New to DVC but wondering about maximizing DDP when it comes back

It's convenient since it's a singular cost and done. No fuss or muss while on vacation. You don't need to worry about gift cards or anything like that. You just eat and keep track of credits.

Gift cards are a little pain since you have to make sure you get to the desk to pay before they charge you in the middle of the trip, there are thoughts of needing to compare food prices for some, and a sense you need to check your bill to not go over your food budget which can be daunting on a 7/8/9/10 day trip.
You can use Disney gift cards at restaurants.

You can use Disney gift cards at restaurants.

Okay? Except now you are accounting for how much money are on the gift cards.

Some of those who like the DDP like it because its a more simplified cost to the vacation, something easier to track, and disconnects the meal from actual costs.

Many people would save though by just charging to the room and then buying gift cards online once you know your bill every 3-4 nights.

Good advice. But people won't believe it because they say "It is so convenient".

Actually Starbucks $7 and up drinks can be purchased with a snack credit, which is pretty darn good!
I've never understood the "convenience" argument. How is using one's credit card or magic band to pay the amount owed any different than just paying the tip?

I've never understood the "convenience" argument. How is using one's credit card or magic band to pay the amount owed any different than just paying the tip?
It is not. People delude themselves about the dining plan, and don't care if it costs more. It "helps" them to treat themselves and "relax" on vacation.

Dining plan works for some but not others. Some people seem strongly opposed while others think the program is right for them. There is no one right/wrong view of dining plans. Depends on how/where you like to eat. If you do several character meals (which tend to be pricey), for example, it can be cost effective. Before Disney stopped the program, there were several options so you needed to choose the one that is right for your family.

No one on here knows if/when Disney will resume the dining plans and in exactly what format.

We always go with it so we don't have to worry ever about our food situation. We get the DxDP and we always made out well over $400 so it works for us

My experience with the DDP is you have to track how many dining points you have left, which is similar to having to track how much money is left on your gift card. Both are easy to see - your receipt will show how much is left. The difference is that with DDP you lose whatever you don't use. With a gift card, any amount leftover stays on the card and you can use on future trips, online purchases, etc.

I felt like I was having to make sure we used all of our credits on DDP to make sure we didn't waste any credits. We were ordering things we normally wouldn't get (extra snacks during the day), or getting dessert included at dinners when we were already full. I didn't feel like we saved any money and haven't bothered trying to pursue another DDP purchase since then... I stick to either gift cards or just charge to a secondary credit card that I pay off at the end of vacation.

Being DVC, if they ever bring it back, you are able to buy a Tables in Wonderland card, which always, always is more cost effective than the dining plan if you plan on doing mostly sit down/character meals. 20% off food and alcohol, but with a guaranteed 18% tip, at over 100 restaurants. It's a really good deal, which is why it's probably gone forever

I'm sure when they bring back the dining plan and charge $169 per day per person they will have plenty of takers.

The last time we got the meal plan we had a character meal heavy plan like the one you posted. It did work in our favor by a 2-3 hundred dollars over the course of a week. It's easy to work the math once we know how the DDP will be priced, because character meals are fixed costs. Just divide and see how the numbers work.

With that said, we spent a LOT of money on dining that year and it was a one time thing. Now we just book one character meal per trip and pay cash or gift card with the DVC discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter