New Top of the World policy?

Reedy Creek would DEFINITELY enforce occupancy limits. It's possible it's been found out that TOWL has been exceeding those limits.

As for the buses, it's a different scenario. TOWL is at the top of a very tall building and one must think of how those folks would evacuate in case of an emergency and how long that would take. More people? More time. A bus has 2 doors that are used plus windows that can be pushed out to evacuate. And bus sits on the ground. No stairwells to navigate down multiple stories.

Anything is possible but I would think that since Reedy Creek and Disney are one in the same, they would handle the issue internally. The OP said that they looked in the window and the lounge was not that busy which leeds me to believe that there was a private party.

:earsboy: Bill

Anything is possible but I would think that since Reedy Creek and Disney are one in the same, they would handle the issue internally. The OP said that they looked in the window and the lounge was not that busy which leeds me to believe that there was a private party.

That is surely possible, disneynutz. :cutie: But Reedy Creek operates like any Fire Dept, they make their inspections regularly but their duties are vastly different than operating a resort and/or restaurant. Perhaps the night in question was a private party. Doubtful we will know for sure. :-)

Reedy Creek would DEFINITELY enforce occupancy limits. It's possible it's been found out that TOWL has been exceeding those limits.

As for the buses, it's a different scenario. TOWL is at the top of a very tall building and one must think of how those folks would evacuate in case of an emergency and how long that would take. More people? More time. A bus has 2 doors that are used plus windows that can be pushed out to evacuate. And bus sits on the ground. No stairwells to navigate down multiple stories.

They are not limiting downstairs, they are limiting going into the bar area.

FWIW I wish I had a picture of the occupancy sign as I know that I've looked at it. It wasn't a small number and I'd expect that as long as people were in comfortable standing room it would be within it. And the deck number is quite large although, again, I don't have a picture to show exactly what it is. Just think of a busy bar anywhere - it can be packed and the management will hope it is. The wording that it is something being tried by management is interesting. If it were occupancy then if that management were smart they would have the servers wandering outside as well to take orders.

f it were occupancy then if that management were smart they would have the servers wandering outside as well to take orders.

Now THAT is one of the most interesting points I have read on this thread! Wonder why they don't?

Not sure what you mean..... All I know is the place was packed to the gills when we were there recently and we couldn't even get service. They had a total of 3 people working, including behind the bar. Crazy. I don't know what the occupancy is, but I will surely look next time I'm out that way. :cutie:

Not sure what you mean..... All I know is the place was packed to the gills when we were there recently and we couldn't even get service. They had a total of 3 people working, including behind the bar. Crazy. I don't know what the occupancy is, but I will surely look next time I'm out that way. :cutie:

You were theorizing that it had to do with evacuation from up in the tower, if I understood correctly? Maybe I misunderstood your thought. But the OP said they just weren't allowed into the lounge to buy a beer - that they had to stay out on the deck. So, they had been allowed all the way up but couldn't go into the lounge itself.

If you are on the deck, or in the lounge, you are still using the same fire exit, so I doubt its a capacity issue...

FWIW I wish I had a picture of the occupancy sign as I know that I've looked at it. It wasn't a small number and I'd expect that as long as people were in comfortable standing room it would be within it. And the deck number is quite large although, again, I don't have a picture to show exactly what it is. Just think of a busy bar anywhere - it can be packed and the management will hope it is. The wording that it is something being tried by management is interesting. If it were occupancy then if that management were smart they would have the servers wandering outside as well to take orders.

I wish I too had taken a photo of the occupancy numbers. It seems to me the lounge was maybe 77 persons. Perhaps the numbers are based on seating as the walkways need to be clear for not only emergencies but for the waitstaff to deliver drinks. And the viewing area was around 300 persons.

How does ordering work in there? Is it walk up, order pay and tip like at Baseline Taphouse or if you take a seat will a CM take your order for food and drinks?

That is surely possible, disneynutz. :cutie: But Reedy Creek operates like any Fire Dept, they make their inspections regularly but their duties are vastly different than operating a resort and/or restaurant. Perhaps the night in question was a private party. Doubtful we will know for sure. :-)

Again I don't agree, the fire department does what Disney says, they don't allow them to be seen in public unless absolutely necessary, they don't draw attention by using their sirens unless they have to. Their response time may be longer because they use back roads, CM only back stage areas and passages to move to the incident area out of view of the guests. Disney is all about positive guest perception and they will often spin a negative to a positive or not tell you the truth at all.

If it were occupancy then if that management were smart they would have the servers wandering outside as well to take orders.

My guess is that Disney only leases the lounge area from the BLT owners so they can't conduct business on the viewing deck or it may be a liquor license issue and the deck would be considered off premises.

How does ordering work in there? Is it walk up, order pay and tip like at Baseline Taphouse or if you take a seat will a CM take your order for food and drinks?

You can walk up to the bar or take a seat and wait to be served. We find the service slow and not to Disney standards. As a server, you don't want to work there, short serving period, low tips. The best servers would want to work longer hours somewhere else where the big tippers hang out.

You can walk up to the bar or take a seat and wait to be served. We find the service slow and not to Disney standards. As a server, you don't want to work there, short serving period, low tips. The best servers would want to work longer hours somewhere else where the big tippers hang out.

Thanks!

You were theorizing that it had to do with evacuation from up in the tower, if I understood correctly?
If you are on the deck, or in the lounge, you are still using the same fire exit, so I doubt its a capacity issue...

That is correct, Kat4Disney. :cutie: No doubt the capacity is a good sized number for lounge and deck together, but there has to be a maximum occupancy number.

Again I don't agree, the fire department does what Disney says, they don't allow them to be seen in public unless absolutely necessary, they don't draw attention by using their sirens unless they have to. Their response time may be longer because they use back roads, CM only back stage areas and passages to move to the incident area out of view of the guests. Disney is all about positive guest perception and they will often spin a negative to a positive or not tell you the truth at all.

I am no expert, but I can tell you this, I went to work for Disney in the late 90's and worked for the company a long time. I can promise you that Reedy Creek calls the shots on safety issues and ANY issues that a fire dept. would. I have been present for fire inspections many times, and let me tell you, when the fire inspector speaks, all levels jump to do what is instructed. I know of no building that does not have maximum occupancy.

TOWL is an albatross of sorts as it is a "DVC space" though I don't think any of us know the legalities of the same. I sure don't. I agree the occupancy of the lounge itself and the deck area have to be 2 different numbers for a total of ??. And I for one, cannot say with certainty what the reason was the OP was denied lounge entrance. I do know it is a small space. :flower3:

We enjoy chatting with the staff there. One of the long-time servers indicated this was his 2nd job, hours were perfect for him as a side gig.

Tips may not be the same as the other dining establishments, they run on volume.

I’d like to think DVC members (despite our what I consider to be a collective but unfair ‘frugal’ reputation) don’t stiff the staff.:rolleyes1

even if you tell the CM that you are going to buy a drink and then leave, doesn't necessarily mean that you will. It's a lot easier to tell someone they can't come in because of capacity than to kick them after they make a purchase.

I for one would support the 1 person for every seat capacity. It does ruin the atmosphere when 10 people are standing in-between tables jockeying for position for the next table to pay their check. It also causes an unnecessary pressure on the customers to leave the table right after they settle up with the server.

even if you tell the CM that you are going to buy a drink and then leave, doesn't necessarily mean that you will. It's a lot easier to tell someone they can't come in because of capacity than to kick them after they make a purchase.

I for one would support the 1 person for every seat capacity. It does ruin the atmosphere when 10 people are standing in-between tables jockeying for position for the next table to pay their check. It also causes an unnecessary pressure on the customers to leave the table right after they settle up with the server.

Then they need to add more seats.

The long time food and beverage involvement of mine is just leaving me in disbelief of it all.

That is correct, Kat4Disney. :cutie: No doubt the capacity is a good sized number for lounge and deck together, but there has to be a maximum occupancy number.

Ok, I was misunderstanding and didn't realize you were not referencing the OP's post about not getting into the lounge to buy a drink when speaking about occupancy on a high tower and evacuation from it being the possibility.

Capacity isn't always about max seating capacity, if they are a good restaurant/bar they also have a maximum server/kitchen load too. If you're understaffed cutting back is how you maintain customer experience and quality.

I totally agree with that. I noticed when I've been that there have been 1 bartender with a manager helping and 2, sometimes 3, servers. I get it though. THey are probably completely empty up until fireworks, and then empty again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter