New RIV and SSR incentives

GRTripetsDad

Earning My Ears
Joined
Nov 28, 2020
Hi All,

First time posting an actual thread so sorry if I miss something. Been following the thread for a while now though and have taken so much value from this forum and its members. I just saw the new incentives posted for RIV and SSR. I have been wanting to add onto RIV for a while now but have mainly been considering resale add on as prices have been slowly dropping a bit. Really considering around 100 pts but can do 150 if the price is right/worth it. With an additional $1000 off for 150 points, is it a good time to buy? We have always been resale only and dont have direct (blue) cards but haven't seen massive value for what WE would use it for. We always say it never hurts though. I know its only an extra $1000 and it is still much cheaper resale, but $173 after MB doesn't sound bad with the uncertainty of restrictions in the future.

Please help.

Thank you!
 
Last edited:
I think even more important than the 1000 is the difference in incentive price from a 100 point contract to a 150 pt contract. If you're already a member you could even split it into 2 75s and etc. I wouldn't say it's an AMAZING deal but it's not a bad deal.

That being said, if you don't have an interest in VDH, Poly2 (potentially), CFW or RIV it's still a hard sell to buy direct currently over resale prices. I'd really only go for it if you actually wanted to own at RIV, otherwise I probably wouldn't. It's not a fire sale like VGF was.

Edit: Also if you don't actually like RIV that much, it makes you probably more inclined to sell once something you actually do like comes along and take the hit from the resale restrictions. So I stand by what I said before, I'd only buy it if you want to own there.
 
Last edited:
I think even more important than the 1000 is the difference in incentive price from a 100 point contract to a 150 pt contract. If you're already a member you could even split it into 2 75s and etc. I wouldn't say it's an AMAZING deal but it's not a bad deal.

That being said, if you don't have an interest in VDH, Poly2 (potentially) or RIV it's still a hard sell to buy direct currently over resale prices. I'd really only go for it if you actually wanted to own at RIV, otherwise I probably wouldn't. It's not a fire sale like VGF was.
Thank you @intamin Very sound advice. We do like RIV after a walk through last year and the location having access to an extra park that we currently don't have non-bus transport to. We would want to stay there and own there. After hearing it is just an OK deal, we might have to sit this one out and see what Poly2/RIV has to offer once Poly2 comes out. We really do like the location and Skyliner access that RIV offers though.
 
Thank you @intamin Very sound advice. We do like RIV after a walk through last year and the location having access to an extra park that we currently don't have non-bus transport to. We would want to stay there and own there. After hearing it is just an OK deal, we might have to sit this one out and see what Poly2/RIV has to offer once Poly2 comes out. We really do like the location and Skyliner access that RIV offers though.
I just added on more RIV on top of my original 150 at RIV recently. I know I didn't get the best deal on it but if you're comfortable with the price and it's where you want to stay then it's worth considering. I like diversifying based on location as well so idk personally if you already own at Poly I'd consider RIV for closer Epcot/HS access. But if you're not in a rush for points, I'd wait til Poly 2 goes on sale, I think this price for RIV will be around for awhile.
 


Thank you @intamin Very sound advice. We do like RIV after a walk through last year and the location having access to an extra park that we currently don't have non-bus transport to. We would want to stay there and own there. After hearing it is just an OK deal, we might have to sit this one out and see what Poly2/RIV has to offer once Poly2 comes out. We really do like the location and Skyliner access that RIV offers though.
Poly2 probably won’t come online until late next year.

If you like RIV and want to stay there, which it sounds like you do, in 2024 then go for it!
 
I think if you take advantage of the MB program and can get the 150 down to $173, it’s a great deal, assuming you want to stay there and all future resorts.

Resale, while cheaper, means only RIV.
 
Hi,

Since I'm a huge fan of Riviera, I think this is great time to buy...especially when you add MB into the equation.

Question, however. If I currently have a DVC contract with a February UY, if I bought 150 points between 1/1/24 and 1/31/24 would DVC add an extra years worth of 2023 points into my account? If the answer to that question is yes, then would DVC allow me to sell back both 23 and 24 points?

Thanks in advance for those in the 'know'.
 


Hi,

Since I'm a huge fan of Riviera, I think this is great time to buy...especially when you add MB into the equation.

Question, however. If I currently have a DVC contract with a February UY, if I bought 150 points between 1/1/24 and 1/31/24 would DVC add an extra years worth of 2023 points into my account? If the answer to that question is yes, then would DVC allow me to sell back both 23 and 24 points?

Thanks in advance for those in the 'know'.
You would receive the 2023 points and you can sell back these points. You would not be able to sell back 2024 poimts. You must also sell the points back 4(someone correct me if this number is wrong) days or more before the end of the UY to be eligible for magical beginnings so Disney can use them
 
Hi All,

with the uncertainty of restrictions in the future.

Please help.

Thank you!
What uncertainty of restrictions are you referencing? I don't think anyone asked about that?

Overall it sounds like you'd want the points to stay at RIV. Resale will do that And you aren't concerned about benefits that come with a blue card so again, resale fits. My question is then what uncertainty is making you consider paying in the range of $50/pt more? That's $5-7.5K more than resale.
 
Last edited:
You would receive the 2023 points and you can sell back these points. You would not be able to sell back 2024 poimts. You must also sell the points back 4(someone correct me if this number is wrong) days or more before the end of the UY to be eligible for magical beginnings so Disney can use them


Correct. MB program required you agree at least 4 days before the end of the UY.
 
I saw this article and was a little confused about it. This thread indicates this is a pretty good deal for direct Riviera points, but this article linked says it is a worse deal than previous quarter. I know the deals in the summer (also when VGF was having the big fire sale) were better, but is this deal worse than the most recent deal offered?
Over the summer they had 2 resorts to sell… now they only have 1 and the article believes it will be the only one built at Epcot for a long time because of the trend to add on to current resorts instead of starting from scratch.

So, my read on the article is that at this time the incentives are a good deal because they may not get any better in the future.

I also look at the opportunity cost of waiting and having to pay out of pocket for another hotel stay in 2024 (and maybe even into 2025 depending on when you travel) for Poly2 IF you are someone like the OP who seems to really like RIV.
 
I think if you take advantage of the MB program and can get the 150 down to $173, it’s a great deal, assuming you want to stay there and all future resorts.

Resale, while cheaper, means only RIV.
Good point about resale only being restricted to RIV. While I did know that, I kind of spaced that if we go direct, we can at least use the points at other resorts if need be. We really do think we would use primarily at RIV but having an option never hurts!
 
What uncertainty of restrictions are you referencing? I don't think anyone asked about that?

Overall it sounds like you'd want the points to stay at RIV. Resale will do that And you aren't concerned about benefits that come with a blue card so again, resale fits. My question is then what uncertainty is making you consider paying in the range of $50/pt more? That's $5-7.5K more than resale.
HI @KAT4DISNEY! thank you for your response. I was speaking about the uncertainty of new resorts in the future all becoming restricted from resale bookings like RIV is. Maybe I missed something there so apologies if I did.
 
Interesting... maybe it does mean what we are seeing now might be in the better (not fire sale status better) offers we will see.... hmmm
The best time to buy in was yesterday (figuratively speaking). If you like the resort which it seems like you do and are in a financial position to be able to buy it I think its as good of a time as any to buy. Disney doesn’t seem incentivized to do a fire sale like they did with VGF. Also small perk but it may also make you eligible to go to some moonlight magic events next year. There’s also a small ego boost knowing you aren’t being excluded from any events and are a full fledged member. I know these are poor reasons to buy direct compared to the savings of resale but if you want to own RIV anyways, might as well become a direct member.
 
I saw this article and was a little confused about it. This thread indicates this is a pretty good deal for direct Riviera points, but this article linked says it is a worse deal than previous quarter. I know the deals in the summer (also when VGF was having the big fire sale) were better, but is this deal worse than the most recent deal offered?
I'm not sure what the current incentive is but i bought in the fall. Here's my total:

150 points x $217 = $32,550

- $1,085 (5 points free)

- $1,500 (current incentive)

- $1,500 (welcome home - had an upcoming reservation)

- $22 x 150 points = $3,300 (magical beginnings)

$25,165 = $167/point

So if it comes out to $173/point now before closing costs, then it is not as good of a deal but not that much of a difference.

You also need to factor in closing costs. I broke my contract up into two 75 point contracts, so I also paid $952.66 ($476.33 for each contract x 2) in closing costs.
 
Not a great analogy… but I feel like this is kind of like buying a house in 2017… prices weren’t as good as in 2009 or even 2016…. but they did not get any better and you were still paying for rent while you waited for a better deal… what actually happens in the future… who knows!
 
I'm not sure what the current incentive is but i bought in the fall. Here's my total:

150 points x $217 = $32,550

- $1,085 (5 points free)

- $1,500 (current incentive)

- $1,500 (welcome home - had an upcoming reservation)

- $22 x 150 points = $3,300 (magical beginnings)

$25,165 = $167/point

So if it comes out to $173/point now before closing costs, then it is not as good of a deal but not that much of a difference.

You also need to factor in closing costs. I broke my contract up into two 75 point contracts, so I also paid $952.66 ($476.33 for each contract x 2) in closing costs.
Seems like it's gotten slightly worse with each round of incentives. You got your 150 for 167 per point, I bought 185 (fixed week 135 + 50) for 169 per point and this one is a little bit above that at 173.
 

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!




Latest posts










Top