New Year’s Eve plans - Epcot or MK?

Hayley1230

Earning My Ears
Hi
We are a family of 5 visiting Disney for the first time from 25 December this year. Given that we will need to make park pass reservations I am trying to decide which parks to book on which day.
I’m stuck with New Years Eve. Instinct says go to Magic Kingdom but I’m a little worried about the crowds. Our children will be 9, 7 and 5 so we may not make the midnight fireworks anyway. One idea was watching the MK fireworks on 30 Dec then going to Epcot for New Years Eve. Or we will be there for 14 days so could even avoid the parks altogether and go to a waterpark that day. I want to experience NYE at Disney but then I’m thinking with the crowds and tired children it may be something that doesn’t live up to it’s expectations.

Anyone have any experience of either parks on New Year’s Eve with youngish children?

We were there for NYE in 2018. My girls were older, 11 and 18. We did MK on 30th and Epcot on NYE. We really enjoyed the vibe at MK, it wasn’t horrible and felt more family friendly. Epcot was fun, for a while. World Showcase turned into a huge, loud, shoulder to shoulder party. It was … a lot. I, personally, got overwhelmed (I have some sensory issues because of a brain injury). While I REALLY wanted to experience NYE in the parks, we ended up leaving around 10:30 because it just getting to be too much. My girls enjoyed the party vibe going on, but it was definitely an adult scene at that point.

However, we went back to our resort, Pop Century, and had an AMAZING time ringing in the new year by the pool. The resort CMs very fabulous and had a dance party, games, streamed Times Square- there were snacks, lots of families and it was perfect for us. Even the 18 year old loved it, who was a little sad to give up the Epcot party.

Where are you staying? I'd pick the park which is the easiest to get to from my resort. IIRC, the roads can be crazy that night. You'll be there for several days, so I assume it won't be the only day you can get to a particular park.

Thank you. We are staying offsite at Windsor hills and will be renting a car.
We definitely plan to do each Disney Park at least one other day so we wouldn’t necessarily be trying to squeeze in lots of rides on NYE. Sounds like the MK atmosphere may be more captivating for the little ones. Plus there’s the option to leave after the early fireworks if the children have had enough without feeling as much like we have missed out!

Maybe consider one of the private boat excursions that view the MK fireworks from the Seven Seas Lagoon? Even if you don't do it for NYE, it's a pretty relaxing and unique way to experience the MK fireworks and for being a private Disney experience, it's actually not that expensive. If they do the water parade, you have a unique vantage point for that also.

Maybe consider one of the private boat excursions that view the MK fireworks from the Seven Seas Lagoon? Even if you don't do it for NYE, it's a pretty relaxing and unique way to experience the MK fireworks and for being a private Disney experience, it's actually not that expensive. If they do the water parade, you have a unique vantage point for that also.
Thank you, I will take a look

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts