New flooring in rooms - No carpets

I think Poly is changing their rooms now too - or are they still in "test" mode?

We stayed at POP for 2 nights in one of the refurbed rooms and I thought the floors were dirty. I did not think about how many people turn down housekeeping services. That would absolutely lead to more buildup, and a quick damp mop would not be sufficient.

What they need to have is a place by the door to take off and store your shoes. No one should be walking inside of their room with their shoes on. That is what brings in the nastiness. The way Japan does it is so much better, they tell you to take your shoes off and provide slippers. Americans are gross about that kind of stuff.

What they need to have is a place by the door to take off and store your shoes. No one should be walking inside of their room with their shoes on. That is what brings in the nastiness. The way Japan does it is so much better, they tell you to take your shoes off and provide slippers. Americans are gross about that kind of stuff.

Especially at resorts with exterior hallways.

As a person with dust and mold allergies that are aggravated when traveling, I'm looking forward to trying out the renovated rooms later this year. I think it will be a welcome change! I also just like the look of hardwood floors - we have them throughout our home - and I think I'll like the look of the new laminate floors at CSR.

Didn’t I see that the new renovated resort rooms at AKL have full hard wood/laminate flooring as well?

ETA, Ha, @P’colaBeachBum beat me to it!
I'd be quite surprised to see them come back to any new reno with carpet IN the rooms. I'd never say never mind you

I'd be quite surprised to see them come back to any new reno with carpet IN the rooms. I'd never say never mind you

At least until hotel design trends swing back the other way at some point. The whole hard flooring style definitely isn’t unique to Disney these days in some brands.

Give it 8-10 years and they’ll be putting in shag carpet. ;-)

Last edited:
Am I the only one that doesn't care for this? We stayed at CSR last year and had a refurb room. Loved the look, but honestly, hated having the hard flooring rather than carpet. Looks dirty quicker, dust floats around, and not nearly as nice on bare feet in the middle of the night, lol. I realize it probably holds up better and is easier to maintain and repair, but we definitely prefer the carpets.

I can’t imagine walking around a hotel room in bare feet!! Who knows what’s in that carpet??? Maybe I’m paranoid, but hotel carpets totally gross me out.

So happy they are getting rid of carpet in the rooms.

Carpet holds, dirt, stains, bed bugs, odors and other allergens. The laminate flooring is a much better choice all around. My gosh just the thought of toddlers or little one's peeing on the carpet! Ugh, disgusting.:crazy2:

I have wood floors in my home but I also have a lot of rugs. All this laminate looks cold and sterile to me. Easier to keep clean, though, so I can see why they are moving toward it. But I can't help but wish they'd just replaced the carpeting.
I thought I disliked all the patterned, polyester bedspreads back in the day, too - but now I miss them:rotfl:

I have wood floors in my home but I also have a lot of rugs. All this laminate looks cold and sterile to me. Easier to keep clean, though, so I can see why they are moving toward it. But I can't help but wish they'd just replaced the carpeting.
I thought I disliked all the patterned, polyester bedspreads back in the day, too - but now I miss them:rotfl:
That’s what we have, wood floors covered with rugs. Very popular in our neck of the woods. I have seen the newer laminate that looks decent, they are installing grey laminate when renovating the rooms and hallways at senior retirement where my mother lives. Maybe that is why the laminate floors at Disney resorts look somewhat institutional to me.

It probably helps control bed bug and other critter outbreaks, and also gives you the under-the-bed storage for your luggage. I prefer carpet but appreciate the advantages.

I didn’t really care for it at FQ, seemed so hollow in the room. Might have been because it was a king room and had a lot of open floor space. Don’t fool yourself and think it’s cleaner. Try wetting a towel and run it across the floor with your foot. I spilled water and grabbed a towel to wipe it up, it was filthy. If they are actually going to clean it, it would be cleaner than carpet.

I’m a teacher, and my school district is slowly switching all classrooms over from carpet to tile. Teachers are not pleased. The tile is louder, kids don’t want to sit on it for sitting activities, and it looks filthy by the end of the first class every day. My classroom was done last summer so I’ve taught this whole year on tile. I wasn’t thrilled at first, mostly bc of the noise, but after the first time a kid puked on the floor, I couldn’t have been more thankful my room was carpet free. I’m also thankful that more and more hotel rooms are becoming carpet free. I’ve had two 14 year old boys puke in my classroom this year alone. I can imagine it’s happened in many a Disney resort room. Ick.

Stayed in a refurbished room at ASMo in January for 12 days. I have to say housekeeping was terrible. I don't think in the entire stay the floors were even dry moped as the dust bunnies ran wild.:laughing: I never go barefoot in any hotel room the thought just grosses me out. I also thought that carpeting lowered the noise level. I could hear almost every word of the people in the next room. I had a connecting room (not by choice) which may have been part of the issue.

Am I the only one that doesn't care for this? We stayed at CSR last year and had a refurb room. Loved the look, but honestly, hated having the hard flooring rather than carpet. Looks dirty quicker, dust floats around, and not nearly as nice on bare feet in the middle of the night, lol. I realize it probably holds up better and is easier to maintain and repair, but we definitely prefer the carpets.
I agree with you. The floors cause more noise and are dirty. If you walk around in socks or even bare feet on them, don't look at the bottoms of your feet before you get in bed. You'll be disgusted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!