• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

newest best rate update...

Lollipop Mom

DIS Veteran
It sounds like things are starting to become more uniform across departments now (FINALLY!) as far as answers go. Sounds like they have recently had some sort of meeting to hammer out some answers. Here are the details I now have answered per my sales rep:

(1) Is this going to be the only way to book AP rates?

Official answer on call in rates...they are not doing away with call in rates. They can not promise them either because it will depend on how many rooms are booked through best rate. If the rooms allocated for AP discounts are not sold out through best rate, then they will be available for call in. There may be a gap in booking time, as in at 121 days you can no longer book best rate but you may not be able to call in untill say 90 days (just an example, not new policy). The price for call in rates will be set based on how many rooms are still available. They will not be lower than best rate program rates. As of now call in rates will still have the same cancellation policy (an aside though, I wouldn't be surprised if it were changed to 45 days since the online booking cancellation policy is 45 days. They are hoping to encourage more online booking and it certainly doesn't encourage online booking if the cancellation policy is better for call ins!).

(2) Matching passholder rates...

There is still some discrepancy on what they consider to be a "general public rate" (does it include passholder rates or not? one department seems to say yes and another says no) but what everyone agrees with is that call in passholder rates will NOT be lower than online best rate prices. Depending on how many rooms are left to fill they will either be the same or slightly higher (think 6-10% higher). As my sales agent put it "if we call it the passholder best rate program and then we offer a better passholder rate later on we are going to have a lot of angry passholders! We want to see this program succeed and if word gets out that you can get a better rate by waiting then there is no point to offering the program at all." So far it sounds as though they are happy with the results of the program. I sincerely doubt it will ever be an issue. If they have difficulty reaching target occupancy they can offer rates to everyone that are slightly higher than passholder rates and people will jump on it faster than you can say pixie dust! In a year when discounts for the general public have been all but nonexistant, they aren't going to need to drop them lower than the best rate offers.

(3) Booking more than one room at best rate...

They aren't trying to prevent you from holding more than one room if you have a large party, it is just a limitation of the software they are using. You can book more than one, you just have to do them one at a time. They are aware of this issue and are working to improve it.

(4) If you book using the best rate program link but you book a rack rate room because a "best rate" room wasn't available then you are NOT in the best rate program. Your cancellation policy should be 45 days rather than non refundable and your rate will not be adjusted down. If you booked at rack, check your confirmation email carefully to make sure you are clear on what it says.

(5) Keep trying back if your date is sold out. As someone starts the booking process, that room gets pulled from inventory, if they abandon the process it may take a few minutes for the room to go back to available.

(6) Change fee...just confirming again that the change fee is waived if the total price of your reservation remains the same or is increased. The change fee will only be assesed if the total cost decreases. GUest services DOES have this in writing so it is not an "unofficial policy." This has been the case with package change fees for some time now.

(7) No payments can be made over the phone. Everything must be done online.

(8) Example of rates that won't be matched:
-pin codes
-travel industry discounts
-group rates
-AAA rates
-convention rates
-any discount offered by a certain emloyer
-cast member rates
-package discounts where the discount is on something other than the room

It sounds like they have received a lot of email about if they will match AP rates. They are basically telling us not to get hung up in the sematics of the description, that the bottom line is they will not release passholder rates that are less than these we are seeing through the best rate program. It is called "BEST RATE PROGRAM" for a reason. ;) Basically, assume the rate you are quoted is what you will pay. The "we will reduce your rate" thing is a great hook but do they really need to reduce it? not likely now that occupancy is up considerably from last year.

I had joked that I was going to make my blood pressure skyrocket worrying about recommending to certain clients that they take advantage of this program and having it come back to bit me. Our sales agent told me to "relax" over it; that provided that they are well informed of the cancellation policy, that clients booked with this won't be disappointed because there is not going to be a better room only offer. So now I just have to worry about people ordering a pass and having the room available when it arrives!

So what happens if part of your reservation includes "best rate" dates, and some "rack rates". We're looking at arriving 11/25 - 12/3. From what I can see, discounted rates are available at AKL from 11/27 - 12/3. However, 11/25&26 are rack rates. If I book 11/25 - 12/3 is there a chance the rate on the "rack rate" days may be discounted?

Lollipop Mom,

I have been following all your threads on this subject and wanted to thank you. You are doing a great job providing us with really clear explainations. :sunny:

Now I do have a question: what would you advise me to do? I have a rack rate ressie for YC, Pres. Week (Feb.06). I had been considering buying one adult AP to get the room discount if they had been made available. I only go to WDW every other year so wouldn't normally need an AP. If I understand correctly, I now would need to buy an AP to even book "best rate" right? Should I just go with AAA (10%) or buy the AP? And can you check "best rate" prices without an AP in hand?

Thanks! :wave2:

I guess you did not get a better response for those in the "Best Rate Program Time Warp" of early-mid October. Judging by the fact that I sent an email to guest services on Monday and have yet to hear anything, my guess is that those of us booking then are SOL (unless by some miracle there are still a few call-in rooms left, but it doesn't look like is going to happen since this program seems successful). I guess I just have to book my AAA rate and spend a lot less time on-site. :rolleyes:

Change fee...just confirming again that the change fee is waived if the total price of your reservation remains the same or is increased.

the other day a CM told me to switch from one mod to another at the same price it would $50 charge. Hopefully soon everyone will be on the same track

plutospup said:
So what happens if part of your reservation includes "best rate" dates, and some "rack rates". We're looking at arriving 11/25 - 12/3. From what I can see, discounted rates are available at AKL from 11/27 - 12/3. However, 11/25&26 are rack rates. If I book 11/25 - 12/3 is there a chance the rate on the "rack rate" days may be discounted?

I would keep checking, they were showing passholder rates for those dates earlier today

Lollipop Mom said:
(4) If you book using the best rate program link but you book a rack rate room because a "best rate" room wasn't available then you are NOT in the best rate program. Your cancellation policy should be 45 days rather than non refundable and your rate will not be adjusted down. If you booked at rack, check your confirmation email carefully to make sure you are clear on what it says.

Ok, I am confused on this. So lets say that I book my vacation in January 06 for my arrival in December 06. I would obviously be more than the 120 days out. But I doubt that the "best rate" would be out yet and I would be booking my room at rack rate.

So according to what I am reading this as I am not in the best rate program and when the best rates do come out my rate won't go down?? I would remain at rack rate and have still paid the non-refundable deposit??

This one lost me, can you help me understand??

So am I understanding this correctly?...if I have a Best rate room booked and they extend the free dining and the package cost is higher than there is no change fee and you don't lose your deposit?

Many thanks! Certainly the confusion is lessening and it will all be forgotten in short order!

Ok, I am confused on this. So lets say that I book my vacation in January 06 for my arrival in December 06. I would obviously be more than the 120 days out. But I doubt that the "best rate" would be out yet and I would be booking my room at rack rate.

I am guessing what will happen is that every few months they will release a new batch of "Best Rate" rates (can I say how many times I've tried to avoid saying rate twice back to back but it just doesn't work! :teeth: ). So in January of 06 you may be able to book best rate rooms through say, June of 06 then in March you could book through August and in May through October etc. I am guessing that the best rate deals won't be released all at once for the whole year...but I could be wrong! Since this is new we can't be sure. In order to participate in the best rate program, you have to book throught he special link on the passholder site (or through a travel agent who uses the best rate program link on the TA site!). Booking any other way than this does not "enroll" you in the best rate program.

When you are using that special link and searching for something, if it doesn't find anything available it will give you a message that tells you it couldn't find best rate availability and it returns rack rate rooms. I have no idea what it says on the passholder site, on the TA site it says something like "the offer you selected is not available for these dates" or something like that. What I see on my screen is if it a "best rate quote" returned, there is a big white box at the top with all of the terms for the program, if it returns rack that box isn't there. If you book a rack room where it says best rate rooms aren't available then you've just booked a "basic package" which is essentially room only (plus minigolf!) booked under package rules that include a 45 day cancelation period.

So am I understanding this correctly?...if I have a Best rate room booked and they extend the free dining and the package cost is higher than there is no change fee and you don't lose your deposit?

Hmmm...I don't think so. I haven't asked something like that but my guess is that no, that won't work because can't just convert a passholder room only booking into a package. You would have to cancel the passholder rate and rebook with the free dining package. If you cancel the passholder rate you would lose your deposit.

I'm not 100% certain on this, but that is my guess. They are 2 totally separate offers. I think the chage fee is for changes made that remain within the same offer (passholder best rate) and in this case it wouldn't be a change, it would be a cancelation.

Lollipop Mom said:
I am guessing what will happen is that every few months they will release a new batch of "Best Rate" rates (can I say how many times I've tried to avoid saying rate twice back to back but it just doesn't work! :teeth: ). So in January of 06 you may be able to book best rate rooms through say, June of 06 then in March you could book through August and in May through October etc. I am guessing that the best rate deals won't be released all at once for the whole year...but I could be wrong! Since this is new we can't be sure. In order to participate in the best rate program, you have to book throught he special link on the passholder site (or through a travel agent who uses the best rate program link on the TA site!). Booking any other way than this does not "enroll" you in the best rate program.

When you are using that special link and searching for something, if it doesn't find anything available it will give you a message that tells you it couldn't find best rate availability and it returns rack rate rooms. I have no idea what it says on the passholder site, on the TA site it says something like "the offer you selected is not available for these dates" or something like that. What I see on my screen is if it a "best rate quote" returned, there is a big white box at the top with all of the terms for the program, if it returns rack that box isn't there. If you book a rack room where it says best rate rooms aren't available then you've just booked a "basic package" which is essentially room only (plus minigolf!) booked under package rules that include a 45 day cancelation period.

I would have my AP (or voucher as my AP will lapse at the end of this year) when I go to book, so basically you are saying I should wait until the "best rate" rates are out then book. If it says the "best rate" isn't avail then I should not book at the rack rate that it comes back with because I won't be in this program and would only be under that "basic package".

I hope I got this now :)

I would have my AP (or voucher as my AP will lapse at the end of this year) when I go to book, so basically you are saying I should wait until the "best rate" rates are out then book. If it says the "best rate" isn't avail then I should not book at the rack rate that it comes back with because I won't be in this program and would only be under that "basic package".

I hope I got this now

Exactly! :) You've got it! Just keep an eye on the passholder section of the web site, and on the boards here, and when you see they have opened up dates for best rate, then you are good to book!

Lollipop Mom said:
So now I just have to worry about people ordering a pass and having the room available when it arrives!

I am an early planner and book from 9 to 11 months in advance. I always book my room first, then airfare when I find a good price. With this new program, I would have to book my airfare first then wait to book the room. Are people still calling to book a rack rate price, then cancelling when rates become available in the "Best Rate" Program or am I totally off base?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter