Next WDW DVC speculation thread

CastAStone

Business nerd. Good at math. Bad at spelling.
So, with the apparent end of the Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge project, I thought it might be interesting to speculate what’s next after Riviera, especially since everyone is already doing that in other threads.

What we know:
  • Riviera will be for sale for at least a few more years, but is selling just fine.
  • Aulani will be for sale until it’s old enough to drive (2025-26ish)
  • Disneyland Hotel Villas is apparently still on, as it was presented to the city planning commission just a few weeks ago.
  • It has been almost 20 years since DVC didn’t have a WDW resort for sale, as WDW vacations are what get people to buy DVC
My best guess would be an add on somewhere they can do it easily, perhaps VGF or BLT 2. Maybe a BCV or BWV tower with separate deeding than BCV 1.0. Looking forward to the thoughts of others!

Isn't there also a rumored resort at the entrance of EPCOT?

For WDW I still think Reflections is next, but setting aside that discussion:

1 YCV/BCV2 on the land that was slated for DVC in the early 2000s (north of BC and west of EPCOT entrance)

2 VGF 2 (or a new resort name) (north of GF in the west side of the canal)

3 BLT 2 (south garden wing and/or convention center footprint)

(all 3 would likely have walk to park capability)

For WDW I still think Reflections is next, but setting aside that discussion:

1 YCV/BCV2 on the land that was slated for DVC in the early 2000s (north of BC and west of EPCOT entrance)

2 VGF 2 (or a new resort name) (north of GF in the west side of the canal)

3 BLT 2 (south garden wing and/or convention center footprint)

(all 3 would likely have walk to park capability)
Covid decimating the convention business with the YC and Coronado convention expansions might be helping BLT2’s DVC case.

Would making one at the Yatch Club consist of building a resort or just turning regular rooms over to DVC. If it was building and adding more rooms that might make SAB quite crowded.

I think it will end up being a hotel room conversion. Could be a couple more buildings at the Poly. Could be a couple Grand Floridian buildings. Could be another floor at Jambo. Could be Yacht Club rooms.

Even if we assume the best and there’s a vaccine for Covid that renders it mostly a non-factor, it could take years for tourism to recover to 2019 levels. If Disney struggles to fill its 5000 deluxe hotel rooms, converting some to DVC (rather than building new) is a no-brainer. They can always add more hotel rooms down the road when they’re truly needed.

Would making one at the Yatch Club consist of building a resort or just turning regular rooms over to DVC. If it was building and adding more rooms that might make SAB quite crowded.
While I would not rule out some level of conversion at YC, what I am looking at is a very large free standing DVC (6 to 10 million points) with its own recreational facilities

Converting rooms at Jambo could kick the can down the road a year with minimal work, and that's a mega-huge enough resort to absorb some more DVC.

While I would not rule out some level of conversion at YC, what I am looking at is a very large free standing DVC (6 to 10 million points) with its own recreational facilities
I would be very surprised by a YC conversion. YC is too small to convert much, and YC is often almost entirely booked by convention business. Even if cons are down for a bit, by eliminating such a major room block they are assuming it's dead forever, and really no.

A medium convention at the main hall at Boardwalk will need 1000+ units. They usually have blocks at BC, YC and BWI.

I think a hotel conversation is the most likely just because it would be cheaper than building something totally new. I think that would probably mean Poly 2, VGF 2 or YC. A Bay Lake Tower 2 would sell really well even with a slow economy, so I think that could be a possibility. I guess they could also just convert the last wing of Wilderness Lodge. It looks like there's enough room to build a AKL 3, which I would love, but a project like that would probably be more involved than they'd want to do right now.

It will be interesting to see what they do. Hopefully the economy comes roaring back, Riviera sales pick up and Reflections gets built with just a year or two delay.

Converting rooms at Jambo could kick the can down the road a year with minimal work, and that's a mega-huge enough resort to absorb some more DVC.
But the 4th floor and lower are small rooms like the value rooms. (The 5th floor rooms sliding door is over the end of the 4th floor balcony)
While I wouldn’t mind a ton of value point rooms being added, I’m not sure if that would be attractive to DVC.
Plus, I think it might have to be the same condo association as AKV, with the same 2057 expiration date vs the 2070 Riviera.

If they don't have another new property to sell in DW after finishing off Riviera, it might behoove them to ROFR some contracts and resell those points in order to keep the prices up for DVC points until Reflections' replacement can be built.

There are good arguments for taking the last of the hotel rooms at WL, including offloading the entire property onto DVC, and the relative ease of converting hotel rooms versus building a new hotel. On the flip side, WL has significantly more dining than any other exclusively DVC resort, and relies upon people not staying there to fill those restaurants. Continuing on the flip side, there would have to be a third DVC association there, and that would likely have to follow the points and exchange possibilities of the older associations in order to be competitive.

I see BLT2 on the site of the garden wing of the Contemporary as the potential viable candidate for the near term.

I personally LOVE the Garden Wing at CR. I don't like to see too many changes to WDW. If they want to add NEW things fine; but I think the reason so many of us love WDW is the NOSTALGIA. The memories we made there with friends and families in the past. When they rip down any part of it it just makes me sad. In any case there is still PLENTY of land still undeveloped at WDW just as Walt planned when he first bought that huge swath of property in Olando. I truly hope that if they DO dedide to build new things, they avoid tearing down the old that so many of us cherish.

facebook twitter