New Guide/Secrets of UO book? Is there a market for an employee view?

GuestServicesMonkey

Earning My Ears
Yes, there is one big UO tourist book. I am not impressed as an employee. I am considering writing a new book with the 'real deal' as seen by an employee who actually has access to other employees for knowledge, lore and information.

I think a good time to publish would be a few months prior to the launch of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter as there will be an upsurge in people coming to Universal Orlando.

Do you think this has potential? After all, people buy 'that' damn book so why not a new one which actually is written by employees with a full website and... perhaps, forums. Tho I think I'd rather leave that to ya'll than start ANOTHER forum about this.

For those who have read the 'guide' thus far, are you happy with it? What do you think it needs more or less of?

Do you value an employees unadulterated opinion even if they are trying to be positive about rides they don't like? I certainly don't want this to be a fanbook of UO, but I also don't want to slag on attractions that I don't like personally, but if writing a book about UO, you kinda have to be positive about the attractions, but reasonably so. Perhaps comments from real people about how good or bad a ride is so people can judge for themselves?

Would you be interested in a DVD guide to attractions with some on-ride cams?

An employee has the resources and contacts to make a real and true "guide to UO".

I just need to know if there is a market for it, which I know there is, but what would make you decide to buy the current guide versus an 'employee' guide?

This is all about gathering information from people who have bought the book and your experiences, positive or negative from it.

I hope to learn from ya'll a bit about what you like and what you didn't.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

I've gotten Kelly's book and enjoyed it. Learned some things here and there. It is a good travel guide for tourist and occasional visitors.

There's always room for another travel guide, but what would the difference be with a guide from an employee point of view? There's only so much information most visitors want to know... fans want to know as much as the can. Personally, I'd love a fan guide that had a lot of behind the scenes information.

Most tourists just want to have an idea of what to expect, what they shouldn't miss, how to avoid crowds, how much walking there is, and where they can eat.

Anyway I want subscribe to this thread and see what comes up.

I like the Birnbaum book because it supposedly is done by people who have to experience all of the good with the bad about Disney. Like how long to stand in lines, get reservations.

You might have a market, but people really want to know about attractions from a visitors point of view.

Like this forum--we get the know from other people who have been there done that.:)

But...it takes 9 nos (sp?) to get a yes.:laughing:

Good luck.

i'm not impressed with the travel books on universal that are out there now.

i see too many errors in some of them.

there isn't enough depth in some of them either.

they might be acceptable for newbies to a park but for regular goers, they miss the mark.

i'm always open for a "new book" to come out for UO.

gsm,when do you want my do and don't lists.........? haha......
one tip, don't generalize, be specific in the overview of the rides/attractions, etc.

Yes, there is one big UO tourist book. I am not impressed as an employee.
Have you read Kelly Monaghan's guide book or just some of the others? Kelly's book has lots of feedback and information from team members, I can assure you of that. ;) His book is here: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Orl...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231691307&sr=1-1

You could write a book from the perspective of a team member as several Disney castmembers have done, but most likely your status would change to an ex-employee as theirs did, because you agreed to a confidentiality agreement when you were hired.

You could write a book from the perspective of a team member as several Disney castmembers have done, but most likely your status would change to an ex-employee as theirs did, because you agreed to a confidentiality agreement when you were hired.
That's what I was thinking. I think it would interesting to hear from a TM's point of view but certainly don't do anything that's going to jeopardize your job...those are too hard to find nowadays.

Hey, Guestservicesmonkey, I am a fellow writer! Come over to the Absolute Write forums at http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/ info. on the business end of things (getting an agent, writing proposals, etc.). My screen name there is the same as here.

I just sold my first book this year, but it's not a theme park guidebook. I have two ideas for two very unique Disney guides, but thus far I've struck out with those because there are a very limited amount of publishers who publish theme park guides. USF has less out there about it, but you'll still have to target publishers carefully and really make your proposal shine. You may want to start out with some magazine articles and build up a clip file to add to your credibility with agents and publishers. I actually didn't have an agent for my first book...I managed to sell it myself.

Good luck!

Hey, Guestservicesmonkey, I am a fellow writer! Come over to the Absolute Write forums at http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/ info. on the business end of things (getting an agent, writing proposals, etc.).

Inkkognito has some great points on how to get started. As far as websites and articles, there are also several ideas at http://www.ioacentral.com It is run and owned by a former team member who also worked in the same position you work at Universal. He knows the parks inside and out.

another fan of Kelly's book:thumbsup2 , great for 1st timer especially

ordered his sea world one, enjoying it now:goodvibes ; trying to work it in this year to check out new coaster:woohoo:

my 2 cents...there is a fine line between being objective and jaded, reviewing attractions especially is very subjective...not like hotels, etc. wherein established standards make it easy to sift thru the different takes

Speaking as a travel guide addict, I love any and all guides. Love them- love them - love them!! I'm reading the 2009 Kelley's guide now (I also own 2008, yep I'm one of those ;) )

I would be interested in a guide with an "insider's view" as long as it was honest without being too negative.

P.S. I'm still waiting for Mac's guide to come out..... I think I'm on the list for two autographed copies! :lmao:

I like Kelly's guide. I think there is a big difference between a "guide" and a "commentary" or a "blog / editorial". Sounds like you intend to do the later.

I prefer the guide, and after i visit i will provide my own editorial. It means only something to me until i share my thoughts. Once i share my thoughts, others, after they visit can agree or disagree. If enough agree then i can start a political party! oops went to far with that one. :cool2:

There is nothing like bieng A entrepreneur.You never know it could make you rich!!Best case sceniro of coarse!!Or you can go bust on it.There is know telling..But alot of peeps dont know about these boards,or Universal..Alot of peeps know Disney tho!!There is another side of Orlando to explore!!

Good luck if you take that leap..:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter