New Zealand 2022 reopening

So excited…just got my NZeTA today. The process was a lot easier than I thought it would be based on what I was reading online. Definitely download the mobile app and apply using it. You only have four steps (scan passport, take photo, pay fee, and answer questions). Although they say it can take 72 hours, it took about 1 min for my approval to come through. Try to complete the process during NZ time regular hours (I did it in the afternoon EST) to minimize possible issues with the app not working. When you scan your passport, you are only scanning the bottom two lines where the letter and number sequence identifiers are— the lines will turn green when you scan it properly— it took a couple tries for me to figure out why it wasn’t scanning. Below are some of the links I found helpful in completing the process:

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/nzeta

https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz/

The detailed photo requirements really freaked me out until I realized I could take a selfie, just not using the mirror. If you use the mobile app, you have to take the picture using your phone. If you apply online, you can upload a photo.
FYI - once here, you likely won’t ever have to show the approval info in the app. It must key off of the passport info when going through immigration as no one has yet asked to see it.

FYI - once here, you likely won’t ever have to show the approval info in the app. It must key off of the passport info when going through immigration as no one has yet asked to see it.
That’s good to know. Thanks for the information. Are you able to answer a couple of questions?
  • Is the Welcome Reception actually at 5pm? I’m still trying to figure out how much I can do before the ABD officially starts.
  • Is New Zealand a cashless country? I’m trying to decide how much NZD to bring. I know we have several meals that are OYO and I thought I read somewhere that NZ was cashless or preferred Apple Pay or similar payments. Are you finding that to be true?

That’s good to know. Thanks for the information. Are you able to answer a couple of questions?
  • Is the Welcome Reception actually at 5pm? I’m still trying to figure out how much I can do before the ABD officially starts.
  • Is New Zealand a cashless country? I’m trying to decide how much NZD to bring. I know we have several meals that are OYO and I thought I read somewhere that NZ was cashless or preferred Apple Pay or similar payments. Are you finding that to be true?
Kia Ora! From Queenstown airport & on my phone so pls excuse any typos.

Yes, the reception starts at 5pm. But dinner is in the room next door to the reception and does not start until approx 5:45. One couple in our group had a pre-AbD tour which was scheduled to end approx 0530pm, & return was delayed a bit. It was not an issue as they’d let the guides know ahead is time.

The guides were in the lobby for checkin on the AbD start day from 10-12 and then 1-3. I missed them completely as I was on a tour from 8am-4pm. No worries again - I’d let them know day before and did the checkin with them in the lobby before dinner.

Re cash vs credit - most places do accept credit, some added a 2% surcharge if you used a credit card. A couple of smaller places were cash only, and at one of our stops along the way it was a little cafe where internet for card transactions was spotty so cash was suggested to keep things moving faster.

One thing I wasn’t expecting was having to tip the NZ local guide in cash. She was not on PayPal or Venmo, said those things were not available in NZ. I think NZ has some limited PayPal use mainly for commercial use. So you need to be prepared for NZ cash for that one. I had to make a run to the ATM the last afternoon before dinner as I’d not asked her until the last day. Don’t know if that will be same for all the local guides; you may want to ask earlier so you can plan accordingly as needed.

Edit - I can’t speak for Apple Pay as I don’t use it & didn’t really pay attention to whether it was offered around here.

Edit #2 - Apple Pay is in some of the airport shops in Auckland. So it is in some places in NZ. Don’t know how many.

Last edited:
Just finished this tour...wow!! Amazing experiences, and we were lucky enough to have wonderful weather - 60s and 70s the whole time. Our guides Kira, and Victoria were absolutely top notch! Just be aware that Victoria - who will be doing a couple more tours this year, can only take cash for her gratuities. Also, when flying home through the Aukland airport from Queenstown you'll need to exit the domestic terminal, take a 10 minute walk to the international terminal, and then go through security again. We had an hour and 20 minutes between flights and got to our second plane just before boarding started.

Just finished this tour...wow!! Amazing experiences, and we were lucky enough to have wonderful weather - 60s and 70s the whole time. Our guides Kira, and Victoria were absolutely top notch! Just be aware that Victoria - who will be doing a couple more tours this year, can only take cash for her gratuities. Also, when flying home through the Aukland airport from Queenstown you'll need to exit the domestic terminal, take a 10 minute walk to the international terminal, and then go through security again. We had an hour and 20 minutes between flights and got to our second plane just before boarding started.
And keep cross checking your flights. We are here on a post day and as I was getting into bed I cross checked and my departing flight was cancelled by Air New Zealand, but rebooked by them to leave an hour earlier. Not a problem, but it was a surprise - and required some calls to revise the air transfer. Sometimes paranoia is a good thing.
It was a pleasure meeting and making friends with Jasmine's mom (her avatar name) and Jasmine on this trip as well.

And keep cross checking your flights. We are here on a post day and as I was getting into bed I cross checked and my departing flight was cancelled by Air New Zealand, but rebooked by them to leave an hour earlier. Not a problem, but it was a surprise - and required some calls to revise the air transfer. Sometimes paranoia is a good thing.
It was a pleasure meeting and making friends with Jasmine's mom (her avatar name) and Jasmine on this trip as well.
Is this Nancy? I heard you talking to the guides as we were walking out and was going to check back with you. I'm so glad the flight was rebooked at least! It was great meeting you as well. What a great group we had! Take care!

So excited…just got my NZeTA today. The process was a lot easier than I thought it would be based on what I was reading online. Definitely download the mobile app and apply using it. You only have four steps (scan passport, take photo, pay fee, and answer questions). Although they say it can take 72 hours, it took about 1 min for my approval to come through. Try to complete the process during NZ time regular hours (I did it in the afternoon EST) to minimize possible issues with the app not working. When you scan your passport, you are only scanning the bottom two lines where the letter and number sequence identifiers are— the lines will turn green when you scan it properly— it took a couple tries for me to figure out why it wasn’t scanning. Below are some of the links I found helpful in completing the process:

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/nzeta

https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz/

The detailed photo requirements really freaked me out until I realized I could take a selfie, just not using the mirror. If you use the mobile app, you have to take the picture using your phone. If you apply online, you can upload a photo.
So I have been trying for a few days to get the NZeTA app to work. I've tried all sorts of times of day, and keep getting that there's an error or a network error. How long did it take you to get through? I'm getting to the point where I'm leaning towards just doing it through the website. Any suggestions/insight?

ETA: Well, of course, because I posted this question, the app suddenly decided to cooperate. Ugly selfie and all, I now have a NZeTA! I can legally enter New Zealand! YAY!! And it was approved and issued in about a minute!

Sayhello

Last edited:

So I have been trying for a few days to get the NZeTA app to work. I've tried all sorts of times of day, and keep getting that there's an error or a network error. How long did it take you to get through? I'm getting to the point where I'm leaning towards just doing it through the website. Any suggestions/insight?

ETA: Well, of course, because I posted this question, the app suddenly decided to cooperate. Ugly selfie and all, I now have a NZeTA! I can legally enter New Zealand! YAY!! And it was approved and issued in about a minute!

Sayhello
Glad you were finally able to get it to work. I never had to show it nor was asked for it during my trip. I guess it was attached electronically to my passport.

Glad you were finally able to get it to work. I never had to show it nor was asked for it during my trip. I guess it was attached electronically to my passport.
Well, that's a good thing, because the app isn't working again, which means I can't even get to the place where it shows the NZeTA, so if I had to show it to someone, I'd be toast! Thanks!

Sayhello

Well, that's a good thing, because the app isn't working again, which means I can't even get to the place where it shows the NZeTA, so if I had to show it to someone, I'd be toast! Thanks!

Sayhello
Same here - never had to show it either.

Can’t help but wonder,if those recent horrible storms & flooding took affected something ie the systems or else support people not being able to get to work.

We were not asked to show the NZeTA. I assume it is linked to your passport.

There is a reference number with your NZeTA and I had those numbers recorded, just in case they had to look them up. The confirmation email lists that reference number. Actually you can print that email confirmation as proof that the NZeTA was issued.

Right country, wrong thread - sigh - moving Day 11 posts to our trip report thread.

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous!!! You have me jumping with anticipation! :)

And Grifdog stood in a glacial lake? Why am I not surprised?? :teeth:

Doesn't sound like a bad travel day at all to me!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter