News on Annual Passes

Its optics right? So all the people who were told about visiting for a week maybe 2 at a time oh yeah we are going to offer this new benefit that is basically not worth anything. So yeah it might be good for some but perhaps not even most. Now that is the new benefit for DVC members nevermind it excludes most perhaps. Also they wont have two tiers of DVC. So it would be nice that a pass aligns with DVC travel. Keep in mind DVC rooms are booked most of the year all the time including weekends and all those blackout dates.

Lets be clear APs are for financial benefit of the person visiting. Noone is paying 1300 for a pass taht they dont use, or to go for 1 day. So yeah i wont begrudge anyone who it does work for however if they have one pass for DVC i rather it work for an overwhelming majority which i dont think a pixie pass would.
Oh, that I agree with totally. I don't think the Pixie Pass is a good choice for many at all.
I think DVC should be able to have a better pass option, even if no one else gets one (and again, I'm not DVC, but I really think they are getting the shaft on this) because they bought in to a program to visit frequently and now they've lost a major benefit to visit the main draw to why they bought in.
I doubt most would have bought Disney DVC if they'd known they'd have to but park tickets for each visit.
But, maybe I'm wrong here. Maybe DVC AP sales weren't all that high? I just assumed they were since the first thing they always mention is more frequent and or longer trips as a selling point

Oh, that I agree with totally. I don't think the Pixie Pass is a good choice for many at all.
I think DVC should be able to have a better pass option, even if no one else gets one (and again, I'm not DVC, but I really think they are getting the shaft on this) because they bought in to a program to visit frequently and now they've lost a major benefit to visit the main draw to why they bought in.
I doubt most would have bought Disney DVC if they'd known they'd have to but park tickets for each visit.
But, maybe I'm wrong here. Maybe DVC AP sales weren't all that high? I just assumed they were since the first thing they always mention is more frequent and or longer trips as a selling point
I don't understand why DVC should get better pass options. You are buying into an accommodation contract, not park entry.

I don't understand why DVC should get better pass options. You are buying into an accommodation contract, not park entry.
Who said anything about better pass options? Just said if Disney is going to open AP sales again to anyone, it should be DVC first. That's all. Not different or new ones, just existing ones.
If you don't think the Parks are included as a part of the appeal of buying DVC you are incorrect. Why else did DVC have a discounted AP? However, at no time did anyone mention they are part of the contract. Only that having them and access to them is why the majority bought DVC contracts. Do some take Disney vacations with no plans to go to the parks, sure. Do most, no. When you go to a sales pitch for DVC you can bet parks are included as a selling point. Telling those guests they will have to buy park tickets for each trip is not something sales teams are going to want to point out

Who said anything about better pass options? Just said if Disney is going to open AP sales again to anyone, it should be DVC first. That's all. Not different or new ones, just existing ones.
If you don't think the Parks are included as a part of the appeal of buying DVC you are incorrect. Why else did DVC have a discounted AP? However, at no time did anyone mention they are part of the contract. Only that having them and access to them is why the majority bought DVC contracts. Do some take Disney vacations with no plans to go to the parks, sure. Do most, no. When you go to a sales pitch for DVC you can bet parks are included as a selling point. Telling those guests they will have to buy park tickets for each trip is not something sales teams are going to want to point out
You did.

No, I did not. You misunderstood. That statement was after a much longer conversation and was not in reference to a new pass option. Did you read the post I was responding to, or any of the others before that? If you did it should have made sense. If it didn't, then sorry.
Really at this point not explaining again. It's just not worth it.

No, I did not. You misunderstood. That statement was after a much longer conversation and was not in reference to a new pass option. Did you read the post I was responding to, or any of the others before that? If you did it should have made sense. If it didn't, then sorry.
Really at this point not explaining again. It's just not worth it.
I did. And DVC should expect nothing more than what is laid out in the 4 corners of the contract.

Cheers.

Let me jump in here and say that the Pixie Pass being available for DVC members would create a situation similar to that when weekend nights cost far more points than weekday nights. Many DVC members booked only the cheap weeknights, leaving the weekend nights open. That did create a bottleneck for DVC reservations, as alluded to earlier in this thread.

I did. And DVC should expect nothing more than what is laid out in the 4 corners of the contract.

Cheers.
Wow. Ok. One word, Compassion. Try it on.
Those folks spent a lot. I have some compassion for them having to spend even more for access to the parks
I don't think they expect anything. Just an option to buy an AP, not get a hand out
Why exactly is it putting a burr under your saddle?

Let me jump in here and say that the Pixie Pass being available for DVC members would create a situation similar to that when weekend nights cost far more points than weekday nights. Many DVC members booked only the cheap weeknights, leaving the weekend nights open. That did create a bottleneck for DVC reservations, as alluded to earlier in this thread.
That does make sense when put that way

Because they spent tens of thousands of dollars and no one, absolutely no one would've predicted the situation they are in now. It's ironic because on our last pre-covid stay we were chatting with DVC agents at our resort. He was giving us all the spiel and my grown daughter said yes, but my one concern is what happens if say...WDW shut down. Where does our investment go? He laughed and said that was one thing no one ever had to worry about, WDW was never shutting down. And yet, they did just a few short months later.

I'm not DVC. We looked at it, decided it wasn't for us. But never in my wildest imagination did I ever think being a passholder would not be a possibility in the future. I laughed when my daughter said what she said too. It's one thing to be aware of what benefits are in your contract, but to imagine every outlandish possibility is quite another. Until Covid, no one would have considered not being able to get an AP was even a remote chance. It's a given that when you buy into DVC, the parks are probably a major reason. There are certainly hundreds if not thousands of other times shares just as nice or nicer and a whole lot cheaper.

“ As it relates to levers of demand, some of the things we could do, Doug, we had limited the number of annual passes that we have across some of our businesses -- some of the parks.” (McCarthy, Disney CFO, Q322 Call, 8/10/22.)
I took that to mean only that due to current demand, they were holding back pass sales. After listening to it in full, it seamed to me like they would be back as soon as capacity allows.

Cheers.
Except there was most certainly things said during the sales process about the availability of AP's and how that will enhance and save you money over the long term of this significant investment. Though not in the contract, sometimes statements like that can be enforced by the courts and they certainly feed into many final decisions to buy in.

For a number of years, the option to buy a discounted AP was a perk used to entice people to pay more by buying directly from DVC rather than save $$$$ by buying resale. The DVC salespeople do miss being able to dangle that carrot!
Not to mention that, if I remember correctly, they gave you free passes for every stay on points so there is a long history to the benefit.

For a number of years, the option to buy a discounted AP was a perk used to entice people to pay more by buying directly from DVC rather than save $$$$ by buying resale. The DVC salespeople do miss being able to dangle that carrot!
Fair point. I doubt they would have taken that perk away from resale contracts had it not been just that, a perk they wanted to use to entice people to buy direct.

Not to mention that, if I remember correctly, they gave you free passes for every stay on points so there is a long history to the benefit.
When DVC first opened, buyers got free tickets for half the capacity of the villa they booked for a given stay, e.g. if they booked a villa that slept 4, they got 2 tickets. Those buyers received tickets through 1999, but DVC stopped giving them to new buyers at some point before 1997.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter