• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Look for Magicbands is official!

Do you think it appears larger than a wristwatch, for example? I guess if it's lightweight like the new design of the MB's then it wouldn't impact life too much. I thought I saw pucks, or read about it anyway, where they were going to have the time on them, so it would be like wearing a watch. I don't wear watches often, but maybe this was designed to fit more like a watch.

Imo, the risk is probably the same or less as the current design.
I'm copying my response to mikepizzo:

I have small wrists..so not only is weight a concern but also having the sides be like a large watch.....which I don't buy because of my wrists. Any watches I've had in the past have been much smaller ones which usually require 2 or 3 links to be removed.

I haven't worn a watch in years but that's just because I've been using my cell phone as my watch.

Basically for my husband this puck would be perfectly fine I'm sure (and he loves to wear watches) as he has larger wrists. But for me it would not. It is hard to say now without having enough diverse people wearing them so I can't say that my concern is necessarily the same as others. It would be interesting to see how children like them, how people who have smaller wrists like them, how people who are used to wearing things that are around the same size feel about them, people who have larger wrists, people who have gotten used to the current design , etc.

I do know that some people have had issues with their current magicbands staying on but my thought was more along the lines of the puck just flying out when on a ride. rteez however advised it has screws, which is interesting to say the least. On the one hand it allows for more security of it staying in on the other it doesn't make it as easy to switch them out.

For those that don't understand how this technology works, the battery is ONLY used for "distant" things like ride photos. When you scan the band to go on a ride or pay, the battery is not used. Thus, any band will work basically forever for paying and going on rides, but not for on-ride photos or other "distant" uses.

I don't mind wearing the MB, as a matter of fact I prefer it instead of having to dig around and pull something out of a pocket but the new design worries me a little. Like the previous poster, I have a tiny wrist, not just around the wrist but the surface of my wrist. I do like the idea of being able to swap out, I stopped getting new bands a long time ago since I had two of every color. I actually went through my account before my last trip and deactivated one of each color and threw those puppies in the trash (believe me I checked the SN's on the back of the bands against MDE 4 times before I actually tossed them). I don't even mind having a different color puck than band, I like mixing colors any way.

Looks pretty cool! I wonder when they'll officially roll out. The only slight (and extremely first world) problem for me is that I like to wear my apple watch and magic band on the same wrist, and with wider new magic bands, doesn't look like that will be too comfortable. Oh well!

For those that don't understand how this technology works, the battery is ONLY used for "distant" things like ride photos. When you scan the band to go on a ride or pay, the battery is not used. Thus, any band will work basically forever for paying and going on rides, but not for on-ride photos or other "distant" uses.

And I'm assuming this issue can be alleviated by having a "current" band or puck in your pocket? So that I could use (for example) a gen1 magic band 5 years from now to get into the park and fastpasses, then use whatever current gen magic band exists to capture my ride photos?

Or maybe I'm not understanding.

I also have a very small wrist but as long as its not much bigger than the 38mm Apple Watch, it should be fine. What I am wondering is if they'd provide these bands for free right away with reservations or not until current stock is depleted. If one likes the current design, I see no reason to change over unless you're forced to.

I'm copying my response to mikepizzo:

I have small wrists..so not only is weight a concern but also having the sides be like a large watch.....which I don't buy because of my wrists. Any watches I've had in the past have been much smaller ones which usually require 2 or 3 links to be removed.

I haven't worn a watch in years but that's just because I've been using my cell phone as my watch.

Basically for my husband this puck would be perfectly fine I'm sure (and he loves to wear watches) as he has larger wrists. But for me it would not. It is hard to say now without having enough diverse people wearing them so I can't say that my concern is necessarily the same as others. It would be interesting to see how children like them, how people who have smaller wrists like them, how people who are used to wearing things that are around the same size feel about them, people who have larger wrists, people who have gotten used to the current design , etc.

I do know that some people have had issues with their current magicbands staying on but my thought was more along the lines of the puck just flying out when on a ride. rteez however advised it has screws, which is interesting to say the least. On the one hand it allows for more security of it staying in on the other it doesn't make it as easy to switch them out.

I share your concerns about the watch issue. Since dropping 150+ lbs, these are new problems I am learning about. I have to have links removed as well from my watches and I generally just dislike them, but for some reason I never had an issue wearing my band. However, I am hopeful that I can use the puck like you do the new car fobs where you wouldn't actually have to wear anything and could have them in your pocket like keys. I am very interested in the new keychain design if they work like that. Hopefully, the keychain idea will solve the issue for you. Do you think it would?

I share your concerns about the watch issue. Since dropping 150+ lbs, these are new problems I am learning about. I have to have links removed as well from my watches and I generally just dislike them, but for some reason I never had an issue wearing my band. However, I am hopeful that I can use the puck like you do the new car fobs where you wouldn't actually have to wear anything and could have them in your pocket like keys. I am very interested in the new keychain design if they work like that. Hopefully, the keychain idea will solve the issue for you. Do you think it would?
The key chain idea would likely work for that part. It was just I don't want to carry that around like that. That is an alternative for sure but it would end up on the rental car keys and my husband would be carrying that. I'm not so certain he would want to be saddled with that in his pocket all the time. We don't bring big bags into the parks. We bring a small bag that is for scubba diving (although our phones will be bigger than last time so we might have to buy a slightly larger size because both phones won't fit in the smaller bag). If we're going on a water ride then the keys would go in that bag which clutters it up if you've got key chains to put in there too and I doubt we would want to just carry the puck around. For us I could totally see us losing it if it was by itself but that's just us.

I think Disney is trying to tap into making it so people can choose how they want to utilize the mickey head part so to speak. Some people will love the hands free don't have to wear it all the time idea and some people like me will not. There is no doubt that with having a removable (well sorta if its held with screws) part will create a lot of options for individual customization.

Maybe by the time I'll go there might be a better option (as far as holding the puck) that works out for me so who knows.

Well, that kinda sucks. Maybe they'll have some type of kit you can purchase that you can keep handy.

I'd bet any small watch/electronics screwdriver set would be fine since it looks like a phillips head screw. Between now and Christmas is a great time to purchase a set like this plus it's incredibly useful for all those other battery operated devices too.

Perhaps I will feel differently once I've used one but at this moment I think its an extremely dumb idea.
I like the magic bands just they way they are.
I don't want to look like I'm wearing a full on watch now.
And I like wearing the magic band so using it as a key chain is not much better.
Also I wonder how often people are going to lose them out of the bands or just out of a pocket.

And I'm assuming this issue can be alleviated by having a "current" band or puck in your pocket? So that I could use (for example) a gen1 magic band 5 years from now to get into the park and fastpasses, then use whatever current gen magic band exists to capture my ride photos?

Probably - the Mickey heads and hotel door locks actually power part of the band through induction (like tap-to-pay credit cards, some mass transit cards, building access fobs, etc). The on-ride photo tagging part (eg 7DMT) uses a battery-powered long-range radio.

If Disney replaces the Mickey stanchions it's possible your old band will no longer be valid, but the RFID protocol they use is (a) stable and (b) doesn't need much of an upgrade for what it's used for.

You'd think since Disney and Apple are so friendly they would do that. Hopefully soon. I have the original Apple Watch but at eyeing up that series 2 watch.

The success of swappable bands on an Apple Watch (I have, uh, 5?) probably helped drive this change; too bad about the screws though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter