New rules about transferring points question?

mochabean said:
Dean,
I agree with most of your logic, except this part:

If I was willing to rent on a limited basis before, I wouldn't think DVC would consider me a commerical renter, and so I would feel comfortable continuing to rent on a limited basis.
The reason I say this is many were very timid about it. And this situation creates and air of uncertainty and perceived risk that was not there previously. I agree I would look at it the way you are but I think many would just not fool with it no that might have been willing to reluctantly give it a try before. We shall see.
This may be a good thing in the long run. Here's why. Disney reserving high demand times with exchanged points makes them as much of a commerical renter as the commercial renters they are trying to stop. Even if point morphing and commercial renting ceased, Disney itself still has an impact on availability of high demand times due to the points it rents out at these times. If a higher point cost for exchanges significantly reduced the number of people willing to exchange, then Disney would have less points available to rent and would thus reserve less high demand time than it does now.
Maybe over time, but it would limit members choices.

ETA: A subset of members has shown no reason to think that the value, or lack of, of these cash equivalent exchange options has any bearing on their decisions and I think that group will grow under the current situation. Maybe you're giving many of them too much credit.

mello said:
We did a 60 point add on through Disney. We really wanted one contract, but wound up with a 35 and a 25 point contract. So I believe you're right that the same thing could happen with smaller amts of points too. We did specifically ask to be sure they could be combined for a single night, though. I was envisioning being a few points short with the small contract and not being able to book anything, but they assured us that when it's the same resort & use year and same umbrella contract you don't have to worry about transfers, the points are pooled, which is a very good thing, especially now.
Other than in a sale situation, points form a single home resort under one master contract, act s though they were one contract. Same for all points under one master at the 7 month window.

DVC can't combine points for resale into one UNLESS they are tied to the same unit and use year. But, as noted, they can break them up if they want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter