New Walker's Sharing Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Dave, for starting up the new thread. I don't post often, but I TRY to keep up with the reading......This one and our Team Hukana Matata thread are about as much as I can handle of all these threads! I just don't have the time to keep up!

To those of you experiencing difficulties, you're in my thoughts! The circle will come around again, hopefully soon!, and you'll have things rolling your way again!

The circle will come around again, hopefully soon!, and you'll have things rolling your way again!

Any chance you can stop the circle for me for a little while after it comes around about 180 degrees? My circle seems to be stuck on the wrong side for quite some time now.

Mega Thanks, Dave for starting this thread for us'n that are not ultra athletes and non runners! :thumbsup2

As just an older, regular, 15-mpm walker I tend to feel I am at the back of the pack. So it gets a bit discouraging ... And there is absolutely nothing I could share that would be helpful or of interest to a runner! :rolleyes1

Way to Go Jen…sounds like your Mom is in fantastic physical shape. Oh, my gosh doing the back bend!

Dave: Great news from the dentist (And the insurance company), Dave…speedy recovery & healing

Robert: We also HOPE you hear good news from lab saying insurance company will pay for the cartilage regrowth ($11,000). That doesn't even include surgery #2. And it sounds like you are moving in the middle of this too?

Connie: PD to both you and your DH.

Hope I didn't miss anyone! :flower3:

Jen, Being a bit older than you and just under you mom's age, I'm 53 and did the 1/2 as a walker. I did it in 3:10.

Clothes including proper shoes (I use cross trainers), socks(cause if your feet are hurting you won't be walking) and undergarments make a BIG difference. Although we are not running we're still moving and after the 1/2 I ended up with on spot of my back from my belt, a welt. I had never worn the belt and you know trying something new on the day of the race is not to brilliant but I was afraid they would not have enough water for me. I was wrong. I had been in local races as a walker and they'd just about packed up supplies by the time I arrived at the water station.

I tried so many different pants, tops and socks throughout the year. My favorite clothes and those that I wore at the race were bought at Sam's club. Go figure. My daughter ended up borrowing a pair of my capri - yes capri's for the race. The were made of stretch fabric - not cotton with a drawstring. As a back up I had a pair of pants - same fabric in case it was cool that day.

A lot of women - and men- use bike shorts to avoid chub rub and these are like that but with a little more give in the knee area.

Hope this helps.

denise

Thanks for all the PD! There is definitely magic at work in the world!!

After being told the back problem could be nothing or anything up to cancer, it turns out it is a couple pinched nerves and arthritis. The doc (one of the top 10 in the United States) seems to think that a steroid epidural in the affected areas will be just the ticket! The 21st is the date!

Thank you all so much. I believe the universe listened...

LOVE the new thread!

Bill, want me to send you DH's docs number?? In the mean time, I am hoping your circle comes around 180 degrees and become a strainght line!!

Robert, all the best.

Margie! The back of the pack is where the party is!! Seriously, when you have the time, at the back, you get to hear some fascinating stores told by fascinating people. And everyone has a story. There is more to racing than just a finish time. There is the whole experience in-between.

Wendy, tell the kids to use the library!! :woohoo:

Kathy, glad you can stop by more often!!

Duckie, you are doing great!

Dave, the dentist will just make you soooooooo much more dashing!

Everyone be safe!:grouphug:

Connie so glad it was nothing major, hopefully he will be good as new in no time:hug:

Dave: Yikes on the dentist bill......:scared1:

Maria, yup we got hit again with snow....I just keep thinking a month today I will be on my way to Florida, getting on a ship and heading into the caribbean:yay:

Robert: Yikes with the housing prices, I can't remember where you said you guys where looking to relocate but WOW....those are some steep prices.

Still not getting in any miles, this cough just won't go away, working on a week now. I will give it to the weekend if now better I will go to the DR, probably picked it up in the hospital when I was having my MRI:headache:

Hope all those in the southern states hit by the Tornado are all safe and sound:grouphug:

Kim

Welcome Margie :welcome: We are back of the pack people here and have fun back there.

Kathy--- Glad to see you posting. Are you going to be doing another WDW race in the future?

Connie--- That is great news for your husband. Having had back problems myself several years ago, the epidurals were the only thing that worked. Here is some extra PD for him.pixiedust:

Robert--- Good luck with the insurance covering the procedure for you. Glad that you found a new condo and it seems like everything is moving right along. I'm sure you won't miss all that snow.

Dave--- So you will have a bright new smile for all of us when we see you in Oct. Hope all goes well.

Kim--- Hope you are feeling better soon.

Denise--- I so agree with you about the clothing and shoes make a big difference. I have my favorite Adidas capri that I wear which are getting worn out for all the races I have been in. I got chafed on my right arm from wearing the WISH tank top which I didn't notice until mile 18. I haven't worn a tank top since summer so I guess my arm wasn't used to that. I noticed that you use cross training sneakers. I remember you posed before that they helped with all the problems you were having initially. Since Saucony is no longer making my running shoe I use, maybe I will try a cross trainer to see how they work out.

Duckie-- All of us started out slowly and over time were able to build up our miles and endurance. Crosstraing is a big help.

Hi to Wendy and Jeanne. Jeanne did you get my pm the other day?

Did pump class last night so a little sore today?

Have a great day everyone.

Nancy

I spoke with a friend of mine who is a personal trainer and she gave me some exercises to do that will help strengthen my shin muscles.

Can you share those please? That seems to be the only place I constantly have a problem. They wind up feeling like they're starting to cramp - can push thru it but would rather fix the problem. :)

Thanks!

Even strong shins can be painfull if you don't warm up good. I have to warm up walk for a couple of miles before a race. I know if I didn't warm up enough if I have shin pain after a few minutes of racing.

The shins are pretty tiny as leg muscles go so they will get tired first if you don't warm up properly.

I went to the pool and sprinted for a half mile in the 5' deep water as fast as I could after sprinting slow for about 10 minutes. This has become my rehab workout since the goofy hurt my achillies. Then some good stretching in the hot tub.

I can't wait till oct when I can see y'all again. Erica and I miss our WISH buds.

Bad storms went through here last night. We just had storms and strong winds but a lot of tornados real close. Within 30 miles 7 dead and millions in damage. Just south of us about 60 miles was many more deaths and lots more damage. There are a lot of trailer parks in this area due to lots of poverty and a trailer park tends to attract the darn things.

Have an awesome day y'all.

Stormy Panda:hippie:

I'm at work and saw the news and was wondering about you Dave. Clicked on to see if you were on the boards. What a mess. Thanfully you and Erica are under the radar!

Hope that's it for the storms.

denise

I'm at work and saw the news and was wondering about you Dave. Clicked on to see if you were on the boards. What a mess. Thanfully you and Erica are under the radar!

Hope that's it for the storms.

denise

Denise your's and the other Wishers concern warms my heart. I feel so blessed to be a part of this wonderful thing we have here.:love:

The area we live in usually misses the bad stuff, all around us got it much worse. We don't even get much snow but within 50 miles they get a lot.

Happy Panda:hippie:

I too am so glad to have a thread for walkers. I feel much more confident about entering the 15K after being on these boards and learning that it is perfectly okay to walk the entire thing. Also, all the little tips on warming up, proper shoes, etc., is a huge help.
2 days ago, I pushed myself too hard on a 6.2 mile walk and my shins and a hip were screaming at me during the last 3 and when I finished. I foolishly ran quite a bit of it because I was freezing (going into the wind) and just wanted to get it over. The good part was that from reading these boards I made myself cool my legs down with cool water first instead of hopping into a hot shower first thing.

The best to all of you.

Thanks everyone for your tips and encouragement. I'm definitely going to pass them on to my mom and her friend (and use them for me too!). My mom's friend, Betsy, is on a boat for a week. I told my mom she better call her and tell her to start circling the deck! :laughing:

As far as the back of the pack thing, I ran a half in December in preparation for Goofy. I was miserable the whole time- just one of those days. It was a down and back. Everyone around me had their iPods on and looked really grim. The walkers we eventually saw- totally different attitude. They looked like they were having a great time. I told my DH right after the race that I need to either get a lot faster so it's over with quicker, or I need to slow down to hang with the fun crowd! And I really don't care about getting faster, so save a spot for me at the back! :cool1:

Dave- glad you're ok!

While you are talking about shin splints, I have a similar problem. I hurt my leg in the full. I thought it was a classic IT band problem. It hurt on the side of my leg from about mid-thigh to upper calf. A week later, I found a huge knot in my calf about where the pain ended. I rubbed it out with my stick, but now everytime I try to run or walk too far, the knot comes back. How do I make it go away? It doesn't hurt too much walking yet, but I want it gone!

Jen in GA

Stacy - thanks, I'll check out Target (love that store) and runningwarehouse this week. Don't wanna chafe.:)

Jen: I would check it out with Dr. This is not normal and I would think that something is up. Just rather be safe than sorry.

Us walkers do have lots of fun out there. Have to since we are out there sooooo long:rolleyes1

Good Morning, Walkers!

Hi Everyone!

Yesterday was Xtrng for me, so I was on the stationary bike. I actually enjoyed it, which was kind of a surprise...today is my rest day, so I'm going to start my free weight program. Wish me luck! Terminator arms, here I come!(Don't tell me if you're too young to get that, please:rotfl: )

Robert -- From someone who is out there a really, really long time (yep, I'm a penguin), trust me, you are finishing quickly comparatively!:goodvibes

SamSam -- I actually like the workout clothes at Target. I find they have some great longer/looser shorts right now (pretty much short capris), and they were super comfortable. :cutie:

Jen in GA -- I love my ipod shuffle! I find it really does help move me along. That said, having a buddy is much more fun!:cool1:

Dave -- So very glad to hear you and Erica are safe. I used to live in Missouri, and I remember the tolls from a tornado, even if you aren't a direct victim :grouphug:

Denise -- How are the wedding plans coming? :lovestruc

Nancy -- That pump class sounds awesome! I bet it's worth the soreness!:dance3:

Kim -- You are going to have such a wonderful time! Just think sunshine and balmy breezes...:cloud9:

Connie -- So glad there is excellent news for dh! :thumbsup2

Margie -- Welcome! You will have fun with this thread. We're a little psychotic, but in a loving way...:rotfl2:

Ok, so here's my only contribution to walking comfortably long distances -- Bodyglide. It really helps my feet, and other areas that seem to come together...:scared1: No blisters or raw areas for me to date (knocks on wood).

Mariaprincess:

Dave -- Whew! Gald you're safe!

Steffwalks -- Yuo made me laugh out loud! The only problem with them using the library is I'd have to drive them there -- it's 7 miles away! :rotfl:

Maria -- I should own stock in Body Glide! Maybe better -- I should get paid for my endorsement of it. :) I love that stuff!

Good to hear from everyone!

Thanks, Everyone!

Both of the little ones are napping so I have a couple of moments :cool1:

Okay ... I love the back of the pack. I really like the 15 minute mile for the distance walks. I know it is sad, but I am content where I am.

But truly I was referring to being at the 'Back of the Pack' on a running thread. Runners have different goals, etc and yes, they are WAY faster on the road than me. :cheer2:

I am truly a FUN Walker...first I want to enjoy, stay healthy, no injuries, and finish the race. :cloud9:

Glad you and Erica are safe Dave! I looked at the map and did not think you guys were in the path or I would have called you! :goodvibes

We did not have any disaster. Currently we are getting sleet (all the schools are closed) they forecast 6-12 more inches of snow by noon tomorrow. I should be developing muscles somewhere shoveling this snow on an average of 4 hours a day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter