Nightly Shows After Covid?

Rabb it

Kings Over Aces
Has anyone seen any news regarding whether shows will still be going on after sailings start again?

My girlfriend and I want to book a 2021 cruise, but if they will be cancelling shows or limiting the amount of people able to attend shows, that might deter us from booking.

Thanks everyone!

Has anyone seen any news regarding whether shows will still be going on after sailings start again?

My girlfriend and I want to book a 2021 cruise, but if they will be cancelling shows or limiting the amount of people able to attend shows, that might deter us from booking.

Thanks everyone!

I would imagine you may have to reserve a time, they will almost certainly reduce capacity in the theatre, and they would run multiple show times. They had done this in the past.

No one knows. They are not calling back cast of any of the production shows or auditioning at this time.

As Broadway lovers, no musicals would 100% cause us to cancel our Aug 2021. It was our favorite part of our last cruise!

The good news is that Equity has reached a deal with Disney, so at least that's a step in the right direction. I also imagine it will be helpful that the cast lives together.

I think the only answer to this is no one knows. With that said, my guess would be Disney will find a way. ;)

I was in WDW a few weeks ago and we saw some of the "theater" type shows, like Philharmagic, Hall of Presidents and Carousel of Progress, so theaters aren't totally off limits. As previously noted there could be reduced capacity, spaced seating, reserved times, etc..., but I feel (hope?) Disney is working on those types of specifics to have their ducks in a row when the time comes. Keep in mind there will be reduced capacity on the ships as a whole, so less people would make it easier to have less people in the theater.

I was in WDW a few weeks ago and we saw some of the "theater" type shows, like Philharmagic, Hall of Presidents and Carousel of Progress, so theaters aren't totally off limits. As previously noted there could be reduced capacity, spaced seating, reserved times, etc..., but I feel (hope?) Disney is working on those types of specifics to have their ducks in a row when the time comes. Keep in mind there will be reduced capacity on the ships as a whole, so less people would make it easier to have less people in the theater.

But it’s not just spacing in the theater. It is the performers as well. Are they going to have to socially distance on stage? What about rehearsals and living conditions? Also, the deep breathing required for good singing, makes the performers more susceptible to Covid and also makes them able to spread it more quickly if they are asymptomatic. Disney will definitely need to have some good protocols for the performers before starting back...including the performers in Rapunzel’s and Tiana’s Place.

Now that we are talking about this, in WDW the union show performers are still out, so no shows. Are the performers on the cruiseline part of the same unions?

But it’s not just spacing in the theater. It is the performers as well. Are they going to have to socially distance on stage? What about rehearsals and living conditions? Also, the deep breathing required for good singing, makes the performers more susceptible to Covid and also makes them able to spread it more quickly if they are asymptomatic. Disney will definitely need to have some good protocols for the performers before starting back...including the performers in Rapunzel’s and Tiana’s Place.

I wonder if once they quarantine and test negative, it would be considered safe to be around each other. Maybe they could do something like the nhl and nba, but have performers bubble on the ship. Being on a ship it might even be easier, who knows? I certainly don't have the answers and I'm glad I'm not the one making any of these decisions, but I think Disney can come up with some great ideas to make things work!

The dinner shows might be a different story. I hadn't thought of those.

I wonder if once they quarantine and test negative, it would be considered safe to be around each other. Maybe they could do something like the nhl and nba, but have performers bubble on the ship. Being on a ship it might even be easier, who knows? I certainly don't have the answers and I'm glad I'm not the one making any of these decisions, but I think Disney can come up with some great ideas to make things work!

As long as they don't meet at the tables, I think it should be possible to create a stage area where they can keep their distance from each other (if no performer's bubble) and from passengers. Maybe that backdrops,like at Rapunzel's, need to be removed to create more distance.

Shows have restarted here in the Netherlands. Some have reworked their staging to create more space between actors. But the biggest issue is having only a 3rd of the audience in the theater.

Given that the cast usually train in Toronto for about 2-3 months prior to getting on the ship, when things are up and running, I imagine the cast will need to have rehearsals etc. If I'm right, the Toronto facility can accommodate two cast at a time.

I imagone some crew might not want to return - so there might be new cast to train also. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Yeah the dinner show thing could be interesting. I mean maybe? I know it is a small area but maybe they could rework something? And yes they do play instruments and sing but WDW still has the Main Street Philharmonic...

Given that the cast usually train in Toronto for about 2-3 months prior to getting on the ship, when things are up and running, I imagine the cast will need to have rehearsals etc. If I'm right, the Toronto facility can accommodate two cast at a time.

I imagone some crew might not want to return - so there might be new cast to train also. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Another thing to consider is that Canada (and Toronto) is not letting in anyone that is not a Canadian citizen into the country. been like this since April. They wouldn't even allow their own baseball team (blue jays) to play there because of all the visiting teams that would need to come and play. So they're playing in Buffalo, NY now

I don't foresee Canada opening the border until next year. With luck, January.
If its January, take 2-3 months of cast training and you're into April.

Anyone want to amend their vote on that "when will DCL sail again" poll ?

Another thing to consider is that Canada (and Toronto) is not letting in anyone that is not a Canadian citizen into the country. been like this since April. They wouldn't even allow their own baseball team (blue jays) to play there because of all the visiting teams that would need to come and play. So they're playing in Buffalo, NY now

However, they did allow the Jays to have their IIRC training camp, in a bubble [it was held in the stadium which has an attached hotel that everyone stayed at; nobody was allowed in/out of the premises] with a built-in quarantine etc. It was the later games that was the issue with the in and out of teams.

And some degree of film and tv production has resumed in many parts of Canada, including Toronto, under strict public health rules/guidelines.

So, in theory it may be possible for DCL to arrange to create a bubbled cohort that would be sequestered and train together that would be acceptable to the Canadian/provincial/local governments. Depending how transportation to the embarkation port was done, it might even be able to meet whatever CDC's pre/post-boarding crew quarantine requirements might be. i.e. they would quarantine on arrival in Canada and then essentially be completely sequestered/isolated together in a bubble for the duration of their stay training in Canada, then transported to the port. If the transportation is also done so they don't break the isolation then they would already be "quarantined" and just may need testing to demonstrate non-infection. Think of the NBA bubble but on a smaller scale.

(ETA: this assumes of course that any other issues re: having live performances on board ship can be resolved and they would want to go ahead in some form)

SW

However, they did allow the Jays to have their IIRC training camp, in a bubble [it was held in the stadium which has an attached hotel that everyone stayed at; nobody was allowed in/out of the premises] with a built-in quarantine etc. It was the later games that was the issue with the in and out of teams.

And some degree of film and tv production has resumed in many parts of Canada, including Toronto, under strict public health rules/guidelines.

So, in theory it may be possible for DCL to arrange to create a bubbled cohort that would be sequestered and train together that would be acceptable to the Canadian/provincial/local governments. Depending how transportation to the embarkation port was done, it might even be able to meet whatever CDC's pre/post-boarding crew quarantine requirements might be. i.e. they would quarantine on arrival in Canada and then essentially be completely sequestered/isolated together in a bubble for the duration of their stay training in Canada, then transported to the port. If the transportation is also done so they don't break the isolation then they would already be "quarantined" and just may need testing to demonstrate non-infection. Think of the NBA bubble but on a smaller scale.

(ETA: this assumes of course that any other issues re: having live performances on board ship can be resolved and they would want to go ahead in some form)

SW

Canada has also allowed the NHL to play in both in both Toronto and Edmonto (just Edmonton now). There’s always exceptions to these rules for the special people. :rolleyes: :laughing: I suppose too if getting into Canada was an issue they could just move training to the US for the time being.

I think we are almost 100% most likely to see cruises first return without live shows. Just like the parks Disney will want the ships cruising again ASAP. And they will certainly return before things like live stage shows are considered “safe” again. That begin said I’m guessing they will be one of the last things to return to the cruises. Perhaps they’ll be some reduced experiences like we see in the parks. Just like the parks get ready for a lot of “I’m not cruising again until X comes back threads!” when restrictions are finally announced.

SW

Yeah...I agree with this..only a bubble would make it feasible to retrain the performing cast. but even now, we're in full mode second wave now in toronto/ontario so knows how this works out. ppl here are freaking out

I would ask if there are any special features to the Toronto practice space.

Timing on dry land and a stable stage can vary to choppy seas in the WDT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!