New Security Bubble at MK?

I wish they had a separate security area for those people that bring large strollers loaded to the brim with everything but the kitchen sink. I carry one small bag that takes seconds to look in and have been stuck behind people that had several oversize bags, coolers, etc. I literally watched more than a dozen people pass through the line next to me just waiting for the security officer to finish with one stroller's contents.

We were at the world a couple of weeks ago and one of the parks (and I swear I can't remember which one) actually did have someone standing there telling people with strollers and wheel chairs to get in certain lines and people with just bags to get in others. I try to go bagless so I can't remember which it was, might have been the front gate of Epcot.

When DD was an infant and toddler, we always rented a stroller (the old metal ones) and everything we needed was in one diaper bag. We never went back to the hotel midday and so we had to be careful packing for the day. We did run out of diapers one day in Epcot but were able to buy what we needed in the child care facility. My complaint isn't about what most people bring in. A stroller with a child and a bag or backpack for the day is not a problem. The last time we were in MK, we got stuck behind a woman that had a double stroller loaded with 4 large backpacks and a cooler plus what she was carrying. We didn't see this until it was too late to change lines because her large and tall husband was behind her. The security guard was not pleased and we all wondered what she could possibly have in those bags that was needed for a day in the park. From what we saw, there was only one child with them.

I wish they had a separate security area for those people that bring large strollers loaded to the brim with everything but the kitchen sink. I carry one small bag that takes seconds to look in and have been stuck behind people that had several oversize bags, coolers, etc. I literally watched more than a dozen people pass through the line next to me just waiting for the security officer to finish with one stroller's contents.

Epcot has a wheels line now that strollers and wheelchairs go through. Magic does sometimes. And maybe DAK (but I usually only go in the last few hours when they've reduced lines).

If they have the setup where you walk through the scanner while they are checking the bag, then there will be a separate line.

For a while, MK had a 'small bags' line at the tables surrounding the no-bag entrance, but it's not an official thing anymore.

That wasn't were I was going...as I don't believe in the security much at all. It's off the street with no experience. Hopefully they've made steps to change that policy.

What I mean is that Disney holds no political value...which makes it not to interesting of a place to make a statement. And the high cost eliminates much of the random violence that their policy may actually deter or prevent.

Just my theories.

Disney is the living embodiment of the "American dream." To pull off an attack on something that represents so much to so many people around the world would be a major and I mean MAJOR achievement for certain groups. As someone who's city was attacked literally yesterday, please do not underestimate the value of something representative of a larger whole.

Disney is the living embodiment of the "American dream." To pull off an attack on something that represents so much to so many people around the world would be a major and I mean MAJOR achievement for certain groups. As someone who's city was attacked literally yesterday, please do not underestimate the value of something representative of a larger whole.

the things that are the subject to coordinated attacks in the US have been consistently representative of the projection of money overseas...it's not a coincidence even if we have had little discourse about it (that's by choice).

I think yesterday falls toward that category more than deranged violence...which the Orlando nightclub shooting really was. That does raise a lot of concern.

I've always doubted the effectiveness of disneys efforts because from firsthand experience security there was about "public perception" than putting skill to work.

They always really wanted to deter the shoplifters...they found it tedious, bad for PR, and expensive to actually catch them.

We were at the world a couple of weeks ago and one of the parks (and I swear I can't remember which one) actually did have someone standing there telling people with strollers and wheel chairs to get in certain lines and people with just bags to get in others. I try to go bagless so I can't remember which it was, might have been the front gate of Epcot.

I believe I recall wheel chairs and strollers being separated out on our way into EPCOT last summer.

I saw a security line at DHS a couple of years ago that was unbelievably long. Usually they aren't terribly bad, but this was insane. It was so long, I think I took a picture of it. Of course, I have no idea where that picture may be now lol.

When DD was an infant and toddler, we always rented a stroller (the old metal ones) and everything we needed was in one diaper bag. We never went back to the hotel midday and so we had to be careful packing for the day. We did run out of diapers one day in Epcot but were able to buy what we needed in the child care facility. My complaint isn't about what most people bring in. A stroller with a child and a bag or backpack for the day is not a problem. The last time we were in MK, we got stuck behind a woman that had a double stroller loaded with 4 large backpacks and a cooler plus what she was carrying. We didn't see this until it was too late to change lines because her large and tall husband was behind her. The security guard was not pleased and we all wondered what she could possibly have in those bags that was needed for a day in the park. From what we saw, there was only one child with them.

And let me guess -she got up to security and every single thing was still under the stroller or still hanging from it. It's not the number of bags or items, it's the people who don't do anything to help out the process and surprised that yes, even that diaperbag in the bottom of the stroller needs to be searched. We had a stroller, a backpack, and a small cooler. Every zipper was opened, every pocket unfastened, by the time we usually got in line. Then we'd be behind the person with 1 bag they dropped down on the counter, still zipped, buttoned, and clipped. Really people, it's not that hard!

Epcot has a wheels line now that strollers and wheelchairs go through. Magic does sometimes. And maybe DAK (but I usually only go in the last few hours when they've reduced lines).

If they have the setup where you walk through the scanner while they are checking the bag, then there will be a separate line.

For a while, MK had a 'small bags' line at the tables surrounding the no-bag entrance, but it's not an official thing anymore.

If we have a stroller, but no bag, we are still ok to bypass bag check, right? A couple bottles of water will be in the basket at the bottom of the stroller.

And let me guess -she got up to security and every single thing was still under the stroller or still hanging from it. It's not the number of bags or items, it's the people who don't do anything to help out the process and surprised that yes, even that diaperbag in the bottom of the stroller needs to be searched. We had a stroller, a backpack, and a small cooler. Every zipper was opened, every pocket unfastened, by the time we usually got in line. Then we'd be behind the person with 1 bag they dropped down on the counter, still zipped, buttoned, and clipped. Really people, it's not that hard!
Echo's my frustration at airports.

This so much. I do believe the security lines at WDW would move so much faster and be so much less painful if people were prepared by the time it was their turn for the bag check. How you can see everyone in front of you go through the same process and then be surprised that yes, you must do the same, boggles my mind.

If we have a stroller, but no bag, we are still ok to bypass bag check, right? A couple bottles of water will be in the basket at the bottom of the stroller.

Probably not because they usually like to check the basket of the stroller. You could ask.

I think the plan is great! I just wish they would handle it like at Disneyland Paris. They run your bags through a machine like at the airport and you walk through a detector as well! All and everyone is checked...then on to the fun!

Do you think they'll ever consider securing DS like Universal do with CityWalk? After all that shooting at DS, although fake, drama?

We plan on being hands free when we go. Granted, it would be nice to carry certain items, just don't want to wait in those lines.

I was at all four parks this week and believe the security check has become much more proficient. All pockets of knapsacks were being checked and all bags with strollers. The guy in front of me a Hollywood Studios had a big back pack and was stopped because he was found to be carrying pepper spray. Immediately security arrived to provide back-up to the bag checker. The line barely stopped while they processed this guy. Can't for the life of me think why a 55-60 year old would want to carry pepper spray into a theme park...

That wasn't were I was going...as I don't believe in the security much at all. It's off the street with no experience. Hopefully they've made steps to change that policy.

What I mean is that Disney holds no political value...which makes it not to interesting of a place to make a statement. And the high cost eliminates much of the random violence that their policy may actually deter or prevent.

Just my theories.
Not sure where you heard that Disney hires their security off the street without experience. Any time Disney is hiring security they are looking for people with prior military or security experience, usually with at least 2 to 4 years experience. Also, if someone were to want to attack, they wouldn't need to buy a ticket to get in, at least not with the way the bottleneck is, which is the main point of this thread and article.

I gotta ask: do you think there's much of a threat at WDW?

I don't...I think money insulates it from most of the threats...

But I do admit that after the nightclub shooting last year I'm far less convinced.

Just my theories.

I think WDW is a "great" target for terrorists. Think of the optics and headlines if a terrorist hit the place billed as the happiest place on Earth. They'd also get to strike people from all over the world

Not sure where you heard that Disney hires their security off the street without experience. Any time Disney is hiring security they are looking for people with prior military or security experience, usually with at least 2 to 4 years experience. Also, if someone were to want to attack, they wouldn't need to buy a ticket to get in, at least not with the way the bottleneck is, which is the main point of this thread and article.

$10 and hour is the going rate for "experienced" these days, huh?

...the beauty of Florida, I suppose...

I agree on the bottlenecks though...they should eliminate them...I'm just not sure they need them at all.

Yes you can. We do it all the time. They will peek under the bottom and in the canopies, but it's a quick process.

How does this work if you monorail from Epcot to MK to park hop? Do I have get screened again? I would assume so since anyone could theoretically get on the monorail from Epcot to TTC without actually getting screened at Epcot........

on the whole i like this. if anything the crush of people at MK entrance only makes the park MORE enticing to an attack, not less. Plus i would like to leave all the security stuff (and the rest of reality) behind when i get to MK. the security experience definitely detracts from that.

i take it these changes are MK only. nothing will change at the other parks?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter