News Round Up 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rather than Trader Sam being removed entirely, I'd love to see a new, appropriate Trader Sam character.
What does this even mean though? He's not any particular race or ethnicity. Even Disney only calls him a "native". Native to where? If he were European would this be an issue? If he were an animal would this be an issue? I'm not the type of person to be against socially progressive stances, but this one has me scratching my head.

What does this even mean though? He's not any particular race or ethnicity. Even Disney only calls him a "native". Native to where? If he were European would this be an issue? If he were an animal would this be an issue? I'm not the type of person to be against socially progressive stances, but this one has me scratching my head.
It's the general portrayal of "natives" from a colonial viewpoint. The ride depicts trader Sam and others as ignorant savages, a trope that was common in the era the ride was built.
it really isn't constrained to a race or ethnicity. In this case it's non-white, non-Europeans who are portrayed through a lens of "otherness" as if the viewpoint must be that of a white person and anything else is "exotic" or "strange".

Yup. We have lots of unmasked pictures. I don't mind getting some that are unique.

We got a ton of compliments about our xmas card photo taken at WDW with masks, even from people that aren't really into Disney. We received cards with masked people too. No, not superheroes.

Rather than Trader Sam being removed entirely, I'd love to see a new, appropriate Trader Sam character.

How do you do an appropriate head hunter :confused3 Maybe just make him a bartender in a Hawaiian shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts