NEW food TSA rules coming soon. Sometimes already in effect in Orlando.

I don't know if all airports have pre-check, but I have seen it at all of the airports I have been. It's been worth it for us though.

Not all airports have pre-check. From what i've seen, the smaller airports don't have the TSA manpower to have a precheck lane. My local airport doesn't have pre check.

One airport I went through - Wichita Falls, Texas - the TSA agents did double duty. The first scanned all the checked bags. After they were finished, then they manned the security checkpoint allowing people to go to the gate.

So we flew to LA this weekend from Philly. We were told to take out our foods in both airports. Our flight from Philly was at 5 AM and the TSA line was backed up fairly long for how few people were there. 20 minute wait to get your ID checked then another 20+ to go through the scanners. Not HORRIBLE, but still fairly long for them at that time of day. It doesn't help that PHL is doing something different with their terminals lately. American Airlines goes through several of the terminals now, at least A, B, and C. C is now Pre-check only and only open during certain hours. Sure, B and C are directly connected, but annoying when our flights to Orlando are always the furthest possible gate in the C terminal and it is a bit of a walk from B's TSA to the end of C. We were told that if we wanted to walk down to the A terminal (usually international flights) there was little-to-no line there. Walked down and were through within 10 minutes. No foods with us on the way out.

We were at the John Wayne Int'l airport in LA. Foods out there as well, but they didn't make us separate everything we were having scanned separately into different bins according to what type of item it was like Orlando had us do. A lady behind us only had to use a few because she just had so much stuff. We were in and out there fairly quickly too. BF had a bag of M&M'S so he had to get that checked but they had 2-3 people checking foods so it was pretty fast.

They had us do this at LAX last month heading home from DLR. But they were clear about it and kept the lines moving.

Over here in the UK, we have had to take all electrical items larger than a phone (laptop, ipad, tablet, hair straighteners etc) and put them in a separate bin than our bag. They haven't moved onto checking food like this. I guess we all want to stay safe in the air but what risk is candy to the security of the plane? Can anyone explain the reasoning behind it all?

Over here in the UK, we have had to take all electrical items larger than a phone (laptop, ipad, tablet, hair straighteners etc) and put them in a separate bin than our bag. They haven't moved onto checking food like this. I guess we all want to stay safe in the air but what risk is candy to the security of the plane? Can anyone explain the reasoning behind it all?

I believe the TSA would likely say, it's not actual candy that is a risk, but inappropriate content packed to look like Candy that they are concerned about.

We had to separate food, books & electronics into separate bins at Detroit in July. They did not individually test them, they just needed to be in the separate bins. I looked like a complete newbie traveler b/c I had strategically packed food at the bottom of my bag that I was not planning on needing until later in our vacation (breakfast bars, etc.) and basically had to empty my entire Tetris style packed backpack. I just assumed that there was something specific to that airport that day b/c they did not make us do that at LAX for our return flight.

I didn't need to take food out in Hartford, Dublin, or Munich earlier this month, or Hartford/Atlanta in August. Atlanta had a dog working and we didn't need to take anything out or remove shoes, it was great. I almost always have some sort of snack on me, so this will be annoying.

We were actually talking about how long it's going to be until you're not allowed carryon bags.

Its going to be a big fight because the airlines don't want the liability of broken or stolen laptops and other electronics. I read a while back that airlines' bread & butter is the business traveler. The same ones that pop open their laptop and do work on the flight and take laptops with them. The airlines don't want to lose those customers.

Not only do they strongly suggest you DON'T check certain items like laptops, but there are some other items that are banned from checked luggage, but allowed in carry-on. I carry-on anything I absolutely can't lose should my bags get lost - a days worth of clothes, work laptop, medicine, etc...Of course, a lot of the excessive carry-on issues could be alleviated if the airlines would go back to the days when the first 1-2 checked bags was included in the price.

There's a part of me that wonders if TSA isn't intentionally making this as onerous as possible to push more people to do Precheck. Granted I haven't flown since late July, but these new procedures don't seem to affect folks going through the TSA Precheck line. The last time I went through the Precheck line, I didn't have to take anything out of my checked bag or my laptop case. they just scanned both bags and I was on my way.

My wife and I have TSA Pre. We went through the line at MSY on our way to WDW with our two kids back in April. My daughter had packed one of her babydolls in her backpack. This particular doll is one of those that is intended to be filled with water. Of course, the TSA agent flagged it and had to search her bag. We were terrified that they were going to try to confiscate the doll because it had way more water in it than is allowed. However, the agent, seeing the distressed look on my daughter's face, just had us empty the water out of it and let us go through. I have zero doubt in my mind that had we not been in the Precheck line, they absolutely would have confiscated her doll.

Just curious if the kids have to sign up for TSA Pre also or they get to go through with you since you have it?

This is interesting and I haven't flown since last year, so this is new to me.

I will probably pack in some Clif bars in my carry on, so it's good to know that I'll have to pull them out separately. I actually never have packed in food before on my carry on, but want to bring a few things on our upcoming trip.

Oh, I just remembered I wanted to bring a loaf of pumpernickel bread (don't judge me) home from Florida as it's not easy to find here. Will TSA give me a cavity search if I attempt such a thing? I mean, I can def just eat as much pumpernickel as possible while in FL, but I'd like to bring some home, too.

Oh, I just remembered I wanted to bring a loaf of pumpernickel bread (don't judge me) home from Florida as it's not easy to find here. Will TSA give me a cavity search if I attempt such a thing? I mean, I can def just eat as much pumpernickel as possible while in FL, but I'd like to bring some home, too.
I think your fallback position should be to stand there at eat the entire thing if they refuse it.

We had to separate food, books & electronics into separate bins at Detroit in July. They did not individually test them, they just needed to be in the separate bins. I looked like a complete newbie traveler b/c I had strategically packed food at the bottom of my bag that I was not planning on needing until later in our vacation (breakfast bars, etc.) and basically had to empty my entire Tetris style packed backpack. I just assumed that there was something specific to that airport that day b/c they did not make us do that at LAX for our return flight.

Interesting because they didn't make me do it in Detroit in September! I don't think I had any food in my bag, but they definitely were not asking people to take it out. They did make us take out our iPads which was new (I had 2). I asked if that was new and they said yes, they were a pilot airport for that but it would be going everywhere soon.

Pumpernickel bread is everywhere around me :P
But you'll just need to take it out and put it in a bin itself (or along with any other foods you have). Just make sure you get there super early. Never know how long TSA is going to take these days.

Pumpernickel bread is everywhere around me :P
But you'll just need to take it out and put it in a bin itself (or along with any other foods you have). Just make sure you get there super early. Never know how long TSA is going to take these days.

Thank you for the advice; pumpernickel is WORTH it!

There was talk about not letting electronics in carry on bags earlier this year. Someone either threw a fit to the administration or pointed out how that would never work since they quickly decided not to do that.

I would be in trouble if this happened to me. I have a defib/pacemaker. Along with that is a monitor that collects data and transmit it. (it does it at night).
No way would I check that. All I need is for it to go missing!!

Put it in a clear container and they should just swab the outside.

I know how you feel though, Vegas wanted us to open our DDs shelf stable milk so they could test it. I told them it'd be no use to me opened and that I was allowed to carry milk for a baby. So I had to get a full pat down and bag search, which somehow convinced them the milk was fine. They even let me pick which bag to search. I decided next time I was going to strip to my underwear for them. It is all theater.

Make it exciting..don't wear the underwear.

I think your fallback position should be to stand there at eat the entire thing if they refuse it.

Remember:
  • Take smaller bites of food to begin with (it’s easier to chew smaller morsels)
  • Chew slowly and steadily
  • Chew until your mouthful of food is liquefied or lost all of its texture
  • Finish chewing and swallowing completely before taking another bite of food
  • Wait to drink fluids until you’ve swallowed
. Chew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts