News Round Up 2016

Of course it would be welcome however I don't think Disney feels it's as big of a seller out in California with so many locals visiting the parks.

I think that's very short sited. Many people that own DVC also live in Florida.. California a much much larger state alone could supply that demand. Let alone the visitors that come from the rest of the west coast. The problem is selling points, its the availability of land to build resorts on.

Where are you getting that? I own DVC at boardwalk and grand Californian and I can tell you its near impossible to get a room in California and this is true of almost everyone else trying to go there. The reality is DVC hasn't even tapped the surface of its potential in California.

I think that's very short sited. Many people that own DVC also live in Florida.. California a much much larger state alone could supply that demand. Let alone the visitors that come from the rest of the west coast. The problem is selling points, its the availability of land to build resorts on.
Disneyland is completely different from Florida in terms of clientele. You have over 1 million AP holders many of which live within a short drive of the park. Disneyland isn't thought of as a destination like WDW. Those who go to Disneyland go for a few days whereas those who go to WDW are likely to go for around a week. Disney also looks at Aulani, which is on the west coast and a DVC resort. That resort didn't sell points all that well. That shows Disney that maybe DVC isn't a big ticket on the west coast. That's just what I've heard. California may be a larger state but that doesn't mean it's automatically going to sell.

and also... where is the DVC wing. Disney needs a huge DVC resort in California... That has got to be in the plans somewhere, right?

There might be DVC rooms but DVC isn't the seller out there like it is in WDW.

I think this article shows that additional DVC would be very welcome in DL:
http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...3415-new-hotel-revealed-for-disneyland-resort

Where are you getting that? I own DVC at boardwalk and grand Californian and I can tell you its near impossible to get a room in California and this is true of almost everyone else trying to go there. The reality is DVC hasn't even tapped the surface of its potential in California.

The fact is - more DVC in California would be in much demand. From what I have heard - there are three reasons that DVC has not expanded in California:

1) #thanksAulani - Aulani has not sold well. It is a little over half sold after like 5 years. They are estimated that they are going to take another 3-4 years to sell out. The feeling within DVC is that another DLR DVC resort would dilute the property even further.

2) Part of the motivation for DVC at Disney right now is to replace underwhelming deluxe hotel occupancy with DVC. California doesn't have the same lagging hotel occupancy issues that plague Florida - and have higher room prices. This is one reason that the recent Disneyland hotel refurb didn't result in any room converting to DVC.

3) Space - there just isn't that much space out in California. This new hotel is the first in a long time.

All that said - there is clearly more demand than supply at the VGC - but understand there are only like 48 rooms (maximum 71 rooms if you split up the lockoffs) at the VGC. This is compared to some 3000+ rooms in Florida, and 500+ rooms in Aulani. Because of that - there will EVENTUALLY be a DVC in California. And it IS possible that it could be part of this new resort, the good news is if this new hotel were to have a DVC wing - Aulani should be sold out by the time it opens.

The fact is - more DVC in California would be in much demand. From what I have heard - there are three reasons that DVC has not expanded in California:

1) #thanksAulani - Aulani has not sold well. It is a little over half sold after like 5 years. They are estimated that they are going to take another 3-4 years to sell out. The feeling within DVC is that another DLR DVC resort would dilute the property even further.

2) Part of the motivation for DVC at Disney right now is to replace underwhelming deluxe hotel occupancy with DVC. California doesn't have the same lagging hotel occupancy issues that plague Florida - and have higher room prices. This is one reason that the recent Disneyland hotel refurb didn't result in any room converting to DVC.

3) Space - there just isn't that much space out in California. This new hotel is the first in a long time.

All that said - there is clearly more demand than supply at the VGC - but understand there are only like 48 rooms (maximum 71 rooms if you split up the lockoffs) at the VGC. This is compared to some 3000+ rooms in Florida, and 500+ rooms in Aulani. Because of that - there will EVENTUALLY be a DVC in California. And it IS possible that it could be part of this new resort, the good news is if this new hotel were to have a DVC wing - Aulani should be sold out by the time it opens.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Disneyland is completely different from Florida in terms of clientele. You have over 1 million AP holders many of which live within a short drive of the park. Disneyland isn't thought of as a destination like WDW. Those who go to Disneyland go for a few days whereas those who go to WDW are likely to go for around a week. Disney also looks at Aulani, which is on the west coast and a DVC resort. That resort didn't sell points all that well. That shows Disney that maybe DVC isn't a big ticket on the west coast. That's just what I've heard. California may be a larger state but that doesn't mean it's automatically going to sell.

From what I've been told, DGC DVC wing sold out in record time. There is something like 40-50ish room making it perhaps the smallest resort. All I can say is from experience, its nearly impossible to get a DVC room in California. That isn't the case in Florida or Aulani.

From what I've been told, DGC DVC wing sold out in record time. There is something like 40-50ish room making it perhaps the smallest resort. All I can say is from experience, its nearly impossible to get a DVC room in California. That isn't the case in Florida or Aulani.
@skier_pete explains it quite well above.

Very well said. Aulani is giant. Perhaps adding to the resorts on the west coast would entice buyers to a new property a DLR or Aulani. Disney Parks vs Hawaii is so different. The cost of going to Hawaii, generally, is going to be more expensive for most families. So, how many times are you likely to repeat that vacation when you have Disney parks in the mix but you can't ever use your points to stay at DLR?

The first rule of buying DVC is “Buy where you want to stay”. Meaning that there are occasions where you may not have any options beyond your Home Resort. If most DLR visitors are day visitors, then they aren’t going to need a hotel, much less DVC. And the guests that travel far to visit DLR most likely don’t want DLR as a home resort. So the rooms may be in demand but the points probably aren’t.

The first rule of buying DVC is “Buy where you want to stay”. Meaning that there are occasions where you may not have any options beyond your Home Resort. If most DLR visitors are day visitors, then they aren’t going to need a hotel, much less DVC. And the guests that travel far to visit DLR most likely don’t want DLR as a home resort. So the rooms may be in demand but the points probably aren’t.

This is the most logical. If I were to buy west coast DVC it would be along the lines of 40-50 points, and then I would bank/travel/borrow and go every 3 years. And at that point... better to just save the money and stay at Paradise Pier/DLH or splurge on Grand or the new hotel. Thats our thought process. So while we say "We're DVC and we'd love to use points to go to California!" the reality is I'd never actually buy them.

Now... if the DVC powers that be are listening - you could get me to pay a premium for a rotational DVC plan. Year 1 DLR, Year 2 Cruise, Year 3 WDW, rinse and repeat. Thats what we'd really like to do nowadays...

There will probably be more DVC in Anaheim in the future, but this proposed hotel is applying for city tax incentives which require the building of a luxury level hotel. Any DVC units would not receive the tax incentives.

While I agree to a degree - I think there would be a lot of people that would buy contracts to do 2-3 night stays multiple times per year. I am not saying that DVC in California would compete with Florida, but I suspect there is more than enough of a market to extend the DVC market there - even as much as a full resort. I just think it unlikely.

Per reliable source from WDWMagic - the huge land acquisition by Uni may be a third gate, but it won't be announced until 2018 or 2019, and won't be built and ready til 2021. Thanks Spirit!

My question, and this might be better as a seperate thread, but if the do build the third gate, will this force Disney to go to a 5th gate? With these timings, SWE, and TSL will be done, and IF there is a 3rd phase that will be at least started at DHS. Avatar land will be fully in swing...is that enough for Disney to not have to go 5th gate?

Last edited:
While I agree to a degree - I think there would be a lot of people that would buy contracts to do 2-3 night stays multiple times per year. I am not saying that DVC in California would compete with Florida, but I suspect there is more than enough of a market to extend the DVC market there - even as much as a full resort. I just think it unlikely.

I am putting this quote in below from the article I linked earlier as I keep reading all the comments about DVC in DL not selling well or there really isn't a demand because its all locals. I own DVC and all you have to look at is the resale price of points at Grand Californian versus all the other DVC resorts in Orlando that have been sold out for years to see the demand (and this is for DVC now with no extra benefits.) I really think the comment about the tax benefit on hotel rooms and land space available is why there isn't more DVC in DL, not Aulani. It would help Aulani to have more west coast options for people who don't want to go to Hawaii each year but don't want to travel to Florida. It would also help Orlando sales if people felt they had a chance to exchange into DVC in DL. This resort sold out the year after it opened during a recession. I think there was plenty of demand.
"The resort began selling in 2008 and opened in 2009, in the midst of the worst recession the U.S. has ever experienced. Disney Vacation Club sold the last of itsGrand Californianpoints in October 2010. Since then it has emerged as one of the most sought-after properties on the resale market with prices in the neighborhood of $150 per point--a notable increase in value over its initial offering price of $112 per point."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter