News Round Up 2020

Well, you are paying for it by paying for the hotel room - there is an extra cost above and beyond the park ticket to get access to the express pass line
That's true but you don't have to book a cerain room category or anything. It's just by virtue of booking one of the 3 qualifying resorts. While it's certainly a big advice here on the Boards to do that (especially because it's for check in and check out date) in lieu of purchasing EP on its own people don't book one of the 3 qualifying resorts only for EP that is just listed as a perk of the given resort.

Maybe put another way you'll pay the room rate regardless of taking advantage of the EP or not and enough people will book those resorts either because they like them, they like the transportation options, they prefer the type of accommdation, etc.

The hotel rates have been affecting people who are even on these boards though.

I used to go 3-4 times a year just maybe 3-4 years ago. Now it's maybe once a year, and to be honest the majority of my time is spent at Universal.

I'm planning a 12 member family trip for this November. My poor parents (who are paying) remember our trip in 2012 and how we had free table service dining and stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter, and they wanted to do that again and I was like nope, sorry, that is not a thing anymore. Not unless you wanna be paying upwards of $10k for the whole trip.

Ticket prices alone shocked them when I told them the cost of a 4 day non-hopper.

Unless some amazing discount comes out, or half the family doesn't want to go, we'll be renting a house off property and at the very least eating all breakfasts in the house, if not some dinners.

It's not the good old days anymore.
You should look into getting 4-bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet Creek or two 2-Beds. It is an awesome place and a 2-bed there is cheaper than a standard room at an All-Star.

Disney is the only place that I've been to that had a 'get ahead of the line' pass that came included in one's park ticket. All other theme parks or amusement parks it was always an add on. That's just my experience though.
They're the only ones that charge $1100 for an AP, too. Pretty much every other park you could pay for tickets and all day skip the line for less than a day ticket at Disney.

For the cost of 3-days at Disneyland I could buy an AP for Cedar Fair, Six Flags, and Sea World that would get me into like 50+ different Parks.

I keep reading about how there are lack of crowds, attendance being down at WDW. I have a Sister in Law who has gone every X Mas time for last 5 years. She just got back from her yearly trip and said the crowds were as great or greater than she could ever remember. Mentioned that there were a couple of days that were so big she felt claustrophobic (again coming from someone has been there every year for last 5 years). Now this is just one persons observation, but someone I trust to give me a good idea of what was going on. It will be interesting to see what the official Disney attendance is when they announce their next quarterly results. Just take the comments about lower attendance with a grain of salt.
Touring Plans measured crowd level for December 2018 averaged 7.2

December 2019 averaged 5.9

I don't think I expect rack rate to be that price but I think when you're talking including discounts the price is still really up there.

Just to give you an idea it really wasn't all that long ago that All-Star Sports was right around $100. Without a discount in September 2017 we paid $100 for All-Star Sports during the week including Sunday with Friday and Saturday being $123.00 in a Standard Room (taxes excluded). Now that was a cheaper time to go for sure. Adding a discount and it became $92.80 for the week including Sunday and $113.80 for Friday and Saturday BUT that was an upgraded Preferred room at that rate.

Now I totally understand your point but I understand other people's point too. Rapid increase is usually what I mention because people do tend to expect rates to go up. I also never compare to other places that aren't like places but that's just me.
All Star Resorts are all $112 tonight.

reupping something I’ve posted elsewhere:
All Star Sports opened in 1994 with prices from $77 to $109 a night, according to the LA Times.

Adjusted for inflation, that’s $137-$189 in 2019 dollars.

EDIT:

sorry @rteetz I was reading back to front and just saw this.
I am not quite sure what the ongoing discussion is but might be time to move it elsewhere.

I think the big thing is the variance of cost for on property to offsite .... I just did a quick search for tonight and there are a ton of rooms that are rated 4stars or higher for less than $125/night ... many of them with major hotel chains so you get points

plus, as a family of 5 we can get a 2 bedroom condo for like $150/night way less than a room that fits 5 would cost on property
Not to mention the values are basically the equivalent room size/layout as a motel 6 and the moderates are equivalent to a 90s Holiday Inn.

Personally I think $140 for a value is about right, but $200 plus parking for Pop is insane. But they'll charge whatever people will pay. In the meantime I just booked a 2-bedroom condo at Bonnet Creek in September for 9-nights for $800 all in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter