• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like anything completely new would come out on one of the Fox labels at this point. My only fear is disney has pretty much abandoned touchstone. Will they do the same with fox eventually? I just don’t see Disney doing anything that’s not a known commodity at this point and if their movies are making money why would they.

I think the other issue is when they do something new it flops. Look at bfg, nutcracker, and wrinkle in time. I feel like artemis fowl is destined to fail as well, but I hope not.
I think you're right about Artemis Foul. No matter how much of a following a book series has, in order for the film adaptation to be successful you have to pull in 3-4 times as many people from outside that fan base.

I think the reason the Harry Potter movies did so well was a perfect storm of the timing the books were made and the ability for film technology to really make the wizarding world come to life.
Similar situation with the Lord of the Rings movies. There have been LOR movies in the past, but the scale and visual effects that Peter Jackson was able to use was new and exciting and really brought middle Earth off the pages and made it seem like a real place.

A lot of the effects I've seen for the Artemis Fowl trailer don't feel unique or spectacular enough to draw outside of the fan base.

I feel like anything completely new would come out on one of the Fox labels at this point. My only fear is disney has pretty much abandoned touchstone. Will they do the same with fox eventually? I just don’t see Disney doing anything that’s not a known commodity at this point and if their movies are making money why would they.
They have done new animation just not as much. Zootopia was original, Frozen, Coco. Then you have Onward a new original Pixar story coming. There is supposedly a new princess film coming in 2020/21.

Touchstone is an interesting question. I don’t see them disolving the major studios at Fox though. They did already dissolve Fox 2000.

They have done new animation just not as much. Zootopia was original, Frozen, Coco. Then you have Onward a new original Pixar story coming. There is supposedly a new princess film coming in 2020/21.

Touchstone is an interesting question. I don’t see them disolving the major studios at Fox though. They did already dissolve Fox 2000.
I agree on animation. I just mean live action films. I mean is disney really going to spend a bunch more money to make double the amount of films. Realistically how many films will they release under the fox labels a year? 2 or 3? I don’t see much more than that. We won’t know the true impact for a couple years as I’m sure a lot of things are already in production, but realistically I don’t see them releasing many more movies a year then they release now. Although this year is a bad example.

I agree on animation. I just mean live action films. I mean is disney really going to spend a bunch more money to make double the amount of films. Realistically how many films will they release under the fox labels a year? 2 or 3? I don’t see much more than that. We won’t know the true impact for a couple years as I’m sure a lot of things are already in production, but realistically I don’t see them releasing many more movies a year then they release now. Although this year is a bad example.
I think it will depend. I don’t see them doing much right now with anything under production. They may change some things that are being considered. So it might not be until 2020-2021 until we see the impact Disney has on Fox.

I agree with much of what you two said.

I did see a point on twitter that one reason they do keep making these live action version of old films is for international consumers. China for instance has never seen these old Disney films and doing these live actions familiarizes them with these stories.

That is a good point and something I (and I am sure others) don't consider

good example of that is ow in Asia it seems like they know Pirates of the Caribbean as a movie first, not a movie based on a ride, and know the live action Alice in Wonderland more than the animated version

What I've always understood from a business standpoint, but never understood from a creative standpoint, was taking a good movie and making it 'again'. Doesn't it make more sense/is less risky from a creative standpoint to take a bad movie and re-make it well? Better yet, why go from animated to live-action? Why not the other way around? While I haven't see a lot of Disney's older live-action movies, The Black Hole comes to mind. The vision for a movie like that was probably well beyond the technology they had at the time. Well it's 2019 now, the technology exists. They can re-make it with great special effects, or even make an animated version.

I know it falls on deaf ears because the name recognition seems to trump all (unfortunately) but I just keep thinking of the potential opportunities they have in their library.

I think (hope) things like that could be a good fit for the streaming service. Even more than a new movie, a series based on the Black Hole could be kinda cool

What I would love to see - be it under a separate label or not - is them taking chances but give them lower budgets

Something like Tomorrowland - that had a budget of $190m so when it only grosses $209m worldwide it is a flop .... but if they could do movies like that for $60m or something, then it doesn't have to make a billion $ to be successful

I think my little grandtinker will enjoy this..

This show has a 10 minute run time for those wondering too.

it looks pretty cool and the animatronic looks great .... hope there is a bit of interactivity to it as from this clip just look like watching the animatronic and then a screen - if it is just that, I mean, fine, something to do, but not sure how popular it will be / how often need to redo it

PHOTOS, VIDEO: Jessie’s Critter Carousel Opens Up to First Guests for Promotional Filming at Disney California Adventure
Wish they'd install the old King Triton’s Carousel somewhere else. We're suckers for fish and underwater stuff. Would have been great to see it in person.

Leonard Maltin’s take on Dumbo and really all the remakes being made
My sentiments, exactly. Have to say I enjoyed BatB much more than I thought I would though. And the rehashing of the MCU series seems to be bringing in big bucks. So, from a business perspective, they'll keep churning this stuff out until people stop going. And, I know I'm in the minority when it comes to that

it looks pretty cool and the animatronic looks great .... hope there is a bit of interactivity to it as from this clip just look like watching the animatronic and then a screen - if it is just that, I mean, fine, something to do, but not sure how popular it will be / how often need to redo it
Is that the real Lightning animatronic? It looked almost fake, like it was animated and not really in the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter