pm. Not sure it's worth it except for our own peace to get stuff done without them helping but not really helping! :rotfl:

See if the county delays school tomorrow, they will no longer get out early. That puts a major crimp in our plan.

I'm actually sitting here discussing leaving at 4am now...seriously did I just say that?

I don't know..stay tuned because our trip could actually begin in LESS than 12 hours! :)

Yes I know about the weather. After last week's drama all for nothing....not sure what to expect! :rotfl: I can't imagine they will cancel Friday on Thursday, that's pretty rare. We are always the last to cancel or so it seems.

And all set? HAHAHAHAHAH! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I am on the computer when what I should be doing is a little more packing but with it being a surprise...not sure what I can do.

If school is delayed it is going to mess with our schedule. We may not even send the kids at all since we want to leave early and they would be there late. I may go into work just to do my timesheet and leave and then get home and pack. We would just have to surprise them all together and they would finish helping pack themselves! :)

So I'm in a total holding pattern right now. I just finished playing tennis this evening and I haven't gotten myself motivated yet to do more stuff for tomorrow. I really need to get off this computer and do that! :rotfl2:

Drat that darn weather throwing a wrench in you plans! I just KNOW that everything will go smoothly for you tomorrow! I think the surprise is SO much fun! We've done that twice. A couple summers ago we surprised the two youngest (Oldest DS knew we were going) and last January I surprised middle DS when we took off for the World. Sooooo much fun!

Safe travels! I hope your kids were super excited when you let them in on the surprise. Have a great trip!

Hey there!!
Hope you will see this!!
I sent you a PM with my contact info incase we have a chance to meet up!
Happy travels!!!!
:beach:

lovin'fl said:
Safe travels! I hope your kids were super excited when you let them in on the surprise. Have a great trip!

Thanks! Well my 12yo as always was just obnoxious. He hates surprises and I should know better by now. They were happy to find out we were going but wished we were flying. Hope the girls get thru their stuff tomorrow. So nice about that teacher!

tallen429 said:
Hey there!!
Hope you will see this!!
I sent you a PM with my contact info incase we have a chance to meet up!
Happy travels!!!!
:beach:

Hey there I replied. Safe travels to you too!

So you may have guessed but we are on the road and about halfway thru the drive right now. The weather did make us change plans but that's ok since it will mean mode Disney time. I am running on about % hours of sleep right now.

So at 4am my phone notified me that I could report to work after 8am and we just knew with a look at roads kids would at least get a delay. I needed to turn in my timesheet at work to get paid so I had to go to the office when the roads were at their worst shape. So I got up around 4:30am and was driving to work by about 5am.

It was bad and I avoided many idiots spinning out and walking in front of me at on point. I have 4WD drive and plenty of bad weather driving experience though. I carefully got to work and got my timesheet turned in and then I left. I was back home around 6:15am and DH had the kids up.

DD10 knew where we were going and DS12 was being a total jerk about not knowing our plans. He just gets nasty. I just need to learn not to surprise him any more!

So we were all packed on hit the road close to 6:30am. Dropped the dog off with my SIL and picked up MIL and FIL and their luggage (they all live in same house) and hit WaWa for some food.

I monitored traffic on my phone via Google Maps while DH drove. It wasn't horrible but slow going and plenty of accidents.

We have already stopped for lunch at BK in NC and should arrive in FLA around 10pm. We plan to stop for one nice sit-down meal probably in GA. I don't have a hotel reserved yet for tonight. Debating a Disney Value or just an outside park place. Budget would be outside and since website of Disney doesn't take same day reservations I'd have to call to check rates. So budget offsite will probably win.

Good news is we should be able to get a full park day in tomorrow. Cannot wait!

Hey there I replied. Safe travels to you too!

Hmmm....I don't see a reply message. Maybe it hasn't come through yet??:confused3

I'm sorry the weather and the accidents are causing you a headache! It was pretty bd in our area too.
DH missed a fairly important meeting this morning because he was stuck behind accidents THREE trimes on his way!
Ugh.
Hopefully it's getting better...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter