New MK Paid Disney After Hours Event Announced

When I went during Christmas, the most crowded time of the year, they were nearly nonexistent. Magic Kingdom, which normally does two or three during that week hosted one - on December 30th when it's imperative to host them.

I agree with the averages and on paper it may seem like it's no that bad, but trust me it was noticeable.

Good point. It could be argued that the ticket prices increases are Disney's attempt to find equilibrium on supply and demand. As much as I hate those increases, I still pay for those tickets. This, however... I can't see any world where I would pay for this.

I suppose it's the same deal as the Poly bungalows. These just aren't aimed at my family.

From what I hear those bungalows aren't selling very well.

Over the year I have seen money grab after money grab. These caused us to cancel our upcoming trip in June, and also move our Disney cruise over the RCL (and got a 2 bedroom suite for almost the same price as a regular verandah room). This new little money grab, well, it they end up getting rid of evening EMH- we are done. I rented my DVC points this year and if over the year we see EMH going away, we will be putting our contract up for sale.

So disappointed in all of this. It really does make me feel ill.

And I hate it. I made a post before being directed here.

I work in advertising. We're taught to seek out the "USP" or unique selling point for our clients and use that to advertise it. Disney's USP used to be a laundry list. The transportation, the EMH, the meal plan, the resorts, the theming, etc. Over time, it's become the theming of the resorts and the EMH. Those are the main selling points to staying on-site. For guests like my family who don't spend a ton of time at the resort, why pay $300 or $400 or $800 a night when it doesn't earn us any perks? We can stay at a nearby hotel for a fraction of the cost.

If I sound bitter it's because I am. I love Disney and I've been okay with most of the changes. This is one that I'm not okay with (pure speculation.) My sister and I have had some of our best talks and memories roaming MK at 2am. We were deprived of that last trip and certainly won't be paying $150 to do it next trip (again, speculation.) For that cost, we'll buy a bunch of alcohol and have a true heart to heart.

Perhaps this is their attempt to determine a dollar value for EMH. We know we're already paying a premium to stay at a WDW hotel. They're only trying this for a few nights to see how many people will buy tickets. If they sell out, they can say, "Hey Disney hotel guests, this EMH perk is worth $150." And that gives them justification to raise hotel prices for everyone, because that value is built into the nightly price.

I don't like it, but can't blame Disney at all for doing this. To me the blame lies with any of us who paid hundreds of dollars to have their kid made over into a princess/knight/pirate, or for low quality cupcakes during fireworks, or college kids dressed in a rare costume, etc. The list goes on. We have agreed to pay a lot of money for things over the years so why does Disney think we'll balk at this?

So which do you think will be more crowded-? any guesses?

a wed night (9-11, EMH to 1) or a thur with 9-11 with the extra event goers coming at 7?

This is my big ? I am trying to decide if I should try and rework plans, only a few weeks out-going week of 5/15.

We have normally avoided the EMH nights due to crowds so Thur was our scheduled MK day.

From what I hear those bungalows aren't selling very well.

On the latest Jim Hill podcast, he and Len Testa said they're at about 40% occupancy. Not great, especially compared with the rest of WDW, but when you're making that much money per night, maybe Disney's okay with it? I dunno.

My response to this was very similar to most of at first glance. "This is insane, they better have some super rare characters, free food, extra parade running, etc"

Then I stopped to think and realized that there ARE people out there who will shell out this cash, and they will go, experience it and enjoy it. And because of those people shelling it out, Disney is going to be making the money that they NEED to build back up from all these budget cuts! There's been more than just ent. cuts, earlier closing hours, etc, cm's who are working part time are not getting scheduled a SINGLE shift because of it, that's a whole lot worse for someone who's already living under minimum wage standards. If these events get enough revenue for the part time cm's to actually get some work, or better, that and bring back some of the other budget cuts, then it's gonna be worth it.

maybe it's just because I own horses but I'm used to shelling out large sums of money for basically useless things, so $150 for something that might be fun or let me take a photo with the hitchhiking ghosts seems fun to me.
Whatever floats your boat. And maybe it's because I own 7 horses, and own a farm where i board and care for 30 that We don't have the kind of money to spend on something basically useless (or that used to be included with my resort stay).

I went to the Dvc event and it almost exactly what it was. The event was fun but not worth that kind of money (that they are asking for this). 7 mines train wait was still over 45 minutes during the event and meet n greets were long too depending on the character. Tiana was an hour. Some other stuff was walking or under 15. We waited 40 for Peter Pan. Just giving you an idea of our experience during the DVC party so you are informed as to what you might be buying.

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed waits that long. That stinks.

This is definitely not something I'm interested in doing. I am curious to see what the response to this event is? It doesn't bother me that they do this, because I have a choice on whether I want to pay the money or not. What will bother me is if it eliminates extra magic hours. I guess we all just sit back and watch and wait now.

This is us too. I wouldn't pay that much for this experience. I don't care if other people do, 3-5 hours in the MK with free ice cream and soda is not worth $150 to me. That is more than a day ticket for way less time. I get that it is a limited number of guests, but wow, just wow. That is about twice the cost of a party ticket. At least with the parties, you get a special parade and fireworks as well as special characters meets.

As others have pointed out, I wonder how this effects those who enjoy the shorter waits at night. There are some who swear that you can get as much done in the last three hours as you can in the first three hours of the day at RD. With these "privileged few" coming through the doors at 7, will that effect that strategy? If it does, then Disney is taking some of the experience for those and selling it to others....With small kids we don't value the late hours much, but I don't want those people switching over to my early mornings! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter