NEW...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DF,
Yes, it is my ss mug! LOL. I LOVE It. Fits my personality.
I have been checking my reservations almost daily
:D I was so thrilled to see them actually on the website as it took a while for the ressie to show up there. I did call and get preferred plus because of the AAA membership. I don't really know what that will get me though. It does say on the website that requests can't be granted until checkin, so I was hoping..... We shall see. ONly 55 days to go!
Little newsletter would be great!!

Can't wait to get there.

Cathy

Madge~This is indeed peculiar! (W/regards to the Crib and # of persons permitted in a room). I would call the room manager and inquire as to the specific reasoning behind this "rule" (if it IS truly a rule). I'll clean out my PM box...promise. ::yes::

DisneyDmbNut You Poor dear...Of course you can sit here awhile! Stay as long as you like, and you don't have to sit in the corner. I visited the WL thread this am, to take a peek~:eek: , and have to agree. Sometimes, it's better to wait-out such a storm in a nice, safe... comfy place. You have found that here on our thread. You're always welcome. :hugs:

Kaycee~Thanks for noticing our "cleaned-out" new digs!
:sunny: You will love the SPG benefits. I'm glad you found the tip on the SPG desk prior to leaving. ::yes::

As for the restaurants, Since we have yet to visit the Blue Zoo, my DH would vote for Shula's every time. He's a member of that "eat-the-whole-cow" club, and LOVES the Dolphins too! He has a special signed football, which was offered specifically to members, signed photos and other items. Your DH could sign up in advance on the Shula's steakhouse website, (http://www.donshula.com/) and receive special offers and updates via email. The food is fabulous, and it's such a nice relaxing atmosphere, where the servers truly "pamper" you with attention. We have dined solo, as well as accompanied by our DD (16). Yet, she is not a beef-eater, so was not too impressed with the main fare. I, on the other hand, loved every item. It is ala carte, and pricey...but worth every penny. I believe you would love it there for a grown-up night-out. Be sure to leave the boys instructions on where you'll be, and how to call the restaurant using the operator, etc. Peace of mind, always makes for a delicious and enjoyable dining experience (IMHO). If you want any tips/hints on specific menu items (some DO NOT MISS), just let me know.

Cathy~Wonderful!! You too!!! We must do a newsletter and update on things, etc.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you regarding your requests. I have about 5 months to go...and am SOOooo excited!! Perhaps I'm always excited...one of those helpless happy types, whom finds glee in the simplest of things! :hyper:

Mouseteacher~Where are you? Hope you are enjoying the beautiful day with family. Happy Valentine's Day! :)

TTFN...DF99 :wave2:

Hi everyone,

We checked into the Swan about 5 hours ago and my entire family agrees that it's wonderful!! WOW!! We love it!! Thanks again to anyone who has given me advice on this resort.

For anyone that's interested, you can have club level access and be on a seperate floor. Because of Hockeymom's recommendations I asked for a 7th floor balcony room facing Epcot and got exactly that!! I am looking out the window at the Epcot ball as I type this message and I'm waiting for the fireworks to begin!! I did pay for CL access using the teacher rate because I didn't want to chance the upgrade. We visited the lounge for the nightly offerings and enjoyed it. So far we have walked to the Dolphin, The boardwalk, and the Y & B Club. The grotto pool looks awesome so I hope to go in it tomorrow if I ever get my bathing suit which leads to.....

The only bad thing that's happened is that my one piece of large luggage was missing. The airline found it and is supposed to be sending it on a later flight. This suitcase has ALL of my clothes and some of my boy's clothes as well as toiletries, etc. What's strange is that my husband's suitcase made it just fine!!

I will be lost(no pun intended) without that suitcase!! Wish me lots of luck.

JGates~If you are reading this, I already got all of your brochures at the Swan desk!!

Joanne

:wave2:

Joanne - Thank you!!! Tell MamaT hello if you see her. I don't know if she will even remember us! Short dark haired banker gal with a son who just graduated and a cute (at that time) 9 year old. We'll never forget her but I don't know how she can remember everyone else!!!

I would use that missing piece of luggage to invest in a new shirt and shorts or pants or dress or......you get the idea......:p The Dolphin gift shop is bigger than the Swan gift shop.

DisneyDmbNut - I have not visited the source of your distress yet and by the time I do I'm sure they will have cleaned it up, but you are always welcome to visit with us. We love new friends!!!

Wave to the sorority! Be sure to visit the Sorority thread sometime this weekend. Posting info of potential plans and gathering info into the Magical Gatherings planner.

jmcross Every time I go to the Swan or Dolphin I am told that they are "cracking down" on letting people have access to CL from another floor. (*Even Thabo told me this personally.) I am thinking the real secret is if you are Platinum SPG. THEN I hear of exceptions to the rule. But I have had no luck as a Preferred, Preferred Plus, and now a Gold SPG member. Someone else post and let us know if that has been your experience as well. Hope your suitcase comes soon, and don't forget to leave a note at the Concierge desk filed under Sigma Delta Sorority for the next person!

Dreamflight Thank you for starting the new thread! I was under the impression you could go to 180 pages instead of 150 (LOL! WRONG!!) I'm glad we're still going strong after all this time. PSLOUDIDNOTRECEIVEANYPROCEEDSFROMTHEMUGCAPERSOIUSEDMYOWNDESIGN!IAMCONSULTINGHIMFORANYFUTUREENDEAVORSBECAUSEHEISMULTITALENTEDANDLOVESUS!

Lou Thanks for the photos they were awesome!

maggiewWhen I went to the Swan and Dolphin in January, the Swan had only redecorated the 2nd floor hallways. *I stopped the elevator on every floor coming down from CL level to be sure! But they are definitely planning to change the hall decor as well.

TIPS FOR PICTURE TAKERS: Before the Hallways are redone, if you really like the clouds and beach scenes... take pictures of your kids or family members sitting underneath the beach umbrellas and with a hand on top of the beach balls! This makes a really GREAT memento type photo, and actually comes out very well with flash!

mompoppins So glad you got snow before your trip to WDW! Seems the magic is already beginning for you!

DisneyDMBnut KNOWWHUTUMEAN.... :chat: Stop by and chat with us any time!

Madge SOMETHING has definitely changed! We have STAYED at the Swan (and Dolphin) recently with all five of us! Last July and October. The Crib fits nicely in the room. We moved a bench over once and put her in the corner next to the window. This was just perfect and not crowded at all. You should ask the next time you call what has CHANGED?? I will PM you with a referral. If you find out a concrete reason why their policy is now different, please let us know!

:wave2: Hi to Mouseteacher, ozzie, zurgswife, jgates, #1HM and all the rest of the Sorority house!

Since I am here...eating some brownies I found in the corner (yum)...What are these Heavenly Beds??

on a big puffy marshmallow.... or a cloud (RE Heavenly...!) LOL! and you get the idea. They are beds designed to make you late for an early Character Breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table! The pillows match the bedding for comfort. Most people will try to recreate this bed at home... More people will post on this topic to be sure!

Hey all.. and Hey there Betsy.... :) yes.. it's me.. Valentine! The Heavenly beds are just that.. Heavenly!!! Like nothing you could ever possibly imagine!! I even purchased a featherbed topper for my bed at home after my stay at the Swan over NYE..... The beds at the Swan are all Heavenly Beds.. and the Dolphin should be all heavenly soon.. if not already.. am I right on that one regulars??? I don't know what they do to those beds.. but even my featherbed cannot compare... I can't wait to return to mama t and the swan..... what a great place.... another reason I regret not becoming a teacher!!! Darn!!! Happy Me Day all!! LOL LOL LOL!!

Kathy :wave:

Ummmm.. Disbug.. LOL I see you and I replied at the same time.. sorry OT.. but what is the DD Singing at the MK reference in your trip countdown??? I would LOVE to know!!!

I have had a feather bed on my mattress for years...I think I will have to try this..

I am so sad...I can't believe what is going on in the Lodge...I am stunned!

DisneyDN~I can tell you that the heavenly bed is very comfortable. I am at the Swan right now and I am only awake because my luggage still has not arrived. :mad:

I am looking forward to trying a chocolate croissant in the morning and telling Mama T or Thabo(if I see them) hello and how much everyone loves them!

I had a perfect view of the Epcot fireworks and saw fireworks also way off in the distance. I'm assuming MK. Anyone know if you can see MK fireworks from the east side of the Swan??

The service here has been extraordinary. Everyone is so nice and I would highly recommend this hotel!

Joanne
:teeth:

Oooooo.. how exciting.. you are at the Swan Now!!! Good for you... But Oh.. sorry about your luggage.. the only reason I am NOT jealous is that I have my Kitty sitting on my lap now... and I feel SOOOO guilty when at Disney and leaving them at home.. NOW if I could figure out how to get them there with me.. that would be just perfect!!! LOL!!! I hope you have a great evening... enjoy that Heavenly bed.. and your trip.... with or without your luggage.. But I do hope it shows up!!! And Mama T is great.. and btw.. she says.. Luv ya ... mean it... LOL.. It's true!!

The house is LIVELY this eve, with regulars and guests! Welcome...one and all! :wave2:

jmcross~ :wave: Joanne! Posting LIVE from the Glorious SWAN. :goodvibes: So sorry to read about the missing suitcase (nothing a Fresh~chocolate croissant and some fresh-squeezed florida sunshine in a glass on CL won't remedy!). I truly believe the airlines target women, as I've lost more than one bag...and DH is "0 for 0"! Drats...it would have to be the bag you have EVERYTHING packed in too....ugh. Well, chin~up! As J posted, you could always use it to your benefit, and p/u some duds in the Dolphin gift shop (adorable stuff there). :teeth:

*Give my love to Mama T and Thabo! :hugs: I'll see them this summer.

You're on my FAVORITE FLOOR of the SWAN! The Views are astounding...and I LONG to see some pics (do you have your digi cam w/you?). YES...YES!!! Those were the MK fireworks you saw from the East side. We have seen them too...from the Dolphin! How AWESOME is that? Aren't you just LOVING it there?

Disbug~Hello dear sister! :wave2: Sorry you have not had luck with the "Club access privs from the different floor" thing. I have always had this arrangment, even when I was merely a regular entry-level SPG (using points for the upgrade). Perhaps because I "insisted" (in a nice way) to have the Balcony room on the far east wing! Now, as a PLAT SPG member, I have not experienced any problem when reserving the Exec. suite each summer.

*I LOVE your hallway photo-op tip! I recall seeing a picture of someone's DD under an umbrella in this fashion (on one of our previous threads). It was priceless. ::yes::

DisneyDmbNut~You have WONDERFUL WIT! (Brownies in the corner...LOL, they are my specialty! I always add extra Nestle toll house chips, for the additional richness needed for such a comfort~food treat. Help yourself, dear. They taste best with a frosty mug of milk, too. :hug:) Please, don't stay too long in the corner. We welcome you into the inner circle of friends here..."mi casa, et su casa."

*The "Heavenly beds" so beautifully described by Disbug, Valentine and jmcross, are manufactured especially for the WESTIN & SHERATON names (under starwood management) be SERTA Brand. The Westin (SWAN) has the HEAVENLY BED, and the Sheraton (DOLPHIN) has the SWEET SLEEPER. They are basically the SAME BED. The mattress is designed for a "cloud~like" sleep experience, with all the sheets being a high thread count, satin duvet with an incredible feather baffled topper inside, the pillows are also feather, and heavenly. They even offer HEAVENLY CRIBS and HEAVENLY BATHS! I too (like you, Valentine), purchased a King Size Feather topper and Duvet for our master bed. I'm planning to also buy one for DD's queen bed as well. (We have Stearns and Foster Mattresses...and LOVE them). :teeth: You can purchase the entire SET, including the mattress, if desired.

*So sorry for all the trouble currently occurring in the Lodge. Kimmar is a special friend, and must be distressed by all the "goings-on" over there. :( I enjoy having you over here, and answering questions regarding the Swan/Dolphin.

Heading over to the LODGE to "lurk" and check on things. I'll be back soon. XO

TTFN...DF99 :wave2:

DF~Yes, I do have my digital camera so between my DH and I we can figure out how to post some. Anything in particular you'd like to see?

I had a lot of trouble sleeping worried about my suitcase. I finally fell asleep when they called at 3:00 a.m. to tell me it was here! I was so happy that I couldn't sleep after that! Oh well, since I'm on vacation I'll have to nap later!:o

My family is bugging me to get going now. We are off to the MK for the EMH!

I'll post more later....

Joanne
:earsgirl:

I'm becoming ever so addicted to this thread!:D Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks DF99 for your help again - I am truly grateful to know that I always have a Swolphin expert on hand :teeth: You're the best :Pinkbounc

thanks for the advice, Lisa and Denise :) I appreciate it!!

maybe they just don't want my family at the Swan, LOLOL.....we've stayed there before, maybe someone remembered us :eek:

kids are off school tomorrow, so I don't know if I'll get anything accomplished in regards to this reservation. as of today, they still think we are spending spring break in tennessee :hyper:

Originally posted by jmcross
DisneyDN~I can tell you that the heavenly bed is very comfortable. I am at the Swan right now and I am only awake because my luggage still has not arrived. :mad:

I am looking forward to trying a chocolate croissant in the morning and telling Mama T or Thabo(if I see them) hello and how much everyone loves them!

I had a perfect view of the Epcot fireworks and saw fireworks also way off in the distance. I'm assuming MK. Anyone know if you can see MK fireworks from the east side of the Swan??

The service here has been extraordinary. Everyone is so nice and I would highly recommend this hotel!

Joanne
:teeth:

I am so glad your room is wnderful Joanne! Missing those chocolate croissants....as well as the fantabulous Mama T :)

Here's the scoop on the Heavenly Beds....

http://www.starwood.com/westin/service/reservations_service.html

my DH doesn't like them, thinks they're too squishy, LOLOL....

Originally posted by dreamflight99
[b The mattress is designed for a "cloud~like" sleep experience, with all the sheets being a high thread count, satin duvet with an incredible feather baffled topper inside, the pillows are also feather, and heavenly.

WOW!!! I think I need a cigarette after that....WOW!!

Maybe I should buy this mattress...I am needing one now...especially after I go torch mine today so I can buy the Heavenly Bed!!!

Whew ... y'all have been busy! I tried to rush through all 4 pages just to catch up.

I have an idea/suggestion. Since we would like to stay on the Resorts thread ... why don't we limit (I know a word we try to avoid) our posts to mostly S/D matters and start another thread on the community Board. Or just use Disbug's Sorority thread for all of our "other": discussions? :confused:

I leave Thursday for WDW ... I've been behind on updating my countdown timers. I have a ressie for Blue Zoo but I may cancel it and just go in April with my whole family. But I liked Fresh so much the last time, that may become a regular luncheon visit!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter