News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up next from #DisneyParksLIVE: Watching paint dry!

ok... I did watch it. But it brings to mind the discussion here a while back on how Disney doesn't know when to say "no" to social media trends. *cough*purplewall*cough*

I know we've covered that purple wall on this thread on here with much disdain...but......

We were there over the weekend. I did not realize the following that the wall had. We had to push our way through what used to be my favorite short cut through the terrace.

I love the three caballeros but $40 for a woven shopping type bag??? I know Disney souvenirs were always overpriced but now it's ridiculous.
Yeah, I looked for a bag to use for work when we were there in January and couldn't find any bag that was worth the money for me. I didnt want the square canvas tote, I wanted something a little wider, but everything was $40 at least. I ended up with one from the Disney store when I got home for $15ish

I know we've covered that purple wall on this thread on here with much disdain...but......

We were there over the weekend. I did not realize the following that the wall had. We had to push our way through what used to be my favorite short cut through the terrace.
It must vary a good deal. We were there over SWDS race weekend and used that short cut multiple times -- no one there. :)

I am curious how Ant-Man 2 will do given that (as I understand it) it is set prior to Infinity War and just wondering if it gets lost in the shuffle

I know I'm a tad late to reply, but Ant-Man is really the perfect hero to follow an Avengers movie. The first Ant-Man followed Age of Ultron which I think was really smart. The Avengers movies are so big in ever sense imaginable. The scale of the film, it's importance to the overall MCU, etc, is huge. What the audience needs is a smaller story, with smaller consequences, to kind of reset themselves and get prepared for the next arc of the coming phase. The first Ant-Man story was very contained, and it was a breath of fresh air. A nice way to just kind of kick back and be presented with things that are happening "in the now" of the movie. No need to think about the implications of something that's going to happen 4 movies from then.

I'm hoping Ant-Man and the Wasp is the same way. A smaller scale story with smaller consequences. The first movie was essentially a heist film. The juxtaposition of the big battle in Ultron to the "big" battle in Ant-Man was great! Ultron you had buildings crumbling, cities being destroyed, etc. Ant-Man the big battle happened in a child's room. Just a clever way to pull things back and level set.

Up next from #DisneyParksLIVE: Watching paint dry!

ok... I did watch it. But it brings to mind the discussion here a while back on how Disney doesn't know when to say "no" to social media trends. *cough*purplewall*cough*
Hmm, I don't know. I watched parts of it and started trying to make plans to take my parents to WDW because I love it so much and I'm sad they've never been and if they ever want to go it should be soon, while they're active enough to really enjoy it. Maybe they DO know what they're doing. :teacher:

I can't remember what WAS there when it opened... :confused3

I know - I posted that as sort of a joke - because people forget there was almost nothing in the park opening day. Here's the list:

The Great Movie Ride

a dark ride paying homage to several classic films, located inside The Chinese Theatre - a recreation of
the famous Hollywood landmark Mann's Chinese Theatre

The Backstage Studio Tour
a 2-hour guided tour including the short films The Lottery & Michael and Mickey

The Magic of Disney Animation Tour
a show and tour including the 9-minute short Back to Neverland

The Monster Sound Show
hosted by Sony - showing the importance of sound in cinema through a film and an interactive stage show

Superstar Television
hosted by Sony in a 1,000-seat theater - an interactive live show that recreates the production of some of
TV's greatest shows, using park guests as part of the cast

Easy to forget that 3 of these were long, long gone, Backstage Tour was a shell of itself when it finally closed. So when GMR closed and people were saying "No original attractions", it's not like that list was long.

For those that want to know the OLDEST attractions in the park, in order:
August 25, 1989 Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! (28 years)
December 15, 1989 Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (28 years)
May 16, 1991 Muppet*Vision 3D (26 years)
November 22, 1991 Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage (26 years)
January 7, 1992 Voyage of the Little Mermaid (26 years)
July 22, 1994 The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (23 years)
October 15, 1998 Fantasmic! (19 years)

Last edited:
Just want to add that this was supposed to open with the park but the park was a rush job to begin with and not everything could get done in time.

yes and it should probably be mentioned for those that don't know that the park was not initially intended to be a full day park, but half park and half working studio. The working studio has also of course long been shuttered, and what little was left is not in the pile of rubble removed for TSL and SWGE.

Just want to add that this was supposed to open with the park but the park was a rush job to begin with and not everything could get done in time.

I just recently watched the Opening special of Disney MGM Studios. It is available on YouTube and the version I watched was almost 2 hours. They even included commercials that aired during the special. During the special, John Forsythe and Kate Jackson were at the Indy venue and you actually see some of the cast members practicing some of their stunts. Then you had the host, John Ritter almost get impaled by the spears that come out of the ground. Also I believe that for some of the musical performances in the special, they used the venue. So while the Indy stunt show may not have opened on May 1st, the special at least gives the impression that the stunt show was probably really close to being ready.

I just recently watched the Opening special of Disney MGM Studios. It is available on YouTube and the version I watched was almost 2 hours. They even included commercials that aired during the special. During the special, John Forsythe and Kate Jackson were at the Indy venue and you actually see some of the cast members practicing some of their stunts. Then you had the host, John Ritter almost get impaled by the spears that come out of the ground. Also I believe that for some of the musical performances in the special, they used the venue. So while the Indy stunt show may not have opened on May 1st, the special at least gives the impression that the stunt show was probably really close to being ready.
Yep.

Jim Hill actually just did a history segment on Indiana Jones in the theme parks. This stunt show was supposed to come to Disneyland as well. OSHA has not been a fan of the show in the past either.

I know - I posted that as sort of a joke - because people forget there was almost nothing in the park opening day. Here's the list:

The Great Movie Ride

a dark ride paying homage to several classic films, located inside The Chinese Theatre - a recreation of
the famous Hollywood landmark Mann's Chinese Theatre

The Backstage Studio Tour
a 2-hour guided tour including the short films The Lottery & Michael and Mickey

The Magic of Disney Animation Tour
a show and tour including the 9-minute short Back to Neverland

The Monster Sound Show
hosted by Sony - showing the importance of sound in cinema through a film and an interactive stage show

Superstar Television
hosted by Sony in a 1,000-seat theater - an interactive live show that recreates the production of some of
TV's greatest shows, using park guests as part of the cast

Easy to forget that 3 of these were long, long gone, Backstage Tour was a shell of itself when it finally closed. So when GMR closed and people were saying "No original attractions", it's not like that list was long.

For those that want to know the OLDEST attractions in the park, in order:
August 25, 1989 Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! (28 years)
December 15, 1989 Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (28 years)
May 16, 1991 Muppet*Vision 3D (26 years)
November 22, 1991 Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage (26 years)
January 7, 1992 Voyage of the Little Mermaid (26 years)
July 22, 1994 The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (23 years)
October 15, 1998 Fantasmic! (19 years)
Oh yeah, I remember those now. I think that movie had Bette Midler in it to didn't it? And didn't it go through the costume building where you could see all sorts of people working on sewing up new costumes Etc? And the actual studio building which is now the launch bay, where there were artist drawing? IWe did those tours and I'm sure all the other attractions for the time. I think our trip was in maybe 1989 or 1990? It was our first Adventure in Florida!

News

The 2018 Tony Award Nominations have been announced!!!

Frozen: The Broadway Musical has been nominated for:

1. Best Musical!
2. Best Book of a Musical (Jennifer Lee)!
3. Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre (Music and Lyrics: Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez)!

"The 72nd Annual Tony Awards will be broadcast live on June 10th at 8/7c on CBS, hosted by Sara Bareilles and Josh Groban (YES!!! :D) and presented by The Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing."

Disney Theatrical hasn't won the Best Musical Category since 1998 when the Lion King took the award, and the Lion King is the only Disney Theatrical musical to win Best Musical.

Source: https://broadwaydirect.com/2018-ton...il&utm_source=marketingcloud&utm_campaign=280

My opinion...Since Frozen only has 3 nominations, I don't see it winning Best Musical this year. Part of my reasoning is there are no nominations for Frozen from any of the best actor/actress, costuming, scenes, and orchestration categories. I will still be watching with the hopes that it does well with the 3 categories it was nominated for.
A Band's Visit !!1 will win

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter