New Monorail Fleet Ordered?

I would wager a lot of it has to do with fitting the train to the existing beams.....
Yes, there are very few companies in the world currently marketing transit scale Alweg type monorails, and none of them are making trains that fit Disney's beam width. Disney needs to find someone willing to custom build the trains at a cost Disney can live with. Their options are severely limited.
I would say that Disney did their diligence and will have contract with whomever they have selected with a penalty clause for non performing.
I agree. Today's Disney is very bottom line focused, and they have a history of going after vendors who don't meet commitments. I expect they will incorporate into the contract some provisions that would be very painful if the supplier fails to deliver.

It is true Bombardier isn’t the best but Bombardier has a relationship with Disney as they built the current trains.
I’m curious as to who the top name in monorail design is currently. And who even regularly makes trains (bombardier and Siemens are the only two who come to mind)

I’m curious as to who the top name in monorail design is currently. And who even regularly makes trains (bombardier and Siemens are the only two who come to mind)
Bombardier is the top monorail company right now as far as I know. Siemens isn't really a monorail company, Siemens does a ton of different things. Bombardier focuses on transportation systems in rail and aerospace.

Bombardier is the top monorail company right now as far as I know. Siemens isn't really a monorail company, Siemens does a ton of different things. Bombardier focuses on transportation systems in rail and aerospace.
Yeah I wasn’t sure because there’s not a whole lot of public monorail lines (I think Brazil and India have recently opened new ones). It’s not exactly a massive business

I think Hitachi is the biggest name in Alweg systems. They built many of the systems in Japan, and opened a system as recently as 2015 in South Korea. They inherited patents and technology from Alweg.

Don't forget the snow mobiles and jet ski's........

So there is a bunch of things flying around with design of the new monorails, whether they will have a new look, or just be updated on the inside, and try to keep a close look a like to what you have now. Personally it would be great if they did the new modern look because they could 1) look futuristic 2) be themed to Tron and 3) maybe add outside streams of color lit bars, instead of the conventional painted stripes. At night the monorails would look unique, and unlike any other transportation vehicles, on and off property. Just throwing my opinion out there.

Last edited:

So there is a bunch of things flying around with design of the new monorails, whether they will have a new look, or just be updated on the inside, and try to keep a close look a like to what you have now. Personally it would be great if they did the new modern look because they could 1) look futuristic 2) be themed to Tron and 3) maybe add outside steams of color lit bars, instead of the conventional painted stripes. At light the monorails would look unique, and unlike any other transportation vehicles, on and off property. Just throwing my opinion out there.
I like the idea of lighting on the outside as long as it is done properly.

This isn't monorail-specific, but recently while driving through New England, we saw a flat-bed truck carrying an Atlanta MARTA train. That was weird.

So there is a bunch of things flying around with design of the new monorails, whether they will have a new look, or just be updated on the inside, and try to keep a close look a like to what you have now. Personally it would be great if they did the new modern look because they could 1) look futuristic 2) be themed to Tron and 3) maybe add outside streams of color lit bars, instead of the conventional painted stripes. At night the monorails would look unique, and unlike any other transportation vehicles, on and off property. Just throwing my opinion out there.

LED panels on the outsides would be AWESOME !

This isn't monorail-specific, but recently while driving through New England, we saw a flat-bed truck carrying an Atlanta MARTA train. That was weird.
Could that have been for movie production?

Although typically Atlanta is portraying everywhere else.

Any update or news about the new monorails?

Any update or news about the new monorails?

Spoke to a CM yesterday working the monorails. He stated that just because Gurr stated a contract for monorails is complete(?), not to take it as 100% fact. He also stated he has heard nothing of a new order (but this could all be posturing).

I suspect there is a gag order.

Spoke to a CM yesterday working the monorails. He stated that just because Gurr stated a contract for monorails is complete(?), not to take it as 100% fact. He also stated he has heard nothing of a new order (but this could all be posturing).

I suspect there is a gag order.
A general monorail CM wouldn’t have knowledge of behind the scenes workings.

These things take time unfortunately and as far as I know it’s still moving forward.

Recently, there was a very speculative report that potentially a single Mark VIII might be showcased during the 50th. I don't put much faith in that, but....

Looking at their Q1 2019 Transportation sector report, there is some interesting verbiage.

"North America - The order volume in North America declined compared to the same quarter last year, due to a large contract for metro trains which was awarded during the first quarter of 2018 for the City of New York. During the first quarter of 2019, a large contract was secured for commuter and regional trains in New Jersey, along with orders awarded in the services and signalling segments, mainly in the U.S.

https://ir.bombardier.com/modules/m...15/Bombardier-Quarterly-Report-Q1-2019-en.pdf

I'm not quite so sure why you think that verbiage means anything in regards to new Monorails for WDW, it could apply to almost any place equally. I believe that thinking that means anything regards to Disney would just be extremely speculative thinking.

I'm not quite so sure why you think that verbiage means anything in regards to new Monorails for WDW, it could apply to almost any place equally. I believe that thinking that means anything regards to Disney would just be extremely speculative thinking.

Actually, it does show that there are transport orders which have been secured for the services sector in Q1/19 by the supplier of the current monorail. It does not mean Disney necessarily, but is in the N.A. market (not anyplace equally).

While I think Disney needs to do something to update or upgrade the degrading monorails, I don’t think that quote from bombardier points to a Disney order. That quote was more talking about an order to service and update signaling on already installed trains and lines. Most likely something in NYC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!